• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Fallout game has your favorite writing?

• Fallout 1

Votes: 52 7.2%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 112 15.5%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 48 6.7%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 465 64.5%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 27 3.7%
  • Fallout 76

Votes: 17 2.4%

• Total voters

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
Love NV, like 1, can take or leave the rest.

Honestly I probably do prefer the writing in the Bethesda entries over 2 though. Just can't stand the tone and pop culture references, felt like a Working Designs localized game.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I would say New Vegas, though it's odd as while I think the dialog is very good, it's not as strong as I expect from Obsidian. Certainly not at the level of MOTB.

In fact I'd say Pillars of Eternity 2 is stronger.

Fallout 76 is the best written Bethesda developed title. Not as strong as NV, but surprisingly good considering Bethesda's past.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Not that this isn't good writing, but yeah, this is exactly why I loved each release after Fallout 1 a bit less.

maxresdefault.jpg

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 2 > New Vegas > 1 >>> 3 >>> 4. I will say it has been quite a while since i've played them though, so my feelings might change a lot on a replay (well, probably not about 3 and 4, I think they have fairly weak writing compared to the rest).

Have not played 76.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I only played the originals a bit, so can't really include them myself. I'll go with NV, with gusto.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Fallout New Vegas is 90% the same game as Fallout 3, and the 10% that's different isn't "that" much better. I also think that "the writing and quests are SOO GOOD OMG!(TM)" that people crow about is also probably a 90/10 split as well. Most of it is bog standard Bethesda-style quests and dialogue and the 10% that's "better" isn't nearly enough to elevate it to the extent people do. It's fine. It's good. I'd even say I love it. I just don't understand the whole "New Vegas is the only one worth playing" smug attitude when they're mostly the same game except one is blue/gray and the other one is yellow/brown.
There are considerable differences between the two games (in both directions, if that makes sense), but they're less obvious depending on your approach to the games and your eye for what they're doing distinct from one another.

This video is, IMO, far and away the most interesting and thoughtful Fallout retrospective on the internet right now:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FLCg4KdyE

Mind you, it's 9 and a half fuckin hours, not exactly casual listening unless you've got a day to burn. That being said, it is timestamped, so you could just jump straight to the sections you'd prefer to hear.

Anyway, Noah (who enjoyed every mainline Fallout game to varying degrees for their own strengths and despite their weaknesses) is absolutely incredible at highlighting the differences between each game and the rest of the franchise. Each game enables a different range of possible experiences. There's a bit of cross-over sometimes - like, you can play 3 and New Vegas identically to one another and come away feeling as though they're 90% the same - but with this video, Noah does an excellent job of highlighting what makes each game so interesting and unique relative to one another. You (and everyone else in this thread) should check it out sometime, it's a very good watch.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
quality of the plot/stories post bethesda varies wildly, but I feel the moment to moment writing felt relatively consistent among all games.

Fallout 3 i feel had the most amateurish stuff, like the part you have to tell Three Dog you had to save your dad like three or five times. Fallout 4 sort of echoed that but they were toying around with the voiced protag thing, which didn't work but I can't begrudge them trying new stuff, dunno how much i'd chalk that up to bad writing

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I know everyone will say New Vegas, but I found the writing to be pretty much on par with 3, I didn't really see anything there that blew me away. I also dropped it after like 10 hours

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
My dude, you're just taking this thread way too seriously.

True.

But I suppose the good news is that the Fallout show really is as good as I could have hoped for. And my expectations were pretty much the complete opposite based on what Bethesda has been able to do with Fallout these past few… decades.

Last edited:

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
In my opinion:

Fallout 2 is easily the best, closely followed by Fallout 1 and then New Vegas.
I think after that I'd say Fallout 3 which still had some good writing and stories in it, then Fallout 76 which had a few interesting audio logs and lore regarding some places I guess.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Voted for Fallout 2. It's by far the best iteration of the Fallout format ever. Almost perfect. I love New Vegas too, but it would be nothing without the foundation set by Fallout 2.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
2 > NV > 1

I don't consider 3, 4 or 76 to have writing which is also my approach to the borderland FPS games.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by the answers I really wish they re-made Fallout New Vegas. I tried it some time ago and it has aged terribly. I couldn't keep playing.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
Going by the answers I really wish they re-made Fallout New Vegas. I tried it some time ago and it has aged terribly. I couldn't keep playing.

this is one of my biggest issues with the "new vegas is the BEST fallout game" atittude. it sucks to play. good writing doesn't mean much if you have to struggle through hours of odd or outright hostile game design choices to see it. part of that can be chalked up to the limitations of the engine, but choosing to keep in equipment repair and plop obnoxious beef gates around the world was up to the devs. and the balancing of the dlc is atrocious, to boot.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
this is one of my biggest issues with the "new vegas is the BEST fallout game" atittude. it sucks to play. good writing doesn't mean much if you have to struggle through hours of odd or outright hostile game design choices to see it. part of that can be chalked up to the limitations of the engine, but choosing to keep in equipment repair and plop obnoxious beef gates around the world was up to the devs. and the balancing of the dlc is atrocious, to boot.

It is? Once I use the console to remove weight limits and repair everything, I find FNV far more enjoyable to play than FO4.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My answer is Fallout 2, and I assume anyone who played Fallout 2 would also pick that as their answer because it defines the series.

Fallout 4 is barely a roleplaying game; its like going on a walk through an amusement park.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Am a weapon repair enjoyer but tbh NV made it pretty trivial with the jury rigging perk, weapon repair kits etc.

Anyway, New Vegas has the best writing but Fallout 1 and 2 aren't in the conversation enough; Interplay created one of the most interesting settings in gaming. I enjoyed the show and I enjoy Bethesda's Fallout games but the whole "from the visionary mind of Todd Howard" thing in the marketing bothers me

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Where is Brotherhood of Steel or Tactics on the poll?

Joking aside it's 2 followed by NV

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
If you even know what the story is in a Bethesda style game you're playing it wrong. These games are about commiting to a character flaw and going wild.

Skyrim was a story about an Orc named Klug who wanted to steal all the silverware in the world.

Oblivion was about Marlin the alcoholic wizard who drank anything the very moment he picked it up.

Fallout is about an armed isolated cult survivors who think surface dwellers are a threat to their existence and there for must all be shot.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Vegas for words you can read, I guess, but getting to them is a trudge through a lot of dull brown, grey dated graphic and gameplay. I'd rather read a novelization or the wiki.
4 for everything else under the sun (better immersive, visual story telling and more fleshed out companions, tho there are a couple of duds).