• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to include games too.

The most interesting draw to a story for me is usually the Villain. Having an interesting character with depth and desires opposing your hero makes the victory all the more greater.

It probably stemmed from a love of Disney movies as a child. I saw Scar, Cruella, and Jafar as interesting characters because most villains I had seen at that point were just "the bad guy" the hero needed to beat.

A villain as an individual can only do so much so they generally add a couple of henchmen bought with their ill gotten gains. This is typically where most Bond villains end up for the most part.

As I grew I found myself liking villains who were the protagonists of their own story, an antagonist.

The antagonist type I have always been most interested in is the "evil" empire. An opposing force with a different belief structure, not always inherently evil but with a fundamental different belief.

I was inspired to make this thread after having a long conversation with a friend about the differences between the Empire in Star Wars and the Principality of Zeon in Gundam.

So who are some of your favourite evil empires ERA? Which empire dresses sharpest? Which empires have interesting ideologies? What makes your favourite empire compelling?

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2000px-Republicanlogo.svg.png

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Deep State led by Empress Clinton and Grand Admiral Obama and their underground lair of mole men.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
I like movies about the British Empire such as Zulu and The Man Who Would Be King.

Dec 31, 2017
The COG from Gears of War.

-PoW camps
-conscripting civilians
-repeated use of weapons of mass destruction (against both the Locusts and the Humans).
-Human experimentation

They're sort of like Kratos. You're straight up playing the bad guy and they don't shy away from it.

They'd be pretty despicable villains in any other story and the antagonists weren't a step even below them.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Umbrella seems pretty cool.

Edit: looking at some of the posts here. I take it that business empires don't count?

Oct 25, 2017
America!

For real though, probably the Fire Nation. They were evil, but once you got there you were able to kind of understand the mindset that permitted themselves to be this way.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Principality of Zeon from Gundam was cool for some reason.

Probably because of this mfer:
Char_Aznable.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
There's definitely an argument for the Imperium of Man in the Warhammer 40k universe being evil. Aggressively Xenophobic, totalitarian galactic spanning empire that keeps its citizens in line with oppressive religious dogma.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Imperium of Man from WH 40K has most every other evil empire beat and they're the "good" guys aka us. Everything else in the universe anywhere near their level is just as bad or worse. Let's not even get into the followers of the Chaos Gods.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Sith Empire under Revan. In all honesty, Revan is actually the good guy in all of this.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
23444482.jpg

The Imperial Republic of Falcrest aka The Masquerade from The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

The way they work insidiously and not as a blunt, aggressive military force, being gracious and accommodating and all around nice as the way to get what they want.

They come bringing resources and trade, slowly introducing the use of their own currency as a part of doing business with them, ignoring the social aspects of a culture they abhor(like homosexuality) in the early stages of their relationships with new cultures, opening schools and teaching children freely while indoctrinating them, and before long the work is done.

Currency and culture in place of the sword.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Tarquin from the Order of the Stick. He basically had all his bases covered. Even if someone overthrows him, his lackeys are the head of thecl rebellion. The entire area is rigged in his favor.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
This is a rough one for me because usually it's about how interesting the characters are, and the best fiction usually has lots of shades of grey for me. I'd have to pick any of a number of antagonistic empires or nation states in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series from Steven Erikson.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Gotta go with the most famous of them, even if their elite soldiers can't shoot worth shit and their super weapons have obvious flaws that should've been fixed before a farm boy from Tatooine got a chance to destroy the first and the coolest guy in the galaxy the second.
300px-H5Covenant_Logo2.png

The Covenant from Halo come in at a close second.

Last edited:

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
One colony, dropped to earth to gain a quick victory and as such, independence. Has pros and cons, not really evil.
Almost a third of humanity died in the opening week of that war from the poison gas and nuclear weapons. The colony drop that turned a chunk of Australia into a new bay was just the capstone to the carnage.

Also, the de facto leader of Zeon literally compared himself to Hitler. The Zeons were modeled on the Nazis, in much the same way that the Empire from Star Wars was.

Zeta Gundam has space colonists fighting against a new fascist faction of the Earth government, but the Neo Zeon army was still used as a villains. They still dropped more colonies to massacre even more people, and weren't above other warcrimes. The fact that the Neo Zeon asteroid base was named Axis probably wasn't a coincidence either.

The fact that both the creators and fans of Gundam continue to be in love with Zeon and try to make it sympathetic despite all of this is one of the more uncomfortable aspects of the series.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Is massacring millions of civilians a pro or a con in your book?
To be fair, using gas for the colony drop only became a thing in 08th MS Team, before that, it was just an empty one, IIRC. As for killing them, meh, neither pro nor con, considering the goal in mind.

Almost a third of humanity died in the opening week of that war from the poison gas and nuclear weapons.

Zeta Gundam has space colonists fighting against a new fascist faction of the Earth government, but the Neo Zeon army was still used as a villains. They still dropped more colonies to massacre even more people, and weren't above other warcrimes. The fact that the Neo Zeon asteroid base was named Axis probably wasn't a coincidence either.
Been a while since I watched the series but was that even from canon sources (animated stuff)?

We are talking about the Principality of Zeon here.

Feranon

Nov 1, 2017
the diamonds' empire from steven universe

can't go wrong with space babes, especially when they're 50 ft tall

edit: also, the dark kingdom from sailor moon. how did tuxedo mask choose some crybaby highschooler over queen beryl? smh