Oct 25, 2017
Post-Seinfeld, Jerry was middling to me. But his recent swerve into supporting genocide and complaining about "woke crap" killing comedy or something puts him squarely in basura territory. Bye bitch. Larry wins

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I saw him in Vegas about 10 years ago now maybe. Jim Gaffigan opened for him, and was funnier

I also saw him about 10 years ago with Gaffigan. The show was fine but the main thing I remember is him "opening the floor" to questions at the end and he was a miserable asshole to every single person who dared ask something. Ended the show on a sour note, "never meet your heroes" kind of situation.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Jerry Seinfeld also make substantially more money from tours and "private" events?

(Obviously they both earn residuals from Seinfeld.)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Seinfeld is more recognisable though. I don't know, I think they both did extremely well in different ways.

Larry also had some stinker movies as well :p

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's an extremely weird narrative on this forum lately that Jerry is a talentless hack who had nothing to do with the success or quality of Seinfeld and that it's all due to Larry. They co-created that show and co-wrote many episodes together. Jerry is also the lead of that show, and while he's the weakest actor in the cast (though my burning hot take has always been that his performance is actually *underrated*) he is the central performance that all the actors bounce off of. The revisionist stuff is obviously due to Israel but like, that has fuck all to do with the sitcom itself.

Curb's first 5-7 seasons are fantastic and still kill but imo they're not on the same level of timeless/iconic comedy as Seinfeld (tbf almost nothing is) and I think Curb started running out of gas beginning in S8 anyway. Seinfeld started declining in its eighth season too and people attribute that to Larry leaving, but I think sitcoms just naturally start feeling long in the tooth when they run for that long. If you really want to play the "Seinfeld sucked without Larry" game you also have to reckon with the series finale being the show's most despised episode and that was entirely done by Larry though I always liked it and thought the hate was way overblown

He also didn't just fade away after the show ended. He literally could have done or made anything, but he basically went back to his day job: standup comedy. After Seinfeld, he scrapped all of his material and started fresh again and worked out his material through standup gigs. For a guy that literally never has to work a day in his life, I've always been impressed that he continues to do what he's passionate about.
Yeah the idea that his career collapsed without Larry misunderstands that Jerry just pivoted back to only doing standup post-Seinfeld. It's not like he tried to stay a TV star the way the rest of the cast tried (and only JLD succeeded at it). Though I disagree he junked his entire set and started over…I saw him a few years ago and he repeated a joke that I heard him make on one of the standup segments in Seinfeld lol

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
There's an extremely weird narrative on this forum lately that Jerry is a talentless hack who had nothing to do with the success or quality of Seinfeld and that it's all due to Larry. They co-created that show and co-wrote many episodes together. Jerry is also the lead of that show, and while he's the weakest actor in the cast (though my burning hot take has always been that his performance is actually *underrated*) he is the central performance that all the actors bounce off of. The revisionist stuff is obviously due to Israel but like, that has fuck all to do with the sitcom itself.

It's this impulse, different situation of course, but people don't want problematic people to be talented. I get it, but that's not how people work.

View: https://youtu.be/8JeV8oB0jmM?si=k9PDSACc4xIMiK13

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
R.0ab53c21ad8d8a137afaabe449c4c357
Well not entirely true

images

EDIT: fuck lol
Your argument is invalid

david-primary-e53afb8f46b1fa607ad521c58f943e42.png

I love that the response is a literal swarm of Larry Davids.

season-5

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
It's this impulse, different situation of course, but people don't want problematic people to be talented. I get it, but that's not how people work.

View: https://youtu.be/8JeV8oB0jmM?si=k9PDSACc4xIMiK13

It's something I really do honestly hate. Why should someone being a shitty person be tied to the quality of their work anyways? Would it be okay for them to be shitty if their work WAS good? It should be totally irrelevant, some people I almost think just get a thrill out of shitting on things more than they genuinely care.

Also feels like 'actually their work was shitty all along and I am enlightened for hating it before they were revealed to be a shitty person' is another facet of this that comes up a lot that I dislike equally.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I guess it depends on your definition of success. I think David had a better quality of work overall but Seinfeld was objectively more monetarily successful and I would say more recognizable to the common person.

Yeah, I think so as well.

To be honest, I'd take that as a win if I were Larry David.

He's definitely done well for himself financially (don't know his net worth, but i suspect he's not living paycheck to paycheck...), and he's not quite as recognizable as Jerry? While I'm sure there a plenty of Curb fans that may recognize him and want to chat, or take selfies, or get an autograph, but I imagine compared to Jerry, he's relatively "anonymous." That would, personally, be my preferred choice. Being financially independent/well off, and no one knows my face so I'm not hounded everywhere I go? Fucking win! lol

Random aside, but partially related:

This actually reminds me of back when I was in my early 20's, I worked at a Bookstore, and one day my coworker was like, "Dude, dude!" And I'm like, "What, man?" and he's like, turn around, it's Matt Groening!" So I turned and looked, and was like, "Uh, where?" And it's not because I don't know what Matt Groening looks like, because I did at the time, I just couldn't tell which one was him, because he was going up the escalator and was at profile. He was actually a fairly common regular in our store, but he wasn't getting pestered or hounded for autographs by people. Guy created one of the most successful and iconic animated series of all time, yet he can go about his day without having mobs of people swarming him all the time.

It's something I really do honestly hate. Why should someone being a shitty person be tied to the quality of their work anyways? Would it be okay for them to be shitty if their work WAS good? It should be totally irrelevant, some people I almost think just get a thrill out of shitting on things more than they genuinely care.

Also feels like 'actually their work was shitty all along and I am enlightened for hating it before they were revealed to be a shitty person' is another facet of this that comes up a lot that I dislike equally.

I agree with everything you said, although the bolded, I can sort of understand just a teensy bit, but I'm probably biased because I've been on the receiving end of that. Lol. I can't tell you how many times I got into disagreements with friends/coworkers because I didn't think Elon Musk was awesome, or because I couldn't stand Bill Maher. Literal years of that shit, and I never said anything more than, "I don't really like them. My 'asshole radar' goes off with these dudes," so it has felt a little bit vindicating to see the turnaround public perception wise of those two over the past few years. (insert Captain Hold vindication gif here)

Last edited:

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I agree with everything you said, although the bolded, I can sort of understand just a teensy bit, but I'm probably biased because I've been on the receiving end of that. Lol. I can't tell you how many times I got into disagreements with friends/coworkers because I didn't think Elon Musk was awesome, or because I couldn't stand Bill Maher. Literal years of that shit, and I never said anymore more than, "I don't really like them. My 'assole radar' goes off with these dudes," so it has felt a little bit vindicating seeing to see the turnaround public perception wise of those two over the past few years. (insert Captain Hold vindication gif here)
Naw I get you there, I think Elon Musk worship especially was on another whole level and was problematic from the get-go. I'm mostly referring to people who act that way to vindicate petty dislike of random shows and media and shit more than weird cult of personality worship of a megarich dude that was always sort of '???'

But then again I'M biased too because I was also anti-Musk when he was still near universally internet-beloved lol.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Larry was a failed comic who helped create and write Seinfeld, starring Jerry Seinfeld. It was a mega hit, still beloved today.

He then did Curb, which I think surpassed Seinfeld, the show.

Jerry had the Bee Movie, Comedians In Cars pod, and still does standup. I haven't seen his standup post Seinfeld show so can't comment there.

But in terms of laughs, I've laughed harder from Larry David, including his interviews, than Jerry.

Larry also gave us better memes.

Did Larry win?

Who had the happier, more fulfilling life?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Naw I get you there, I think Elon Musk worship especially was on another whole level and was problematic from the get-go. I'm mostly referring to people who act that way to vindicate petty dislike of random shows and media and shit more than weird cult of personality worship of a megarich dude that was always sort of '???'

But then again I'M biased too because I was also anti-Musk when he was still near universally internet-beloved lol.

Oh yeah, i definitely agree with that and am with you there!

And also; fist bump to disliking Musk from jump XD XD

That dude always triggered my Spider Sense, even though I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was about him. Now I know lol

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Curb's first 5-7 seasons are fantastic and still kill but imo they're not on the same level of timeless/iconic comedy as Seinfeld (tbf almost nothing is) and I think Curb started running out of gas beginning in S8 anyway. Seinfeld started declining in its eighth season too and people attribute that to Larry leaving, but I think sitcoms just naturally start feeling long in the tooth when they run for that long. If you really want to play the "Seinfeld sucked without Larry" game you also have to reckon with the series finale being the show's most despised episode and that was entirely done by Larry though I always liked it and thought the hate was way overblown

Yeah the idea that his career collapsed without Larry misunderstands that Jerry just pivoted back to only doing standup post-Seinfeld. It's not like he tried to stay a TV star the way the rest of the cast tried (and only JLD succeeded at it). Though I disagree he junked his entire set and started over…I saw him a few years ago and he repeated a joke that I heard him make on one of the standup segments in Seinfeld lol

Yeah I agree with that. I watched a lot of behind the scene Seinfeld stuff (as I am sure many people have) and Jerry was involved in every step of that show. It's as much his as Larry David's. Also Larry is great, but what he wanted to do for the show (which eventually became Curb to some degree) wouldn't have worked back then, Jerry really helped taking his ideas and applying them in a more broad audience friendly manner.

Also Jerry wasn't a great actor, but I think in some ways it kind of worked, it made him feel like he wasn't acting at all and this was his life, kind of like a proto Curb. He also had great chemistry with everyone. It felt weirdly natural.