• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
With the recent rise of Joker memes and the phrase "we live in a society" I find myself perplexed by people seemingly making fun of those who critique modern conventions. Why do we no longer celebrate being suspicious of institutions and constructs of modern civilization?

Something to think about this Friday night. Thank you.

330.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatism is the new punk, haven't you heard?
This. Being liberal is now perceived as being 'no fun allowed' because people are blasted with propaganda about liberals telling people 'you can't say this' and 'you shouldn't say that' so now being a libertarian is fun and counterculture and being liberal is being an old stooge that tells you what you CAN'T do. Fuck the man, you should be allowed to say whatever you want and do whatever you want. Hate speech doesn't do anything, just let them say whatever it's cool, etc.

May 21, 2018
Dumb young and white and well-off people rebel without thinking too deeply about what and why they're doing it. They just wanna rebel.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, let's not conform to society's thoughts on why drunk driving is stupid! Or why it's good to wear a seatbelt! Or why we should go to a doctor and accept well-established medical science! Fuck the man!

May 21, 2018
This. Being liberal is now perceived as being 'no fun allowed' because people are blasted with propaganda about liberals telling people 'you can't say this' and 'you shouldn't say that' so now being a libertarian is fun and counterculture and being liberal is being an old stooge that tells you what you CAN'T do. Fuck the man, you should be allowed to say whatever you want and do whatever you want.

Which is a huge irony because the 60's counterculture developed because people were tired of 50's and before conservatism telling them how to behave, dress, and have sex.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The joke is that people talk edgy BS about same old conservatism, pro capitalist, status quo. They think being against minority empowerment is a novel idea. Think Ben Shapiro and Tucker carlson.

"Fascism is cool, kids!"

Oct 25, 2017
The joke is that people talk edgy BS about same old conservatism, pro capitalist, status quo. They think being against minority empowerment is a novel idea.
To many people, minority empowerment is the same as destroying 'white culture,' whatever that is. Same with evangelical Christians thinking they're becoming endangered and oppressed.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get it. Those are the people who are against sex and drugs and are obsessed with religion. How is that cool?
That's why I said libertarian. Libertarians are okay with sex and drugs for the most part, they hate big government more and think we should remove its power and hand it to corporations and let the invisible hand of the free market (God) sort it out. That's what's really in right now as 'counter culture.' Hate speech isn't real, just let everyone say whatever they want to say types. Everyone should be able to buy machine guns at any age and all that.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, kids see 'stodgy adults' freaking out about their favorite gaming personalities saying the 'n-word' and then it becomes them and their culture vs whiny liberals trying to tell them what to do.

Yeah I mean, nobody likes being told what to do but most of us grow out of it. Conservatives are like supervillians where their origin story is always "oh I called the cashier a slur and got kicked out of Arbys so now I'm a first amendment absolutist, have you seen my callipers?"

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
This. Being liberal is now perceived as being 'no fun allowed' because people are blasted with propaganda about liberals telling people 'you can't say this' and 'you shouldn't say that' so now being a libertarian is fun and counterculture and being liberal is being an old stooge that tells you what you CAN'T do. Fuck the man, you should be allowed to say whatever you want and do whatever you want. Hate speech doesn't do anything, just let them say whatever it's cool, etc.

Hmm what you meant as sarcasm has a bit of truth to it actually. Even just describing the phenomenon is impossible though because it requires using words that carry an absurd amount of baggage and will never lead to productive conversation.

Which is basically the issue btw. You can have a guy like me who's onboard with every progressive policy proposal down the line and at the same time be sick of dealing with liberals. Something for ya'll to think about.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm what you meant as sarcasm has a bit of truth to it actually. Even just describing the phenomenon is impossible though because it requires using words that carry an absurd amount of baggage and will never lead to productive conversation.

Which is basically the issue btw. You can have a guy like me who's onboard with every progressive policy proposal down the line and at the same time be sick of dealing with liberals. Something for ya'll to think about.

I only started posting here regularly so I'm not sure about the rules but do we do avatar quotes

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really makes you think when progressives want bigots to be held accountable by society. I'm also having a hard think about how wanting inequality and discrimination to be stomped on is just making idiots go full nazi apparently.

Such deep thoughts.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent rise of Joker memes and the phrase "we live in a society" I find myself perplexed by people seemingly making fun of those who critique modern conventions. Why do we no longer celebrate being suspicious of institutions and constructs of modern civilization?

I don't think that's what they're poking fun at. I think they're poking fun at the sort of ill-informed, coffeehouse stoner adolescent version of that.

If anything people are critical of conventions and mainstream to a fault... or at least by default. Hell, Trump won because of that.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Really makes you think when progressives want bigots to be held accountable by society. I'm also having a hard think about how wanting inequality and discrimination to be stomped on is just making idiots go full nazi apparently.

Such deep thoughts.

Nah, I'm totally ok with holding them accountable.

Automatically framing the discussion in such a way that anyone who has qualms with modern progressives is ok with bigots and nazi's /not/ being held accountable is a common trend though.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a reflection of a society rebounding from one of the darkest economic periods in US history. When you're afraid, you conform to whatever pays the bills and feeds the family. We're also seeing blowback from what some perceive as extreme liberalism. Thus, Trump and a more 80s like youth culture (materialism, pop music) vs. a 90s like youth culture which celebrated counterculturism.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I never understood what that "we live in a society" part of that "Gamers Rise Up" meme was supposed to mean anyway.

It just reminds me of...

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood what that "we live in a society" part of that "Gamers Rise Up" meme was supposed to mean anyway.

It just reminds me of...

it's a shorthand for the sort of ankle-depth, shallow whining about why society is the way it is and that we should do something about it or something maybe.

You know, the sort of stupid shit in political cartoons and stoned college freshmen dorm rooms about 'hey man, why are people glued to their phones, its like slavery to technology.' Or how 'nice guys' get passed over for chads.

The full sentence could become "We live in a society where the Kardashians get millions of dollars for being trashy on TV but people are still begging on the streets" or something of that nature.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
GASP. Wanna relevantly gauged opinion in numerical schnumericals?

Previously in TissueBox inquiries...!!

Polled here, many claim it doesn't even exist anymore.

Conforming was never cool -- that perception is distorted with age. But conformity is order. It is a crucial asset. It is about the collective -- and the world today learns more and more that they exist not in a vacuum, that it is a diverse, gigantic web of cultures and systems and economies, and this information is consolidated, made freely accessible, and turned into the spearheads of ethical conduct in tuned in communities -- and the internet is one big tuned in lobby.

So there is little 'rational' room for the individual in a line of congested traffic today. Those who break away no longer have the wiggle space to upend norms while also possessing the luck, acumen, or will to uphold the moral normative's end game, because the information age and the digitized social platform necessitates precision on an extensive scale.

THUS THE SUCCESS, for in making society 'good', it is made good to conform and suppress the individual's innate will to irresponsibility which arises at the intersection between schema and comfort-diminishing idea.

In other words, it's not cool to conform. It's conscious. And growing more so, with technology's spur.

Youth will always be young. As long as society exists, there will be a rebel. As a minority, as a hate group, the cool never dies. But counterculture as singular vindication, as a willful resistance, already has.

*grabs pizza slices and chokes on anchovies*

Last edited:

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017

Something to think about this Friday night. Thank you.

330.jpg

I'd venture that this particular brand of cynicism has been assimilated by the status quo and all it entails (capitalistic ideas, white ethnostate, marketplace of ideas blah blah)

Kinda like how The Matrix terminology was claimed.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about whatever memes are going around.

BUT, people haven't conformed to society since forever. Unfortunately, that also means fucking nazis.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Did I ever tell you how I got these scars? This was a day at the beach unlike any other. The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli. I got about fifty feet out and suddenly, the great beast appeared before me. I tell you he was ten stories high if he was a foot. As if sensing my presence, he let out a great bellow. I said, "Easy, big fella!" And then, as I watched him struggling, I realized that something was obstructing its breathing. From where I was standing, I could see directly into the eye of the great fish. Mammal. Whatever. Well then, from out of nowhere, a huge tidal wave lifted me, tossed me like a cork, and I found myself right on top of him - face to face with the blowhole. I could barely see from the waves crashing down upon me, but I knew something was there. So I reached my hand in, felt around, and pulled out the obstruction. And the crowd went wild! They were all over me. It was like Rocky 1. Diane came up to me, threw her arms around me, and kissed me. We both had tears streaming down our faces. I never saw anyone so beautiful. It was at that moment I decided to tell her I was not a marine biologist!

ach1eoiwqiv01.jpg

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually know what the "we live in a society" meme actually means, is it complaining about people conforming and that society needs to be upended, or that people are upending society by not conforming, or maybe that conformation is what is upending society? All I know is that people who post this meme are more likely to be the ones that commit a mass shooting and/or van attack.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm totally ok with holding them accountable.

Automatically framing the discussion in such a way that anyone who has qualms with modern progressives is ok with bigots and nazi's /not/ being held accountable is a common trend though.

Ok. What are these qualms with modern progressives? Do you have any substantial examples instead of mere vague allusions?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't actually know what the "we live in a society" meme actually means, is it complaining about people conforming and that society needs to be upended, or that people are upending society by not conforming, or maybe that conformation is what is upending society? All I know is that people who post this meme are more likely to be the ones that commit a mass shooting and/or van attack.
I am also curious, someone explain?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Like all things to come from late-millennial/gen-z humor, it has roots in nihilism. It doesn't mean anything. Because nothing does.