Do You Tip Grocery Cashiers or Bag Staff?

• Never

Votes: 1,424 97.3%
  • Absolutely

Votes: 15 1.0%
  • It Depends

Votes: 25 1.7%

• Total voters

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Is this some kind of american thing I am to european to understand?
Not only the tipping thing but the existence of baggers?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The poll results restored faith in y'all because when I saw the thread title I was mildly irritated that this could even be a thing, I must say :P

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
In Germany we would bag the bagger before tipping ourselves.

And yeah, I would tick the "confused European" option mentioned on the first page.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
We got randomly searched when I worked at a supermarket, you'd be suspended on the spot if found with cash on you.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Never tip as I never go to a human cashier, I scan my groceries myself as I put them in my trolley and pay at the auto checkout.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I always bag my own groceries as the cashier scans them, and offer the bagger there a chance to take a quick break while I check out. You have to be fast about running your card through because I don't want to delay the line, but man if I can even give a moment's peace to the hard workers at the store I at least want to offer it.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
In my country you put your groceries in your bag yourself. And then look through your check to make sure you weren't scammed.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the tipping that's confusing me not being from the US, it's more the fact you guys apparently have staff to bag it for you? That's throwing me through a loop. That seems incredibly unnecessary

Dec 22, 2017
I was a bagger/cart boy in high school and it was customary to tip us when we helped people out to their car. Usually made an extra $100 ahead of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This was a family owned IGA where everyone was treated really well, and we had high customer loyalty. We were paid $1-2 over minimum wage and got a week paid vacation every year, which was unheard of in the late 90's for a part time job. Probably the best job I've ever had and all downhill since LOL.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Absolutely not. Tipping a cashier? For doing their job? No.

Baggers who actively walk your groceries to the car, that's a little different. It's why I purposefully carry those bags myself so I don't get into that situation. There are few more annoying grocery-related interactions than an enterprising bagger wanting to go that extra mile when all I've bought is a carton of milk, eggs, and a Diet Coke.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. On the military base commissary? Of course. Those underage baggers only work for tips.

Take my bags outside and put them in my car? Yes. You did more than what's necessary.

Bag my groceries in store? No🤷

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
Usually not and I've worked as a bagger/cashier at multiple grocery stores. You should tip commissary baggers as they make $0/hour otherwise.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nah. I do everything self check-out.

Is this some kind of american thing I am to european to understand?
Not only the tipping thing but the existence of baggers?
It varies from company to company, but for stores that have dedicated people to push in carts, they normally will also help bag larger orders or help take groceries out to people's cars if they ask for it. I used to see dedicated people who only bagged groceries at checkout, but I haven't seen those in at least a decade.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Cashiers don't get tips.

Baggers, it depends. If you're just getting your groceries placed into bags, no.

But if you are receiving carryout service to your car, you absolutely should be tipping. And no, 25c to $1 is not sufficient.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, back when I worked for a grocery chain back in like 2011, it was prohibited to take tips even if we got offered them.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The only time I've ever seen anyone tip at the grocery store, was back in the day when the baggers would cart the groceries to your car if you needed extra help. Like an old person, or mom with a baby.

Can't even remember the last time I saw someone help like that.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I was a cart pusher/bagger for a couple of summers during my youth. I made it a point to ask customers if they needed help out to their car, but most didn't. The one time I got a tip was a little old lady that I put her groceries in the car for her. Not much, just a few dollars. But it was nice, got a Coke and candy bar on my break with it.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Nope. The grocery store I use apparently is having employee problems. Either the store doesn't want to hire baggers and checkers, because when I usually go to the store I have to basically bag my own groceries. And just the other day they only had 1 checker and no baggers. The line was starting to get long. I use self check out more and more these days.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Bagging groceries was my first job when I was 16. I only got tipped when I would walk a customer out to their car and load their groceries for them.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Well, back when I worked for a grocery chain back in like 2011, it was prohibited to take tips even if we got offered them.
They said the same thing to me. Turns out, they totally had systems in place to allows us to take tips, it just took extra time and effort from management to get it taxed.
I shop at aldi, you bag your own groceries.
The solution to all of this. Germany has grocery retail down to a science. One that somehow seems to benefit literally everyone involved.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I worked at a Walmart as a cashier and at a regional grocery store as a bagger during high school and college. I was offered tips once or twice when I helped someone carry groceries out to their car or unloaded their cart into their car, but never besides those couple of times over the course of about 2 years working in those roles.

I never offer tips now and it's not customary in the Midwest (USA) at least.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I worked at Target when I was younger, and we weren't allowed to accept tips if they were offered. Sometimes we got tips offered when doing carry-outs and such and we had to say no.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If they helped me bring stuff out to my car of course I would, when I worked as a bagger that would happen sometimes but otherwise no. We weren't supposed to but like, not gonna turn down money

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
East coast US here and the only place I have shopped where tipping is the norm would be on military base at the commissary. Being a bagger is a whole thing there and you actually make more than cashiers if you know what you're doing and build up relationships with "regulars" who tip well. Baggers don't get paid wages, just in tips so tipping them is non negotiable imo. It's usually veterans and teenagers, but I know some people in their 50's who have only ever bagged groceries on base.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
this must be an american thing cuz i never seen that in Canada ever thats wild lmao
in Mexico its usually an elderly person that does bags or a young kid so there its not uncommon but again the financial situation in mexico is fucking ass so there its understandable

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bag my own shit. Tipping somebody for putting my stuff in a bag is as weird as tipping somebody pumping my gas. I can do both myself I don't even think about it. It's such a low effort thing to do.