• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When you begin a Zelda game do you rename Link?

• Always

Votes: 102 14.9%
  • Never

Votes: 464 67.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 120 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ocarina_of_wtf_by_iamalbertwesker-d3d8ycx.jpg

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
no. In fact, I never rename anyone, unless theres no default name, then I have my go-to name for my characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Always. It's not about immersion (which is an overplayed concept I'm very much against), but about personalizing my file and experiencing the subtle delight of seeing these tokens come up in the game. It's especially pleasant to be thanked in the end credits, should that occur (though it's possible I'm conflating the older Zeldas here with another series).

Rather surprised at the poll, actually. But I also got started on these games in an environment where carts or consoles were commonly traded and shared, and where distinguishing a save was a useful habit that stuck.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, Link has a name already. Only time to name a protagonist yourself is when you don't have a canon one.

It's his story, not the player's.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Always. Named him by the nickname my friends gave me when I was very young in ALTTP. Named him the same ever since! Added CAPS since OoT. Just doesn't feel right when I name him Link.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Not only is Link always named Link but 50% of the time in any game I will name my character Link, and 100% of my children are named Link.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate naming characters in games. At least give me a default name to work with. For games where the characters have no name, I just use Eiju (hero in Japanese).

Jan 11, 2019
In games without voiceacting I always call my character "Doodoo Peepee" or something or something equally mature. Don't judge me. I care not.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Never. Since the first time I played a Zelda game, Link's Awakening, he's always been Link. I never saw him as myself or an avatar. He's been his own character so he should be called by his name.

That renaming of characters shit always bothered me for some reason. Like playing FF7-9 with my friends, they'd always rename the party members Cloud/Squall/Zidane after themselves and then the rest to random shit or just things like "Butthead" and "Farts." Even years later with games like Personas I would always name them their "canon" name. Only when I'm playing a cRPG or similar game with real role playing and deep dialogue choices do I really care about naming them something of my own creation.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I always name my file whatever name or nickname I feel like at the time. I still refer to him as Link, though. (Same with the character in Pokemon, or whatever other game.)

I mean, that bow was so expensive. What did the game expect me to do!?
I never steal from the shop because the shop keeper kills you when you go back, which in turn increments your death counter on the file select screen. I must have a 000 Death file, so no stealing for me.

Same for the new Link's Awakening, of course.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I try to use canon names for every game. Even ones where I have to look it up on some wiki. When I can't, I follow the in-game naming conventions to make one that fits the setting.

So yeah, Link is Link.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Never rename characters when they already have one.
But silent Link pissed me off in BoTW so maybe I will change too "Just speak idiot" in the sequel

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
It's rare that I don't rename him to my own name.
Other games I will stick to the canon name, but I don't see "Link" as just "Link".

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I don't even bother. Link is always Link when I'm playing. Sometimes when siblings are playing on their own save files, we have a Linku or Linka or whatever, but that's purely just for distinguish purposes.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Link. Always Link.

Actually, I always default to the norm unless its a create-your-own in which case I have a standard I've used since I was a kid.

Alastard

Nov 6, 2018
If I play the game vanilla, as it's meant to be: no.

If I'm playing a randomizer: totally.
I usually name him something stupid that sounds funny.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I name him after myself like you're supposed to. There was a period of time in my teens when I named him Link, cuz canon I guess. But that was just a childish phase.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I always rename him to Links
cause back when I first played Link's Awakening I accidentally added an s and couldn't figure out how to go back and started the game as Links.
It lives on now in every legend.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never. Even when I play other games where you get to name the MC I use Link. Link's the greatest hero of all time, not only has he saved Hyrule many times, he's also fulfilled the phophey of the Chosen Undead, brought home the Lords of Cinder, conquered all regions of Mira, saved The Arc from the Chimeras...