• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmm, interesting, never heard of it. My company is deep into WebEx and Skype for Business though, so not surprising.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Zoom has been pretty big in the tech world for a while now and it's by far the best client I've used

Fact that some companies still are using webex and Skype is very sad.

OP
OP
domstah

domstah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're using WebEx and Skype for Business, you're pretty out of date.

It's Slack/Teams/Zoom these days. I mean Skype for Business is dead as of next year.

Skype for Business – Death Exaggerated, but on Life Support

Despite Microsoft's plan to pull the plug on Skype, many enterprises and consumers are still using it.

Not to sound like a defensive asshole, but we use those too (at least locally), and I know Skype is going being sunset for Teams.

My question was really about how ubiquitous Zoom is given that usually takes corporations eons to adopt new technologies (It took over two years to get a corporate Slack up and running), but Zoom appeared almost overnight.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
My college went full Zoom and I doubt they're an outlier. I imagine they're gonna be the company for 2020.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Last week was literally the first time I ever heard of it after I kept hearing about how other people were doing video calls with it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I used Zoom once to make some sort of webinar. Functionally, it worked alright, but I didn't especially care for the UI and all the features. I found it pretty stressful to use live.

I just wish Discord had some kind of business theme you could use to look more professional. Setting up a server is so easy and hassle-free. Works well enough most of the time too, and doesn't require you to install anything on your computer or to even create an account. It's so much better than many paid solutions. Certainly way better than Skype. And ad-free too. I'm sure it wouldn't be reasonable for big corporations with high security needs and stuff, but for most small businesses it's ace.

Just use Slack. Discord is basically a Slack rip off that's focused on consumers.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Zoom for about 2 1/2 years but I do feel it's become way more popular in the last year or so. It's really taking off because of the virus. My new company has it pretty thoroughly integrated into the regular workflow.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Had a virtual meeting today and when I signed I noticed it said video was being recorded. WTF is with that.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Well dang.

Someone had put in a ticket to use it this week and I had no idea what it was since we have been using Webex and Skype for Business, and only recently started using Teams.

I found out recently that Webex can do the same thing regarding if you have the Webex app up during recent training.

Oh shit! Thanks for the heads up. Had no idea.

sonder

Banned
Mar 18, 2020
Timely thread. All of our clients use zoom these days. We still have GoToMeeting which costs a fortune comparatively. My boss asked me to compare zoom, webex, and bluejeans. Never even heard of bluejeans before this past month.

Oct 27, 2017
My company has been using them since last year, after moving from Go to Meeting. It's...fine, does the job, and they're local too (I tried to get a job there :( )

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
zoom grew because

google hangouts sucks
slack videoconferencing is a complete coin toss
skype is an explosive dumpster fire
webex isn't worth it for small orgs

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Zooms biggest advantage imo is how stable the video quality is in large rooms, no other tool comes close. Don't know what kind of magic sauce they're using but it's legit.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who had literally never heard of it prior to the coronavirus? Lol. Used it with some friends the other night and thought it was great, though.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Up until last year my company was using gotomeeting for meetings and skype for team chats, and then one day everyone switched to zoom, it was installed on every pc, and every conference room had a zoom room tablet. It is a lot easier to use so I don't mind but it was really sudden.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been using it for nearly a year, mostly because it easily integrates with Calendly and Google Calendar for super simple scheduling on my website.
If you're in a company with older tech I can understand why you've never heard of it.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I live under a rock, and the company I work for aren't the best at adopting new software in a timely, but ever since January, the meeting software Zoom is everywhere.

We were using WebEx and Skype for Business, now we exclusively use Zoom. I've been interviewing at several places, and it seems everyone is using Zoom.

Not complaining about the software, seems solid enough - but how has it taken over videoconferencing so quickly? Who makes it?

Its been around for a while. Its fantastic. My company just dropped it to go with a unified product and we all miss it so much.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a one man internal IT shop for a small company (about 100 US employees) and recently rolled out Teams as our teleconference solution mostly due to the fact it's $0 with our Office 365 subscriptions. Is there any major benefit to Zoom over this? Teams teleconferencing has been rock solid compared to the dumpster fire that was Skype for Business, but when it comes to end users sometimes the less resistance the better.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah my last job we dropped WebEx for zoom a couple of years ago. For a bunch of idiots in retail it works way better to set up easy conference calls.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yeah my last job we dropped WebEx for zoom a couple of years ago. For a bunch of idiots in retail it works way better to set up easy conference calls.
Is it really? I find webex has been really good and easy when they gave users personal rooms. One address for all meetings.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yeah working in the tech industry definitely helps. My company has been using Zoom for well over a year (and we were trialing it a while before that too). General consensus is Webex is the older/outdated one of the two. Almost all video meetings I have with other tech companies are on Zoom or Hangouts (a couple have used Blue Jeans, but it's ehhh)

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm personally looking into Teams for my small MSP group than rely on privacy invading Zoom.

Fuck that

Oct 30, 2017
We've been using it for about a year at my place. Works really well, integrates well with our systems - slack, gsuite etc - and tbh I've found the video quality loads better than Skype, and given we use slack no point in teams.

It works particularity well for multi site calls, and works well with our Logitech meeting room kit. I like it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Zoom is amazing for a CIO or CTO. It's a no brainer, they've made enterprise video conferencing and room management extremely easy as compared to solutions from the past.My company has been using them for years and years and I've enjoyed the ease of use of their software far more than WebEx, GoToMeeting, BlueJeans, and Google Meetings, all of which I've also used.

For example, when I was at the office, to start a meeting I would just walk into a conference room and hit start on the iPad. Everything is connected, it knows my meeting is scheduled in that room, I don't have to enter in any conference code or dial into a phone line. Might seem insignificant, but the alternative of dialing in and that entire process might take you time using another tool to look up your meeting, find the code, enter it in, dial in perhaps, etc. Those minutes saved really add up, and reduce the amount of mental strain one has when moving from meeting to meeting in a busy day.

They are also a client of mine, and I've been to their HQ a few times. The people there are very intelligent and their product is rock solid. I find it amusing that whenever an established enterprise B2B business comes into the limelight in a situation like this, every armchair privacy/security analyst comes out the woodwork to raise 'red flags' in Twitter takes.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
We've been using gotomeeting for work. I'm also taking a part time course and it uses Zoom, first time I've used it. The privacy stuff is concerning.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah op. I knew of it but since c19 everyone I'd talking about it. Idk. We use google hangouts and is fine not sure why people use zoom

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
They undercut everyone and responded to actual feature requests. One wish for me is a non-VMR model so I can do p2p without consuming a room.