• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which games (with release dates) will break the 9/10 barrier on metacritic/opencritic?

• Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Votes: 158 9.1%
  • Total War: Warhammer III

Votes: 132 7.6%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 819 47.1%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 1,417 81.5%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 400 23.0%
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Votes: 77 4.4%
  • Starfield

Votes: 612 35.2%

• Total voters

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Alright Era, time to make some predictions. Here's seven of the biggest games with set release dates this year, which ones do you think will cross that 9/10 barrier on Metacritic and/or Opencritic and why?

Pokémon Legends: Arceus

A little late for this one as it releases this week, but TBH the possibility is a little out of left field. Upon reveal (and really since then) Pokémon Legends: Arceus was mocked for it's poor technical performance and visuals. It's still not outstanding in those categories, but later footage has shown improvement. This would have never been seriously considered as a contender for a 9/10 score, but the game has leaked onto the web and people have been playing. It is getting absolutely glowing praise and it sounds like despite all the mockery it's a massive leap in the direction many people wanted Pokémon to go. The game has also been well recieved in media previews and it sounds like it may be one of the best Pokemon games yet. Currently the highest scoring Pokemon game is Pokémon Y at 88/100. If Legends can cross that it will put it right into 9/10 territory.

Personally I think it will get surprisingly high praise but may be held back from a 9/10 due to the technical performance.

Total War: Warhammer III

Creative Assembly has broken the 9/10 barrier three times, with the original Rome Total War in 2004, Empire: Total War in 2009, and finally Total War: Shogun 2 in 2011. Since then they've had their hits and misses, but they've generally been knocking it out of the part with their last few big entries: 85/100 for Total War: Three kingdoms, 86/100 for Total War: Warhammer, and 87/100 for Total War Warhammer 2. Will Total War: Warhammer 3 continue on the upwards trend of the Warhammer entries and give us the first 9/10 Total War game in a decade?

Personally I think it's tough to say. If it launches will no technical hurdles I think it will sit around the 9/10 mark and it'll be a coin toss whether it lands at, above or below.

Horizon Forbidden West

The original Horizon released 5 years ago to glowing reviews. It currently sits at a 89/100 on Metacritic. I think most people would consider this a safe bet for a 9/10.

There's only a few roadblocks I see to Horizon scoring a 9/10. I could see it get knocked for iterating without innovating enough, or lacking the freshness that the first one had with being the first game with the winning combo of robots and dinosaurs. Personally I don't think those roadblocks will be significant enough to hurt the score so I think it'll land in the low 90's range.

Elden Ring

Elden Ring is another one I think most people would consider a safe bet for a 9/10. From Software's Souls-like games generally score around an average of a 9/10 and Elden Ring looks to be as good as any of them. Of course the question remains whether or not the gameplay loop/formula will hold up as well when applied to an open world formula.

Personally I think Elden Ring will land above a 9/10.

Gran Turismo 7

Gran Turismo hasn't scored above a 9/10 since Gran Turismo 3 in 2001. The latest entry, Gran Turismo Sport, scored just a 75/100, however the main complaint was a lack of content which got better with updates. If the latest entry launches with a breadth of content could it manage to reach the heights of old?

Personally I think racing games have a tough time building a gameplay loop that's desirable enough to a wide audience to manage a 9/10 score. If they nail everything right with the game I can see it scoring around a 9/10, otherwise it'll land at 85-89 IMO barring any major setbacks.

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

I don't think most people consider Lego games to be 9/10 territory, but they have managed a number of entries in the 80-85 range. What makes Skywalker Saga stand out is the breadth of content and the extra development time that was put into it. Previous cookie cutter Lego games were being churned out with multiple games per year. In comparison Skywalker Saga appears to have much more effort behind it.

Personally I think it will land in the upper 80's but won't break the 9/10 barrier.

Note: There have been reports of issues at Traveller's Tales so think twice before supporting their products.

Starfield

Starfield is the last big dated game that we have for the year. Bethesda Game Studios has a reputation for their sprawling RPGs, but also a reputation for technical issues with their projects. They've broken the 9/10 barrier twice before, with Skyrim and Fallout 3. Their last big project was Fallout 4, which managed a 84, 87, or 88/100 depending on what platform you're looking at. Five to ten years ago most people would have considered Starfield a lock for one of the biggest games of the generation, but the reputation for poor technical performance has really hurt the studio and expectations are lower. This will be the first Bethesda Games Studio project under Microsoft.

Personally I think Starfield can do it. We still haven't seen much but we do know BGS reputation for RPGs is some of the best in the industry. If it can launch without BGS's signature technical issues then a 9/10 should be easily within reach. In general, Microsoft has been pretty good about delaying games until they're technically ready lately, so I have some optimism that it will launch in a reasonable state.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I assume you mean on metacritic or something? because most of those will get plenty of 9s

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Out of the ones you have listed, GT7, Elden Ring, Forbidden West and Warhammer 3.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It will likely be Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, and Starfield.

The rest stand no chance.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think we're going to see an average review score go past 9/10 this year.

Plenty of individual scores will be 9 or 10, but the average/collective? Nah.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Pokémon for sure ain't doing it but besides that I think most games on this list have potential to do it but could also just be stuck at the 88 or 89 mark.

I think Horizon and Starfield are the main ones.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly should have a none of the above option

I picked elden ring and horizon but I could see where none do

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Elden Ring will stand alone.

HFW has a chance but my gut says it stabilizes around 88-89 like the first game did.

Starfield could also break the barrier but it's just as likely to hit low 80s as it is to hit low 90s given how little we know about it

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Horizon, Elden Ring and Starfield. I have faith in Tunic too, as far as a non-AAA game goes. I effing loved that demo.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think ER and HFW are the two with a legit shot I think. Starfield maybe, too. TWW3 will continue to suffer from the state of the strategy review market, which is…bad.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly have no clue because these are all games I haven't kept up much with, and ultimately I think MC scores are irrelevant, but for the sake of playing I'll bet none of them do.

I think there's also a lot of hype for Dying Light 2, you may wanna consider adding that.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that Total Warhammer has so few. votes.

I think ER and HFW are the two with a legit shot I think. Starfield maybe, too. TWW3 will continue to suffer from the state of the strategy review market, which is…bad.

could it be bad enough that only people interested will bother to review it, this pushing the average rating up?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think we're going to see an average review score go past 9/10 this year.

Plenty of individual scores will be 9 or 10, but the average/collective? Nah.

That's bold when we have a new mainline 3D Legend of Zelda game and new God of War coming. Those entire series have been critical smashes, it's more a question of if they're 95+ than 90+

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's bold when we have a new mainline 3D Legend of Zelda game and new God of War coming. Those entire series have been critical smashes, it's more a question of if they're 95+ than 90+

They're not dated and don't apply to the requirements of this thread, but I do agree with you. I even agree with you that BotW2 is 2022.

OP
OP
Le Dude

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Honestly should have a none of the above option

I picked elden ring and horizon but I could see where none do
Yeah should have put none as an option. I could see it happening. I think people are too confident in Horizon and Elden Ring although I do think they will more than likely break the barrier.

EDIT: To clarify I could see none of the dated games listed in this thread getting a 9/10+. If BOTW2 or God of War land this year they're absolutely scoring above 9/10.
Horizon, Elden Ring and Starfield. I have faith in Tunic too, as far as a non-AAA game goes. I effing loved that demo.
I've been waiting for Tunic ever since it was first shown back in 2017. Really hope it sticks the landing.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think they all have the potential to be, its going to be a great year for games

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Total Warhammer 3 is probably literally going to be the best game of all time

once immortal empires launches

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Feel Elden Ring is a shoe in
horizon doesn't have to fear usgamer anymore and will sneak in a low 90s (personally think it's 84.7 myself)
Space Elder Scrolls is a big toss up for me
The test idk. Maybe warhammer?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
all of them, though i dunno anything about the pokemon game or how well Lego games review, so i can't speak to that

i could see Starfield having a troubled launch that knocks it below 9

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe Starfied is out when I can play it. Of those, I think only ER and Horizon have a great chance at it. TW is a blind spot for me though.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West arguably have a 50/50 shot. I can see them both landing between 87-92.

Starfield would be my next pick.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Difficult to say on Starfield because we've seen practically nothing about it. I think it all depends on if it has the Bethesda jank or not. If it's a super polished, clean game I think it'll do phnominally well. I just don't feel like people are that tolerable these days for launch bugs/janky-ness their RPGs tend to have initially to give it 9/10 or 10/10 treatment.

We'll see though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring quite possibly, then Starfield is my guess. Pokemon... eh I have a feeling that'll just miss out. The rest have no chance.

Jul 1, 2020
I can't judge the quality of a game without playing it for myself. Giving into hype and judging the quality of a game before it's out is a losing proposition.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Can't see Starfield breaking it if it releases this year. I'm sure the game will eventually be good, and I know everyone is super confident it will release in 2022 after what Todd Howard said (playable start to finish)... but we've still seen zero gameplay.

It's stark contrast to the constant Deathloop gameplay we saw over and over well before release, including a gameplay reveal more than a year in advance. Basically, I think folks may be right that it releases, but it just feels like it will be too broken to beat 9/10 on review scores if it release in Nov.

Elden Ring I think is a lock.

OP
OP
Le Dude

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
TBF Crusader Kings 3 recently scored over a 9/10. I do think strategy games that are PC only generally stand a bit better chance because they tend to attract a smaller set of reviewers. In contrast, for instance, I think GT7 will struggle to cross the 9/10 barrier because racing is in a bit of a rut like the PC strategy market but GT7 is a tentpole release on a popular console so it will attract a wider review group.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Elden Ring, HFW, Starfield probably.

Not too sure about GT7 but I believe in Polyphony. Think they've absorbed a lot of feedback over the years and they'll bring their A game.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go with 3 safe picks and 1 wild card.

Safe picks: HFW, Starfield, Elden Ring

Wild card: GT7

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
TBF Crusader Kings 3 recently scored over a 9/10. I do think strategy games that are PC only generally stand a bit better chance because they tend to attract a smaller set of reviewers. In contrast, for instance, I think GT7 will struggle to cross the 9/10 barrier because racing is in a bit of a rut like the PC strategy market but GT7 is a tentpole release on a popular console so it will attract a wider review group.

I think the issue is that you end up getting the same 10ish people who review every PC strategy game and then 30-40 people who don't necessarily play a lot of strategy, so games that are half strategy/half something more (some genre more widely played) do well. Like CK.

Meanwhile TWW will be scored an 8/10 by a bunch of people who played for 20 hours, think that it's a well made game with lots of cool production but not understand many of the systems. I just think the games and playerbase are at odds with the reality of the day 1 games criticism industry.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon and Elden Ring.

Bethesda should have a lot to prove with Starfield. Fallout 4 was pretty archaic.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Elden Ring and Horizon clear standouts.
Gran Turismo kinda up in the air, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Starfield I dunno I don't really have faith in from Bethesdas last few games. I have a feeling it's gonna be closer to Cyberpunk reception but then again I think it's probably a contendor for recieving higher scores than it's due just because of the hype around the studio. So speculating on the quality of the game might not nessecarily exclude it from those those sweet 9/10s.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I think Horizon and Elden Ring will pass the 90 mark. I will say 93 and 91 respectively (although I can see it the other way around). As for the rest, I don't think so.

Edit: I lost hope on BGS after Fallout 4 was such a borefest, and I have a feeling that Starfield will be in 84-86 mark. Prove me wrong, BGS.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Elden Ring, Horizon and Pokémon (I believe this one will surprise many). I would have voted for Starfield but we still haven't seen anything meaningful from them. Regarding GT7 I don't think it has a chance, mainstream reviewers today gravitate way more to arcade style racers imo.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Elden Ring looks like a sure thing. My other vote would go to Starfield. I trust Bethesda to create something special.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i guess there's a chance that forbidden west and starfield are quantum leaps over their studios' previous works (zero dawn and fallout 4) but if those games are more of incremental improvements, i expect them both to score below their predecessors, which already scored below 90. games reviewers have become more critical these days, which is a development i'm happy to see

i actually think more niche games like the pokemon game and the total war game have a better shot at breaking 90 than AAA open world games like hfw and starfield in today's review landscape (but didn't vote for either of those either)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know enough about Starfield to possibly make any prediction, all we could do is look at the studio's previous work, which is pretty uninformative. Pokemon will probably be around 87-89. Horizon and Elden Ring have a good chance to hit it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring has the best chance I think, From Software has a crazy good track record.

If by some miracle BOTW2 releases this year that's a shoe-in for 90+ too.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Few 2022 titles I'm anticipating that I think have a legit shot at breaking the 9.0 ceiling.

Weird West
Homeworld 3 - Deserts of Kharak was a stunner
Harold Halibut - but it will hinge on how good the story beats are
Distant Worlds 2 - indie-production values may hold it back though