• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is sort of an open ended question, but success often requires sacrifice of some sort. Professional, academic, personal accomplishments cannot usually be achieved without significant time and effort. Does striving for something even matter when you'll just become dust in the end? Do you think you'll care about what you accomplished in this live when you reach the end? Or is it better just to try to float through life and take things as they come?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would. I'd at least like to have some sort of legacy or good impact on folk on a significant scale.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
100%

I feel like when I know I'm about to go, I'll spend all my time thinking about what I've done and what I've left behind. It's all that matters in the end

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
As a younger man I would have said no, no way, it literally doesn't matter. But the older I get, the more convinced I am the answer is yes. I think it must be better to look back on one's life and be content with how you spent it, and there is more to that than indulging in uncomplicated pleasures.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The worst thing I can imagine is being on a death bed. I'm hoping when it comes, it's quick and when I don't expect it. I don't want to linger thinking about pulling back the curtain and it just being the blackness of non-existence.

Having said that, if people I've come in contact with over the course of my life believe I've been respectful and been worthy of respect as a person, that's good enough for me. I won't be remembered by many, but I want those people to remember me fondly if at all possible.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes and no. In 10 years I've gone from two suicide attempts to earning two degrees, traveling internationally due to my academic achievements, found a career I enjoy, came out of the closet, and found a community and friends through improv

I never want to stop growing, but I don't worry about what I'll "amount to" anymore. I just want to be at peace when it's my time to go

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I was typing out a response to this but ended up having a mild existential crisis. Sorry gotta duck out of the thread.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I guess but it probably matters least at that time than any other. You'll only be caring about it for a little amount of time.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
My only 2 worries when I'm on my deathbed will be my death being painless and me hoping that my assumption that death is just eternal nothingness is correct.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Yes. And this thought has significantly influenced my life and career decisions. I would like to leave a legacy, giving back and helping as many people as I can. And, as an atheist who doesn't believe there is an afterlife, you realize the true tragedy of those who suffer without redemption. I want to mitigate that suffering.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
No, because if I'm going to think of the good i would need to also consider the bad. Considering my youth was less than stellar in regards to selflessness, making good choices and having good people around me, I'm just going to hope my latter years compensated for it and at most made it all a karmatic wash.

I'll probably binge watch some SciFi stuff and attempt to get all esoteric while on the morphine drip.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's been a fuckin ride, and things are looking dire for the future. I'm glad how I spent my time, tribulations and all.

Less Dota maybe, I could have played less of that. but the only way to learn was overdoing it in the mid-2000s. Everything else I ever did I'm cool with.

edit: I went back to college in my 30s and got a degree in something I actually care about. I don't make a lot of money, but I love what I do / did pre-pandemic. Which was performing jazz and teaching people of all ages to make music.

Last edited:

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trust me, you won't be thinking about your past if you are on your deathbed. Good or bad.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll care about accomplishments (I don't now), but I strive for comfort in old age and death and that means striving for a certain level of wealth and not just floating through life.

My hope is that on my deathbed I'll be thinking of the love of my life and the great hereafter, but I think I'll just be scared more than anything. I'm not very good with the unknown.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I figure IF I ever move past denial, I'll hold fast on bargaining and sadly never be able to relax and accept I'm dying. Just frantic anxiety until the end.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I think the answer to that question will depend entirely on my age.

If I'm 90+, and my body feels like a rusty old tin can by then, most likely not. If I'm under 60, I'll definitely have regrets, worries, and fears. If I'm in between, somewhere in between.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
If I've loved many and been loved by just as many with minimal regrets I will be content with my life and accepting of my approaching death.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
a69.png

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I volunteered at both a hospice and a facility for elderly care when I was a kid. And I don't know. Each person was still different. Some spoke often of their kids, some of random places they'd been, the wars they lived through, and some were just all about what TV shows were big at the time. I don't think any of us really know how we'll be when the time comes.

Personally, I hope I don't care about whatever I did or did not accomplish at the end of my life, only that I lived and can find joy in that alone. It's amazing that life at all exists in the harsh universe, more amazing that it evolved into something as sophisticated as us, and then incredible that we formed societies with art and music and literature. To live at all is something exotically rare, perhaps even unique within the trillions of miles of empty space out there.

Anyways I smoked a joint I found earlier, it's been about a year, so yea. Maybe I am overthinking things.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Personally, I don't think I've accomplished anything worth reflecting back on except for the birth of my daughter and raising her. Aside from that, I just try to take in the moments as they happen.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Sure. Pretty much guaranteed I'll be sorely disappointed. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
It's good to have goals and achieve them, but you'll also never accomplish every possible thing that you'll want to do.

Assuming I'm lucid on my deathbed, I think I'll be happy if I feel like I actually tried to live up to my potential. To feel like I tried to do something that was important to me instead of just existing. It's unlikely any of us will change the world, but we certainly won't if we don't even try.

I guess I could copy pasta the starfish parable here, but that's a little too cliche.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Nah, one of the best days of my life was when I realized none of that stuff matters. Just try and do what you can for other people and stay sane yourself.

I've always found comfort in the quote, "Every corpse on Mount Everest was once a highly motivated individual."

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm afraid of nothingness but i just want people to be chill about it. dying sucks but everybody does it.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt I'd care much about career or education accomplishments but I do imagine I'll regret never forcing myself to even try going on a date. I'm convinced I'm incapable of forming a romantic connection as I just lack whatever it is other people have that drives them to seek out and meet new people and I am content with that right now but I imagine when my family is gone and I'm all alone I won't be so content with it.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Yes, I think about it all the time. For someone of my age the pandemic has been akin to a half-time team talk (hopefully), and there's a lot that I feel like I should have done by this point.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
in an aggregate sense? I doubt it

i'll probably care about specific things that I never got around to doing though, but that's more along the lines of stuff like "damn I never did get around to going skydiving" than accomplishments