Oct 28, 2017
And by her I mean Death.

Perhaps I am reading too much into the 616 history of the character and forcing it to the MCU but I also remember the post credits Avengers 1 scene about "courting death."

Seems like there might have been another story to be told that Disney flaked on or maybe (I can't imagine how) we will revisit that thread in some roundabout way.

Please add this thread to your ignored list if old.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was more that he didn't do enough to save his planet, Titan. I could be misremembering, though.

Especially because he says it in a movie where the writers had already decided his crusade was about resources/survival.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think it was not going ahead with his "kill half the population" plan for Titan, because other wouldn't listen to him. He believes he should not have taken no for an answer.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, sounds like a reach. I'm guessing he's referring to his homeworld that died because nobody got on board with his "let's kill half of everybody" plan, and he still regrets not implementing it unilaterally.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
200.gif

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does she even exist in Marvel 199999? They setup her only not to pull on that string. Too out there for the public 14 years ago?

I think it's fair to assume that Death exists but it might not be in the form that we expect. Regardless, I don't think Death has any relationship with Thanos in the MCU universe unless they retcon that in the future.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They don't really bother with the Death aspect of Thanos in the MCU outside of his weird drive to kill half of everything. He's not in love with the literal manifestation of the concept of death. Though on a side note I think MCU Thanos would have actually worked better if he was literally insane instead of the high minded crappola he was extolling.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Does she even exist in Marvel 199999? They setup her only not to pull on that string. Too out there for the public 14 years ago?

Probably would have been perceived as too wild at the time. The "courting death" line was an obvious nod but I just imagine Marvel talking about it and figuring people aren't ready for anything that out there, I guess.

Now that they've gone all crazy multiversal and cosmic and the movies are always stupidly popular regardless of how convoluted, maybe she'll finally be introduced.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
My interpretation is that killing half the universe because you are simping for the female anthropomorphisation of the concept of death is a generic and boring way of writing a character. It's basically just "I did it for my unrequited crush" and it's like....stupid.

I think a lot of people would say what they ended up going with is equally stupid, but imo they ended up writing a slightly more nuanced motivation for him that the literalists in the audience completely missed because the don't between the lines of what he says so they think he's seriously trying to solve a logistical resource problem. Not that they did too much with that more nuanced motivation, it's just kind of there, so it ended up not working that well for me either, but hey, it's something.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

Yes, her.
I think it's fair to assume that Death exists but it might not be in the form that we expect. Regardless, I don't think Death has any relationship with Thanos in the MCU universe unless they retcon that in the future.

See, I thought Death might have been "Hela, The goddess of Death." That would explain how he got the Infinity Gauntlet from Asgard in the after credits Avengers 2 scene and it wouldn't have be as out there as you know some ghostly embodiment of an idea.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The courting death line was obviously a reference to the comics, but Marvel clearly went in another direction when it came time to flesh out his motives in the MCU.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, her.

See, I thought Death might have been "Hela, The goddess of Death." That would explain how he got the Infinity Gauntlet from Asgard in the after credits Avengers 2 scene and it wouldn't have be as out there as you know some ghostly embodiment of an idea.

Hella didn't fulfill the role of "Death" though, so I don't think that's an apt comparison, "Goddess of Death" is more of a title in her case IMO.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
They don't really bother with the Death aspect of Thanos in the MCU outside of his weird drive to kill half of everything. He's not in love with the literal manifestation of the concept of death. Though on a side note I think MCU Thanos would have actually worked better if he was literally insane instead of the high minded crappola he was extolling.

Man really? You would have preferred the usual 'hes maaaad!' type of villain? That is so overused. In my opinion the absolute best thing about Thanos as a villain is that he didnt fit into that cardboard cutout usual villain thats completely over the top insane. Save those stencil tier silly villains for the one off individual movies and let the Team up movies have a big bad with some novelty.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The "courting death" line is a cute nod to the comic, but in the MCU as it developed it just means the most basic interpretation of the line (Thanos is risking his life).

"ignoring [his] destiny" means he failed to prevent the collapse of Titan.

Thanos also never stole the gauntlet from Asgard. Eitri made it for him, the one in Asgard is a "fake" (doesn't really make sense but Marvel clearly changes their minds at some point about the gauntlet's development).

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
The "courting death" line is a cute nod to the comic, but in the MCU as it developed it just means the most basic interpretation of the line (Thanos is risking his life).

"ignoring [his] destiny" means he failed to prevent the collapse of Titan.

Thanos also never stole the gauntlet from Asgard. Eitri made it for him, the one in Asgard is a "fake" (doesn't really make sense but Marvel clearly changes their minds at some point about the gauntlet's development).

I forgot about the fake gauntlet thing. That never made sense not do I understand why they needed to do that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about the fake gauntlet thing. That never made sense not do I understand why they needed to do that.

Because Asgard was going to be completely destroyed by the end of that film in circumstances completely unrelated to Thanos?

Like, you get that everything left in the vault was vaporised, right? Thor even presumed that surtrs destruction would have been enough to destroy the space stone, let alone the random gauntlet just sitting there.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Because Asgard was going to be completely destroyed by the end of that film in circumstances completely unrelated to Thanos?

Like, you get that everything left in the vault was vaporised, right? Thor even presumed that surtrs destruction would have been enough to destroy the space stone, let alone the random gauntlet just sitting there.

Thanos had the gauntlet BEFORE the events of Thor 3.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was just about him not taking extreme action to save titan. That said, I think they'll probably retcon it that he wanted to keep the population down to prevent a celestial emerging in eternals 2 or whatever

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Man really? You would have preferred the usual 'hes maaaad!' type of villain? That is so overused. In my opinion the absolute best thing about Thanos as a villain is that he didnt fit into that cardboard cutout usual villain thats completely over the top insane. Save those stencil tier silly villains for the one off individual movies and let the Team up movies have a big bad with some novelty.

MCU Thanos was the latest in a long line of fictional egomaniacs who commits atrocities with justifications of aiding the greater good. Not exactly what I'd call an underutilized trope and Thanos himself was a fairly Cookie cutter rendition of such a character type. The lady death stuff was much operatic and fitting for such a nonsensically over the top plot as kill half of everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
MCU Thanos really is a Mad Titan. He thinks he's right when he is so obviously wrong and in the end he makes it pretty clear that if he doesn't have his "mission" he is fine with just burning everything to the ground and propping himself up as a false god. He thought it was noble and strong to sacrifice everyone he cared about for the sake of proving himself right.

He is just another "mad" villain he's just written and acted better than most of them, and he wins because the heroes weren't prepared for him.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanos had the gauntlet BEFORE the events of Thor 3.

And the gauntlet shown in the Asgardian vault was there as of Thor 1.

In any case the idea that he had it significantly before Thor 3 doesn't add up with the timeline presented in the film's: Eitri asks specifically why Asgard wasn't there to defend the dwarfs like they were supposed to, and Thor replies that Asgard was destroyed.

The post credit scene of age of Ultron doesn't take place at the same time as the rest of that film, or literally nothing makes sense.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos was just trying on a fake Infinity Gauntlet to get a feel for it before putting on the real thing. Like test driving a car before buying.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Thanos is the most inconsistent character in the MCU honestly.

He's got the "courting death" line in his first appearance.
Then Guardians of the Galaxy presents him as an analog for an abusive father.
Then Infinity War goes "actually he's just misguided in his attempt to save the universe and also he loved his daughter that he was abusing"

Whole thing is a messy and a pretty clear example of what happens when you let multiple writers take a stab as building up a character before deciding on which one to go with.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thanos is the most inconsistent character in the MCU honestly.

He's got the "courting death" line in his first appearance.
Then Guardians of the Galaxy presents him as an analog for an abusive father.
Then Infinity War goes "actually he's just misguided in his attempt to save the universe and also he loved his daughter that he was abusing"

Whole thing is a messy and a pretty clear example of what happens when you let multiple writers take a stab as building up a character before deciding on which one to go with.
He's very clearly a villain in Infinity war and Endgame, not "just misguided." Lots of villains have had lofty reasons for the terrible things they do.

"Courting death" is only inconsistent if you take it as a double meaning based on the comics.

As for loving the daughter he abused…yeah, that's a thing that happens. Also most of the actual abuse we see involves Nebula, who he clearly does not love nor claims to.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
And the gauntlet shown in the Asgardian vault was there as of Thor 1.

In any case the idea that he had it significantly before Thor 3 doesn't add up with the timeline presented in the film's: Eitri asks specifically why Asgard wasn't there to defend the dwarfs like they were supposed to, and Thor replies that Asgard was destroyed.

The post credit scene of age of Ultron doesn't take place at the same time as the rest of that film, or literally nothing makes sense.

I think that's why I think I was confused. Time line is hokey.

Hold up, thats the actual MCU earth name? Why so many 9s lol?

I believe so.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
He's very clearly a villain in Infinity war and Endgame, not "just misguided." Lots of villains have had lofty reasons for the terrible things they do.
If they had the idea for his motivations in mind the whole time he would have been written completely differently in his earlier appearances.

"Courting death" is only inconsistent if you take it as a double meaning based on the comics.
Nah, I've never read a comic book with Thanos in it and I honestly don't know anything about that beyond what I've heard in passing over the years. The "courting death" line is a completely different tone than what he ended up being and acting like. It's weird to me that people try to pretend otherwise.

As for loving the daughter he abused…yeah, that's a thing that happens. Also most of the actual abuse we see involves Nebula, who he clearly does not love nor claims to.
Gamora is absolutely an abuse victim and I think it's really fucked up to refer to refer to what happened to Nebula as "actual abuse" in comparison. GotG2 especially is very much about abuse and the impact it has on it's victims/survivors and I think it's very gross to then play into the "actually Thanos is a soft man inside that loves his daughter", it REALLY bothers me how this is played in Infinity War and I'll leave it at that.

Already got into enough arguments on this forum today about movies I think are average to mediocre at best though so I hope you'll understand if I bow out.
I think Thanos is really inconsistent in the MCU and he could have been written more consistently if they had planned something out from that start. That's my only take. If you disagree, that's also fine.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If they had the idea for his motivations in mind the whole time he would have been written completely differently in his earlier appearances.

Nah, I've never read a comic book with Thanos in it and I honestly don't know anything about that beyond what I've heard in passing over the years. The "courting death" line is a completely different tone than what he ended up being and acting like. It's weird to me that people try to pretend otherwise.

Gamora is absolutely an abuse victim and I think it's really fucked up to refer to refer to what happened to Nebula as "actual abuse" in comparison. GotG2 especially is very much about abuse and the impact it has on it's victims/survivors and I think it's very gross to then play into the "actually Thanos is a soft man inside that loves his daughter", it REALLY bothers me how this is played in Infinity War and I'll leave it at that.

Already got into enough arguments on this forum today about movies I think are average to mediocre at best though so I hope you'll understand if I bow out.
I think Thanos is really inconsistent in the MCU and he could have been written more consistently if they had planned something out from that start. That's my only take. If you disagree, that's also fine.
I absolutely agree that Gamora was abused by Thanos, and abused on camera, as stated in my post. I said that most of of the abuse we see first hand from him in the series is directed at Nebula, where we are none of the "good father" issues you have.

If you don't like the movies, it's obvious that any problem with it would be amplified to you. That's normal, so I get where you are coming from.