lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Took my PS3 out of storage, and it dawned on me that I never got a second PS3 controller. And when I tried to play the battery would barely hold a charge. After much looking online, all I came across were fakes, or cheap 3rd party ones. Is there a good 3rd party one that has a good reputation?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
99% of the PS3 controllers people sell, even on facebook and that, are knockoffs.

I've been looking for a PS3 controller that isnt gummed up for years.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
99% of the PS3 controllers people sell, even on facebook and that, are knockoffs.

I've been looking for a PS3 controller that isnt gummed up for years.
This. I don't have a working Dualshock 3 anymore which renders my PS3 useless as I hate using controllers without rumble or full compatibility. Looking at you, DS4.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
a Magic-NS adapter can work fine. i used one for a bit when testing several controllers with the PS3 since i have the same worry as OP (i only have one controller and, while it works fine still, i don't want to be caught with my pants down when the thing dies out of nowhere)
you can use either the PS4 or Switch versions since both work with PS3.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're in the US check chains that low key sell video games. I've seen a few new in box DS3s at Kohl's stores. They're usually full price though.

edit: If you're in the Denver area I can tell you where you could probably find one right Now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I can't remember the website I used but I ordered a used one from Japan in excellent condition and a new one, it was expensive AF but after buying multiple knockoffs I was done. The used one was like 45 if I remember right and new $95. If I find the website I'll edit this. It was like sun something Japan. Both were real, if I had to go back I'd only have bought the 1 new one and a ps4 to ps3 adapter like the one recommended above.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I can replace the battery. It's all the other components that worry me. Like sticks and buttons that are janky.
It's a little fiddly, but it's not super difficult to clean or replace those things on a DS3. The hardest part would probably be finding replacements in the first place.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Sold by Sony

or pick your fake poison, in the comments section.

"Sony has decreased in quality in recent models. I bought a new Dualshock 3 and the plastic feels light and cheap. There are many versions of the Dualshock 3. Here are mine and my experiences with them:
-Original controller that came with the ps3 fat (Model no. Unknown): Solid and reliable
-Model no. CECHZC2U: Solid and reliable
-Model no. CECHZC2UA2: This is the version you will get if you order right now. It is cheap and analog sticks feel completely wrong. Aim is immediately impacted. Very tough to aim on FPS games. I noticed immediately and had to lower my sensitivity. Also, buttons feel very stiff and protrude to the point of discomfort. Buttons are issues I can overlook and this is a small gripe. The sensitivity is the main issue.

I also want to note that I ordered directly from Amazon LLC. I went to Gamestop and compared it to an A2 model controller there. Sony is just getting cheap and this is not a fake.

Other models that I have not used:
-CECHZC2UA1
-CECHZC2UB1

My recommendation is to go to Gamestop and purchase a used controller! Really, it is that bad now. If the used controller has broken or worn down thumbsticks, they are really easy to replace.

A side note: the Dualshock 4 works with the ps3. It is the most comfortable controller I have ever felt. The problem is that the PS button, rumble, and motion don't work. Also, R2 and L2 buttons give a binary (on/off) input so you cannot feather the gas on driving games. Obviously, none of the new features on it (speaker/touchpad) work with the ps3 either. Finally, it is only compatible with certain games. It is the ultimate controller, but I had to return mine because I needed the PS button and motion. I couldn't get over those."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Install a custom firmware or HEN if you have a super slim and use the Xpad plugin. You can use DS4, 360, Xone pads and more with PS3, all buttons working, rumble and wireless.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Install a custom firmware or HEN if you have a super slim and use the Xpad plugin. You can use DS4, 360, Xone pads and more with PS3, all buttons working, rumble and wireless.
Gonna look into this. Just found a PS3 fat on the side of the road with an actual sixaxis. Needs a New left analog with soldering.

Hacked the console, cleaned it, repasted it, and keep it under 55c.

Sixaxis works amazingly. Two controllers I got from Amazon ain't bad either but sixaxis is not as sensitive as the original aka works for Flow and flower extremely well, but not for beerpong. Also, no pressure sensitive buttons at all. How important is all this for most PS3 games? This is my first PlayStation.

Brand is oubang, btw