• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got back into the latest Paper Mario and was having a great time, but was quickly taken aback when I ran into this bold political statement from Nintendo:

good-bad.jpg

And if that wasn't clear enough, the big boss at the end of that area was
a roll of tape that spoke with a stereotypical New York mobster accent and whose visual gimmick was a loose piece of tape on top made to look like a wisp of blonde hair.

....not the best pic, but having trouble finding a better one online.

This is your daily reminder to go out there and vote. As Nintendo said:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Blue for good and red for bad is a very, very, very, very old thing.

Edit: Also, for confirmations in general.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
You're 2 days late to WeekendERA. Or 3 days too early, depending on your viewpoint.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i came here like "they were the first one that opposed to religious symbols and ...." and i was like oh =P

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Roll of tape reminded me of Donald Trump too so I'm with you OP. Not sure about red vs blue though, I missed that.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania is about taking down the blood sucking owners of the means of production via the whip (representing the proletariat), the holy water (representing the sweat of the masses) and medusa heads knocking you off platforms (representing bullshit).

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Roll of tape reminded me of Donald Trump too so I'm with you OP. Not sure about red vs blue though, I missed that.
On the one hand I think it's a real stretch, but on the other giving the character a stereotypical Italian mobster accent and faux blonde hair makes no sense.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
On the one hand I think it's a real stretch, but on the other giving the character a stereotypical Italian mobster accent and faux blonde hair makes no sense.

I don't know if Treehouse did that on purpose, but in the original Japanese he just talks like a standard punk (no regional accent) and the loose end is a reference to the Ducktail hairstyle, which is strongly associated with that type of character in Japan.

en.wikipedia.org

Ducktail - Wikipedia

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was kinda expecting this to be a LTTP for Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire from the thread title, or something. Because those games definitely go some places, especially for remakes of older games that didn't have any of this stuff in it (Sea Mauville in particular, but even Mauville in ORAS has some... interesting NPC dialogue):
0a9d2kdn.jpg

csubqyxvaae2lzeb9k4k.png

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about Splatoon 2 or something since the DLC was about race and refugees.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
You do realize that the roll of tape's "hair" is supposed to be a pompador, like stereotypical delinquents in Japanese media are often depicted with, right?