Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me and my girlfriend are in our 20's we're doing 'fine' financially. But neither of us is currently on a career path. I recently left my job and she has something that is just a place holder that is easily left behind.

We've been in Utah forever. And we both agree that the amount of freedom we have right now to do whatever we want is something that might not happen again. We were excited by the possibilities. We toyed with Colorado for a bit, and then Idaho to be closer to her family. But both have kind of fallen through.

Now we have a lease that expires in 6 weeks. And really no leads. I'm open to literally anything. And while she expresses similar feelings she is also a much more hesitant person than me. And I know she wouldn't want anything too 'radical'.

As we tick closer just staying in Utah is starting to sound more appealing and logical. But it's also lazy and lame. We are only renting so it's hardly even a commitment other than the hassle of moving. And it's not a move for life. Just trying out something new.

But when everywhere is an option it might as well be nowhere. So help me out.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i dont know either, im trying to go east but everywhere is expensive

kinda wanted dc area or between there and nyc

i might move to richmond virginia because its close enough and much cheaper

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It really comes down to what you can afford, what fields you're trying to get work in, what activities you like doing, and your tolerance for various weather.

Do you want to stay in the USA?

OP
OP
Tophat Jones

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really comes down to what you can afford, what fields you're trying to get work in, what activities you like doing, and your tolerance for various weather.

Do you want to stay in the USA?
Salt Lake City, Boise, and Fort Collins are what we've looked at. And I would consider those within our price range but expensive. Would love cheaper rent, but not a dealbreaker. The type of work I'm looking for (stable job that pays the bills) can be found just about anywhere. Don't need to stay in the U.S. but will. So we can keep the search there.
What are your hobbies? Anything you can't live without?
Nothing that wouldn't be available everywhere.

Weather isn't much of a factor unless it was somewhere really extreme

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's incredibly expensive to move right now, especially to a major metropolitan area. I am moving ten minutes away from my current house on Monday and it is costing me a fortune. Make sure you've considered all the costs involved. Keep a close eye on rent and purchase prices, they often go up quite fast.

Oct 25, 2017
Era's no. 1 Jazz fan leaving the state? For shame!

I just moved to Denver recently, wasn't that crazy expensive unless you're thinking of buying. Colorado is dope as hell, lots of hikes if you're into that

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely consider Colorado. Not really a big change for you, climate wise, but definitely a more exciting place to live right now.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
South Florida is both relatively affordable (Broward County at least) and also very left leaning. Moved here from my home state of Maryland 15 years ago and have no plans of leaving.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing that wouldn't be available everywhere.

Weather isn't much of a factor unless it was somewhere really extreme

If thats the case go live somewhere cheapish. Like for me, I would want access to skiing and good outdoor recreation. WA is amazing for that. Utah would be too of course.

But if you don't care if you live near the beach, mountains, city etc might as well just move to a small-mid size city.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Washington, Seattle area. I'm gonna retire there for sure, love that area.
Not if you like cheap housing. I'm actually leaving that area because of my wife's health (she gets really cold whenever the clouds come out due to really bad blood circulation), but when we were looking for comps when deciding on how to price our house, the market values were insane.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
South Florida is both relatively affordable (Broward County at least) and also very left leaning. Moved here from my home state of Maryland 15 years ago and have no plans of leaving.

Same. Moved to Broward 20 years ago from NYC and will never leave. There are things I absolutely hate but on balance living here has been pretty easy. I did work in NYC in my 20s and I'm glad I did it, so a few years in a major city isn't the worst thing. I got some fantastic experience in NYC that made me really marketable once I left.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Come to Boston, we have...sports I guess?

If I had to move in the CONUS:

Burlington, VT/Portland, ME: Lots of good amenities despite being smaller towns. Bigger cities within 2 hours (Montreal and Boston respectively)
Philadelphia, PA: Most affordable east coast city, also close to NYC
Pacific Northwest: Loved my trips out to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver.

Only spent a few days in the Denver area, I am partial to more walkable/dense transit cities but I can see the appeal there for sure. Lots of awesome shit if you're into the outdoors

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Come to Chicago. Big city that is cheap to live in (relative to most metros). Eat amazing food. Ride a train.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Alaska is wide open freedom. They always need teachers and medical staff.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from Los Angeles who just recently visited Boise, I was pretty damn impressed with that city. The housing market seems insane though because I have no idea what jobs are there that allow for that kind of mortgages.

But for areas that are pretty damn awesome and relatively cheap:
  1. Kansas City, MO
  2. Greensboro, NC
  3. Minneapolis, MN

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
As someone from Los Angeles who just recently visited Boise, I was pretty damn impressed with that city. The housing market seems insane though because I have no idea what jobs are there that allow for that kind of mortgages.

But for areas that are pretty damn awesome and relatively cheap:
  1. Kansas City, MO
  2. Greensboro, NC
  3. Minneapolis, MN
There's a lot of great areas, but I live in Minneapolis and I really like it. Some people can't stand the cold, but it's not that bad and the spring, summer, fall is awesome.