• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
He's going to find out on his own and then think "Wow, I'm shocked my dad still believes in this stuff."

/s

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped when I was 10-11. When my nieces (9&7) ask, I answer "as long as you believe it". That's a pretty good route to take with it, I feel.

Just as long as they don't end up like someone I knew growing up. He believed until he was 14-15, for yeah. No bullshit, he honestly believed there was a fucking Santa at that age.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
how tf has he not found out from his classmates yet? or did I just go to a school of little bastards lol

Oct 27, 2017
Start as soon as kids are born so you can prepare them to become angry, bitter and jaded adults like the rest of us.

Let him figure it out for himself.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
If they don't ask you don't say anything, they will find out naturally by themselves and won't really care.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that wasn't raised with the Christian lies that parents still feed their kids I'd say the sooner the better. Unless you want them to look like a buffoon when their peers inevitably tell them.

Exactly imagine looking like a buffoon for saying something stupid.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I never believed in Santa/Tooth Fairy/Magical creatures but I still celebrated all the holidays and enjoyed them.

I think a lot of parents perpetuate these lies for their own benefit rather than their kids'.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I clearly thought it was BS at the time I was 5-6.
I'm not gonna let someone else take credit for presents I bought.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I still believed in Santa and pet heaven. Let him keep that as long as it lasts. The tooth fairy is creepy as hell, though. Rip off that bandaid as soon as possible.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'm still reeling at the revelation pirates are not real. Damn man.
Next your gonna tell me that astronauts are all made up too.

Dec 2, 2017
In my childhood home we had this mound in the garden, it was like a raised bit of grass that looked like something was buried under there. When I was about 6 my uncle told me that one Christmas eve when he stayed over he woke up and bashed what he thought was a burglar over the head, but it turned out it was Santa and to cover it up my uncle buried him in the garden. Fucking freaked me out and I genuinely believed he was buried there.

Don't break the news the same way my uncle did.
I'm sorry what

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly the right time is when having the birds and the bees talk, you say you're hopefully the one coming down he's mother chimney and that way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They'll figure it out (probably pretty soon given your son's age). likely from kids at school. Just let them own it. If you keep it up (perhaps tone it down a bit, don't push the Santa angle hard but don't kill it), he'll eventually mention 'I know he isn't real' and then you can play ignorant a little bit and eventually everyone is on the same page.

If its his to own and to let *you* down gently I think thats a good way to go, rather than 'fuck no, Santa isn't real lol' to his face :)

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I dress as Santa and show up every Christmas Eve for my kids. My son is 6 and my daughter is 3. My son this year started saying Santa you look like daddy. So I'm guessing in another year or two he'll put it together. Still what a magical feeling it is showing up and seeing the excitement on my kids faces. Gonna hold onto that for as long as I can.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let 'em figure it out on his own fam.

This is the way. By the time he's old enough to realize this on his own he'll understand and appreciate what you did for him. That's the way it was for me when I figured it out, and realized how much my parents gave me every Christmas. Wasn't mad at my parents at all. Of course this then also made me realize that Christianity was also a fairy tale, which my parents were less appreciative of.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
When he comes and asks you if Santa Claus is real because some kids at school told him he's not then you tell him the truth as gently as possible. Or he finds out and doesn't bother asking. Either way there's no point in letting a kid down like that over something so innocuous.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Is this an American thing where you pretend that Santa is real? My son who is about to be 8 never believed in Santa because me and my wife always told him that it's not real. It's better the Christmas gifts come from us rather than a dude jumping from a chimney.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Is this an American thing where you pretend that Santa is real? My son who is about to be 8 never believed in Santa because me and my wife always told him that it's not real. It's better the Christmas gifts come from us rather than a dude jumping from a chimney.

not really, it's pretty unniversal, i believed in him too and i'm in switzerland... but i figured it out on my own when i was like 7 or 8

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I think i must have been around 6 when my Mum was taking me into town to shop for my presents so I put two and two together around then, despite my mum telling me that the dumbwaiter lift thing in Argos then your order get sent through comes from the elves in Santas workshop upstairs. It did make Argos seem quite magical though.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
The Best thing about children believing in Santa is they will Resent "Him" instead when they dont get what they want. ;)

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
American here, my family was a "we have to pay Santa" house. It didn't stop my belief in him, that just happened naturally, but it did drive home that my parents were the ones who came through. Santa was just the delivery guy.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Let him be. Even I want to hunt treasures in my backyard now.

No, kids believe in Santa in Brazil too.

Aug 30, 2020
I was 8 we me and my classmates only began to figure it out. At 7 we were still conspirators gathering info.

Seems to me 8-9 is the normal age to undercover this first trivial stage of worldwide conspiracy and lies.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
While you're at it don't forget to also tell him that in the original Sleeping Beauty she isn't woken by a kiss from a prince, but after being raped and impregnated by a king.

Just let him believe his little fun story as long as he can, he'll figure it out by himself at some point. Despite the fact that some here think it's some huge act of betrayal that will ruin the parent/child relationship forever I think it will be fine. Plus I'm pretty sure sitting a child down to reveal this to him will make it seem like a much bigger deal than him just naturally learning or figuring it out by himself.

I'm thoroughly convinced that most of Era is gonna spawn Mark Zuckerbergs

Lol perfectly put.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know that the other kids haven't expose the truth? Or a simple Internet search?

May 21, 2019
Just let him be a kid. Eventually he will discover on his own and he will look back on the good times as a kid, that you enabled.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
The whole Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy thing stressed me out as a kid, because I stopped believing very young but I kept acting like I believed because it seemed like my family really wanted me to. So I didn't do that with my kid. She grew up knowing the stories, but she knew them as just regular stories, not something I expected her to believe. One year she asked us to do Santa for her, so we did Santa big for her, with a custom letter from Santa and a big sack of presents and everything. She enjoyed it and that was that, no more interest in Santa. I don't think her childhood has been any less joyful for that decision.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand this whole "kid resents parents over Santa" thing.

I've never seen this in real life.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped when I was 10-11. When my nieces (9&7) ask, I answer "as long as you believe it". That's a pretty good route to take with it, I feel.

Just as long as they don't end up like someone I knew growing up. He believed until he was 14-15, for yeah. No bullshit, he honestly believed there was a fucking Santa at that age.
I believed in Santa at that age, what's wrong with that?

Mostly because I lived in poverty and couldn't be convinced that my parents could ever afford the hauls Santa brought. Probably 4 parts that and 1 part "well I believe in the Christian God and this isn't any weirder than that."

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I guess the question I have is, what would you do?
Personally, I don't really see the point to the whole Santa thing. I'm Jewish though - but we didn't need to fictionalize our gift giving at the holidays in order to make it fun and memorable.

In fact, it made me really appreciate the few gifts I got since I knew how hard my parents had to work to afford them.

I feel like the truth is better than the "magic" of Santa for kids to know - that their parents love them and wanted to give them gifts.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try explaining to your Jewish son why his classmate keeps talking about Santa and why Santa doesn't even visit our house. The whole thing is so pervasive in media and frankly messed up. We don't celebrate Christmas at all yet our kid, who is only 3.5 years old, knows all about it and is asking us questions. And we have to give answers that explain it but only sort of because we can't tell him it's all a lie because then he might ruin the holiday for his friends, since you know he's 3 and may not get the nuance of pretending Santa is real.
Yea, quite frankly it's absurd how much the media makes you feel like an outsider as a kid during the holiday season if you're Jewish.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm torn because on the one hand I don't think I'd ever have the heart to tell my daughter.

On the other.. he's 8? In second grade? Kids are cruel. My worry would be the other kids will make fun of him if he still believes in this stuff by next Christmas.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Most kids don't give a shit about Santa. The only care about the presents and that's a fact.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
65030.jpg
65030.jpg
son, we need to talk