SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
MARK SPOILERS... ESPECIALLY FOR XI!!!
NO ONE WORD ANSWERS!
FOLLOW THE LIST!

Sure, the hero is usually silent. They don't have much of a personality, if at all. But they do all have a unique set of skills, fit into their world and lore, interact with other characters in several ways, and have a vibe and feel to them that's all their own. Let's take a look at them all.

I ask you...

Which has the best visual design?

Which one has the most interesting story?

Which one has the best set of skills?

Which one do you think is most unique?

Which one is your number one favorite, and why?

Here's a visual list of each hero, in case you needed it.

DQ1 Hero

350px-DQHeroArt.png

DQ2 Hero

300px-DQIIHero.png

DQ3 Hero

410px-DQIII_Hero_Class.png

DQ4 Hero

latest

DQ5 Hero

latest

DQ6 Hero

dq6-hero.jpg

DQVII Hero

latest

DQVIII Hero

fa0491d8f09f97aaf6bd511d67020ad6.jpg

DQ IX Hero is customizable... but here's the poster boy version

latest

Same for X, obviously. Guy in red seems to be used most often.

DRAGON-QUEST-X-600x305.jpg

And finally, XI.

latest

Will come back with my answer later.

Edit: Here it is.

I have to list my top three here.

3. Eight
2. Eleven
1. Four - Male

One thing I tend to love about most DQ protagonists is their adherence to a central color scheme. These three pull that off in spades. What I love about Eight and Eleven is their relative simplicity. They look like an ordinary traveler might look, yet still manage to stand out. The overcoats are nice and flowy without being showy like a cape. The bandanna and long hair are visual signifiers that any commoner in these worlds could pull off, but they still manage to make that look their own. And Eight is yellow while Eleven is purple, complimented by blue and green respectively. Eight also has a pet mouse!

300px-Dq4_Hero.jpg

But Four? He looks awesome in an entirely opposite way. He looks like a hero. He has a circlet, long, flowing blue hair, a tunic held up by a gem encrusted belt, and a look on his face that says he's about to save the world. I like his female counterpart's hair and face, but her clothes leave a LOT to be desired. Four-M looks like the Zenithian hero that he is. Also, he rocks the blue like nobody's business.

Dragon.Quest.V.full.868806.jpg

As of right now, I have to choose the "generic" answer and say Five. His generational story, his marriage and his status as a guide to the hero rather than the actual hero himself, all stand out compared not only to other protagonists in his own series, but to RPGs in general. He felt like a distinct and important person despite never saying a word.

latest

Eight can go Super Saiyan, cast lightning and use swords, boomerangs AND spears, with special animations for each of those. I have to choose him.

300px-DQIIHero.png

Visually, Two. His goggle-hat is awesome and he wears SOLID BLUE without it looking weird or uncool. Props.

latest

Story-wise, probably Nine. S/he's a literal angel instead of a human being.

dqxi_opening.jpg

Eleven. His design, ability to use greatswords, and greater role in his own story elevate him to the top for me.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Loto/Erdick from DQ3 is probably still the one closest to my heart, and it helps that their legacy most of the series. I do enjoy their skill set quite a bit.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DQ4 and 7 are my fav

DQ4

DQ5

huhhhhh i don't know

DQ7

DQ4 heros looks really cool

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about 5. He's got a really cool and unique design, feels a lot more personally involved than normal, and most of his skills are more on the defensive side, which is neat. Also, he isn't even the real hero, but he gets the job done anyway.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
DQVII mostly because he looks like Link.

Alsol DQ6 hero straight up looks like Goku with blue hair, lol.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Only played IV, VII, and a bit of VIII a long time ago.

But based on OP, VIII have the best design followed by IV. Really not a fan of VII design, looks like generic villager NPC...

III, V, and XI also looks good.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
DQ4 heroine is and will always be my favorite. She looks awesome. I think she's one of Toriyama's best designs. Plus she was a female lead character all the way back in 1990; something that wasn't really done very often outside of Phantasy Star.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Probably the make DQ4 hero as i don't really like the crazy colour combo's... His colours seems to all fit really well together.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
V has the strongest story, but there's just something about the VIII hero that I love. He has a surprising amount of personality, and his design is rad.

If we allow spin-offs, then Terry from the original Monsters + remake is great (and it's really cool to see a side-character from a main game (VI) in a spin-off like this):

latest

Oh, while I'm cheating and using a side-game, I may as well go all the way and say Torneko from IV, who stars in Mystery Dungeon 1-3:

350px-Torneko_Taloon.png

Dude is sooooo jolly!

Last edited:

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I go for the Princess of Moonbrooke or Psaro the Manslayer after he joins you for Chapter 6

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
latest

She (even he) are such one-of-a-kind designs. Rarely do anime girls go full curls and I love it

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Why is literally nobody following my template ;_; I want to hear your superlatives too!

Also, DQ IV Female is my least favorite by far, but only because she has really dumb underwear pants. The rest of her design is really cool for a girl, especially the hair. But those pants, man. Ugghgjdshkgdjfg

V. Dat purple boi is the best
There's two purple bois now

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i like how after DQ6 they kind of have their own aesthetic and don't look straight out of dragon ball. (despite the XI guy's obvs Trunks likeness)

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
DQV, without any doubt. Only hero in the series who broke my heart consistently on a regular basis.

(But if we're speaking just visually, DQIV Hero looks pretty badass.)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
DQV hero is my fave, he has seen some stuff. Also looks interesting, you'd think he was a full blooded spellcaster.

Like I remember what skills they all had lol. VIII spear path was pretty cool.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which has the best visual design? The overall design for me is DQ8

Which one has the most interesting story? DQ5 Hero without any doubt

Which one has the best set of skills? DQ11 Hero

Which one do you think is most unique? DQ2 Hero

Which one is your number one favorite, and why? Probably between 11, 8, 5 and 1. I can't decide. haha

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really like the design of VI's protagonist but I'd have to go with VIII's.

V's easily. Following him from childhood to adulthood is great.

Um, I don't really know lol. I'm not far in XI but the mark on his hand seems to have a lot of power in it so I guess him.

Probably VII's and only because he looks like a simple child and not a heroic teenager like the others do (I assume he's a child as I've not played VII).

Ooh this one is tough. I can't pick one so I'm saying V and VIII in no particular order.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely DQ4 the Heroine. The Hero is good too though. That said I dislike the hero designs for most DQ games. The only other hero designs I like is DQ 3.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's a tie between V and VIII. They both have great stories behind them. I have XI but haven't started it yet. Planning on playing this weekend, so I don't know where he will fit in yet, lol.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I haven't actually played through any of them yet I can only really comment on visual design

I really like DQ1's old school knight armor and helmet. Colour combination's real nice too.
DQ5 is close behind it.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DQ9. I like the fact that the armor changes the look of your character and you can customize the way he looks. DQ11 is a downgrade in that regard.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
5 easily. Following his life from childhood to getting married and having children of his own, and the tragedies along the way, make me feel way more attached to him than any of the others.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
V's my favourite but that's probably due to attachment to the game, though I always thought the turban and staff made him stand out in a sea of JRPG sword-wielders.

IV's Heroine design would be second. Can't believe we haven't had a female protagonist since (outside of the customisable characters in IX)

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
DQ7: He looks unique, both in this franchise and in general. This is odd, since he at the same time looks really grounded and understated. He could easily be an NPC that could blend in the background. The hat just helps give him a strong silhouette.

DQ5: DQ protags usually don't have a ton going on, but that's not something you can say about this guy.

None of them stand out enough here for me.

DQ5: It's mostly the journey that sells him. There's not many games where you can get married and have kids in games, and the ones that do go there often make this just a silly, inconsequential system that has the story does not take into account. Not here though.

Tsarevna Alena of Zamoksva... but I guess if I have to stick to the list, I guess the DQ5 dude will have to do. Pretty much summarised by the previous answers. You pretty much go through his life, and he looks like if Goku was a shepherd.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dragon quest builders ones cuz they look like Link.
7b4c496c37bdaa3810395c8040ef8e60.jpg

(only played 8, 9, 11 and builders so yeah sorry)

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean technically speaking without the Hero of III there is no Hero of I or II, so doesn't that kind of make them the best?

I do like the Zenithian hero designs of IV but I tend to think that a lot of the spin off game heroes are more fleshed out and the other party members in the main games have more character. I mean some of the chapters in IV have more story than the final chaoter does.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Torneko, a really brave soul in his incursions in creepy dungeons plagued by monsters, in the 'Mystery Dungeon' spinoffs made by Chunsoft.

2364676-snes_tornekonodaibouken_jp.jpg