• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Fallout game has your favorite writing?

• Fallout 1

Votes: 52 7.2%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 112 15.5%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 48 6.7%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 465 64.5%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 27 3.7%
  • Fallout 76

Votes: 17 2.4%

• Total voters

zon

Oct 28, 2017
F1 > F2 > NV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> F3 > F4

Over time I've come to appreciate F1's story over F2. It's more focused and not as busy breaking the fourth wall every hour.

I havent played 76 so can't comment on it

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have not played the first two games in a while. I think it should be between F2 and New Vegas. I picked NV now because it's more recent and I remember more.

Fallout 4 deserves the last place.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
this is a mad take to me, the writing in Fallout 1 and New Vegas is fantastic in my opinion. The lore itself and the way the world is imagined is so unique and intersting, so just taking that alone elevates it for me.
If you are fine with exposition as writing, that's fine. But its all just "Tell me more about the Geth" style writing.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The 19 people voting Fallout 3 have must have only ever played Fallout 3 lmao

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Bethesda writing is so mediocre that Fallout 3 being my first WRPG (after being a fan of JRPGs) made me think WRPG were a genre i would never like becuase of it.
Its so fucking boring and so devoid of interesting characters and good quest design. I even gave them a second chance with Skyrim and had to download a mod called interesting NPCs to make me keep playing (and a like 20 mods to fix the shitty bugfest, their games are with a few more to fix the bland graphics)

THANK GOD I actually tried Mass Effect by luck and discovered how fucking good could wrpgs be.

And of course, the answer is New Vegas. Such a great game.
That and the amazon show tells me is not the fault of the setting (which a quite like the retro 50's future and music) but the bland writing bethesda has. I never tried 1 and 2, but im sure they are better that the absolute trite bethesda writes and passes for quest design.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
going to say something incredibly controversial here: a lot of nv's dialogue was far too quippy for me, personally. it felt like a lot of npcs were fighting to be the most cleverly sarcastic person you've ever talked to.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
New Vegas, then 1, then quite a bit of a drop to 2. the rest = lol

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
For context, I completed 1-3-4 and started New Vegas.

Haven't played enough of NV to count it here.

Out of those I played, 1 had my favorite writing by a large margin.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
The 19 people voting Fallout 3 have must have only ever played Fallout 3 lmao
Hey, they might've played 4 as well.

...though I don't remember if 4 had something quite as stupid as your rad-immune companion saying that it's your destiny to go die in the radiation filled room.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
New Vegas from the modern ones, but my favorite is Fallout 2, wich is not the "top choice" in the pool because it's not that popular among the new generation of fans (i guess)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I loved New Vegas as a boy, and now I love New Vegas as a woman.

It's laughably superior to 3 and 4 and 76. It's not even a contest.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's New Vegas, and I've played Fallout 1 and 2.

They're not really far behind, though. Perhaps New Vegas is just more fresh in my memory.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Also the memes are superior.

y459470q63wc1.jpeg

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
The first Fallout. It's like the first Terminator movie. Tight, focused.

I love the writing in 2, but I feel like it's a little indulgent. NV is great, too, but I just love the condensed novella that is F1.

3 and 4 both have bad writing, but the throughline of 4 is shockingly bad. Even with 3 being what it is I was completely unprepared for the story in 4.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Fallout New Vegas is 90% the same game as Fallout 3, and the 10% that's different isn't "that" much better. I also think that "the writing and quests are SOO GOOD OMG!(TM)" that people crow about is also probably a 90/10 split as well. Most of it is bog standard Bethesda-style quests and dialogue and the 10% that's "better" isn't nearly enough to elevate it to the extent people do. It's fine. It's good. I'd even say I love it. I just don't understand the whole "New Vegas is the only one worth playing" smug attitude when they're mostly the same game except one is blue/gray and the other one is yellow/brown.

Anyway, I'd say my answer to the thread might just be Fallout 76. It has an incredibly rich world full of distinct stories pretty much everywhere, though you kinda have to dig to really get the most out of it. The details about the original Responders and Scorched plague and the miner revolt and various research projects all over and tons of other stuff are freaking great, man.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I'm surprised so many people seem to like the writing in 2 because it's just not that great? FNV's writing is above average
Fallout 2 has a really cool atmosphere though, and you can tell they tried to recapture that in New Vegas but only does an ok job at that
Fallout 4 is probably the closest match as far as art and atmosphere goes, although the urban areas don't have as much of that art deco look to them

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
I voted for 2, but it's really close between 1 and 2. 1 is tighter and more focused, but in the end 2 is more enjoyable overall because there's so much more of it. NV is closely behind those two, and the rest don't even deserve a mention.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 3 and later titles, so I can't judge the first two. But out of the Bethesda era ones, New Vegas wins. The main story, characters, factions, it's pretty great all around. With the exception of Lonesome Road which is a nosedive in writing and design quality.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
New Vegas by a mile. I don't dislike the writing in any of the others, but nothing compares to New Vegas in that department.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
I'm about 75% through Fallout 3 and I'm really looking forward to New Vegas as I've seen it mentioned here and elsewhere that most people consider it the very best in the series.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Of the one's I've played (Technically I've played FO1 a little and Tactics. Finished 3 and New Vegas. Played a decent chunk of 4 and not touched 2 or 76), it'd be New Vegas and it's not even close.

I can't speak really on FO1 or 2, and I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda's writing for 76 given how 3 and 4 are.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
New Vegas is clearly the best, but after that I'd go FO1. FO2 is at times too much for my taste with the references. There's a big drop until the Bethesda games though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1, 2, and NV all excel at different things in different ways that I don't really care to try and pick which ones better. They're all just excellently written games for what they're trying to do. They all featured very well executed overall narratives as well as larger world building that feeds and builds off each other resulting in a rich and interesting setting. They all do an exceptional job of presenting this exaggerated depiction of America and what a post nuclear setting there would look like and how it could actually develop and attempt to recover in the aftermath.

3, 4, and 76 are just not good on a basic level. They're all pretty terrible for what they're trying to do, especially so at developing the setting and building on what came before them and the premises and ideas that were explored in prior games and making that world feel consistent and believable. That said they're not devoid of good writing, there are plenty of individual quests, characters, and bits of lore that are quite good. But from a larger narrative/story telling perspective they're just kind of messy and half baked at the best of times.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
New Vegas for sure.

Not only is the main scenario excellent, but each of its four major DLCs work brilliantly: both on their own, when played consecutively as a four-part saga, and as a perfect compliment to the main narrative.

That is insanely difficult to pull off. But they managed it — and on a notoriously tight production schedule at that.

MrCuddles

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 2 is still the one I like best in terms of writing, world building, quests etc.

New Vegas is clearly the best of the nu-Fallout games. By best I also mean the only one worth touching.
Yeah I think this is it.

The franchise took a massive nosedive under Bethesda. Decent open worlds stripped of everything that made me a fan of Fallout. Such a shame.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
2 was my gut instinct without replaying or digging into specific quests I'll going to stick with that as my choice.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I'm playing new vegas for the first time, and I've only ever played fallout 4. Granted I've beaten fallout 4 a multitude of times.

I'm struggling to get into the gameplay (the exploring is decent though).

I would've dropped it already, if the story and world building weren't so interesting.

If a New Vegas remake came out with the gameplay of Fallout 4 it would be the best fallout game ever.

Oct 25, 2017
2 for me.

I like NV but not for the story. I don't even understand how people play the open world/3d Fallouts for the story, I don't like any of the modern fallout stories. I liked snippets of NV's main quest line but I also hated sections of it. The ending is great, however.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing new vegas for the first time, and I've only ever played fallout 4. Granted I've beaten fallout 4 a multitude of times.

I'm struggling to get into the gameplay (the exploring is decent though).

I would've dropped it already, if the story and world building weren't so interesting.

If a New Vegas remake came out with the gameplay of Fallout 4 it would be the best fallout game ever.
There's been a Fallout New Vegas fan remake in the FO4 engine in the work for years. They've already released a lot of weapons/enemy mods for FO4.

Bizkit Krueger