• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
10 years ago I woulda said Moes to this. MOes was the first "Fast casual burrito" place to hit my neck of the woods, it beat Chipotle, Qdoba, etc, by about 5 years, and I was dedicated to moes. Love their burriitos, loved their salsa, really liked everything there. And then both Moe's around us just got... dirty. There's 2 and they both simultaneously got dirty. I remember going to one and going into the dining room and every table just had stacks of dirty trays of food, everywhere, just left out, no place to sit that wasn't stacked with dirty food dishes. and my whole mentality around moe's changed with that.
I really liked Moe's for take-out food, but I'd agree that the restaurants were always kinda dumpy for those eating-in. They changed the chicken seasoning recipe about 5 years ago and then closed basically all the stores near me, and I haven't had it since. Now it's just Chipotle or Salsaritas, the latter of which feels like a scam with how much food they give you.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Burger King. I used to really like it, but now they all have an air of deep existential sadness and misery. I last went in one about a year ago and it was just me and like two employees. This was at lunch time on a Saturday! I'm surprised BK is still hanging on.

namerson23

Nov 6, 2017
I ate an embarrassing amount of Chipotle when I was younger. I think I've been to one maybe 5 times in the last 2 years.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
KFC is the best example. They used to be amazing.

Not even sure how they manage to exist today with Popeyes around.

Burger King is also awful. In the 90's, they had the best fast food burger around.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Five Guys is still pretty good, quality-wise... but their prices have fucking skyrocketed and going there is just frustrating. You're paying over $20 for burger/fries/drink when you could have gotten way more and better at a local shop for less than that.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
For me it's a regional thing, and that's taco time. It's a local Oregon fast food chain, used to be like two in every town pretty much, now it still exist and I see in there map there is still a few hundred locations spread across America but 90% of there locations are closed down and you might have to drive half way across a pretty damn big state to eat at one, like I love crisp meat burritos but I'm not driving 4 hours for one lol. Other more national ones I would say is ihop and subway, ihop closed most of there restaurants and subway well they were in the top five of all fast food chains and now are barely a thing any more. For obvious reasons of course.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I still like KFC and Burger King once in a while. I think BK has fallen off some though. KFC seems the same to me. But the quality from store to store varies alot. It's my issue with Popeyes around here too. I guess this is an all fast food thing.

Chick-fil-a, McDonalds seems to be the most consistent. I have only been to 2 separate Culvers, but they have both been great, haha. There is a local chain P.Terrys that I like, all the locations are consistent.

Side note, I think the In-n-Outs in Texas are worse than the Cali ones.

In terms of market and mind share, it's probably Subway I think.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think it's Subway. They were a juggernaut turned into an afterthought.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
The right answer is Subway, but my personal answer is Pizza Hut. In the mid 00s there was an all you can eat lunch buffet for $15 that was fantastic.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
BK circa the crispy uniform fries and insane value deals was S tier.

Subway has been swallowed up by competitors that do the same thing much, much better.

KFC has been inedible for awhile due to bad service.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Their value is worse now, but Subway's quality has never been particularly good. Chipotle, likewise, is about the same quality but now I have better choices Qdoba, Panchero, AZ Taco, and an actual Mexican place that makes Mission burritos.

There's a Quizno's still open near me and I stop by every now and then, it's perfectly fine but there are also better sandwich options now, especially Jersey Mike's.

phranc

Nov 13, 2017
The Taco Bell near where I work is terrible. It's a lot worse than what I remember when I used to get it at another Taco Bell.

KFC and Burger King are basically the same as I always remember them being.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
Pizza Hut, no question.

I feel like they were the king in the 80's and 90's. They were even embedded in schools with reading programs. I must have earned a million personal pan pizzas and a basketball in elementary school.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
The Burger King near my work is still awesome.
Still has that flame-broiled smell that covers the whole block around lunchtime.
Fries are still crispy and delicious.
Double cheeseburgers taste exactly as they have for years.

I'm lucky to have one of the good ones.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Chipotle is up there but I still go all the time.

I can't figure out what it is that degraded in quality though. Taste? Like what *is* it that has made it not as great as before? Sometimes I wonder if it was always bad but the novelty of it all had me under its spell.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Chipotle. They're out of pico and veggies like half the time and now guacamole is like 3 bucks. I used to go regularly and just went for the first time in like two years.

It's still good but damn

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
my pick is panera

like, for all the talk about chipotle being expensive... panera is like 15 dollars for a sandwich, while it's about 10 dollars for chipotle here. and for what?

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
People saying Chipotle are crazy.

At least where I live, it is still on the cheaper side, and the quality is still good enough.

Subway was never good but, at least it used to be cheap, now its not cheap so, they having nothing going for them. The thing that well at truly killed ever going to subway for me, was when I went twice in a month to get a Meatball sub, and they were out both times. Never been back since.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Chipotle still tastes good, but yeah the prices kinda suck AND they almost always seem to be out of SOMETHING.

Oct 25, 2017
KFC - competition spread and destroyed them(Popeyes, Bojangles)
Subway - prices, not actually healthy, not very good.
McDonald's - was decent as kids and incredibly cheap, now it's a premium price with atrocious quality of food, staff, cleanliness
Taco Bell - priced themselves into legit taco place prices

Oct 27, 2017
Mobile orders are the scourge of humanity and have made these places and the workers employed there miserable. I blame all the lazy people paying door dash, etc. nearly twice as much as they should for the tiny, cold portions the workers there give them to spite them. The modern Internet is ruining everything.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. Still the only place I can get lunch for less than $10 in the city. Minimum $15 everywhere else.

For me the price of Chipotle is just nuts, and I can try to cut things out of it, but if I go to Chipotle to get the burrito bowl I like, chips, and a drink, it's over $20. I would do barbacoa, rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, salsas, corn, guac, bag of chips (I like eating that shit with chippies), drink, and doing that on the website near me rings up to $20.54.

I know everything is expensive, but coupled with the drop in quality, it's just too pricey for that for me.

I could save the drink and chips and bring it down to $15, and if I didn't put the guac on that'd bring it down to $12, but like... that bowl without the guac and the chips is downright sad, and I want a drink

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they're all suffering from the same thing these days (prices too high for quality/quantity). There's a local diner where you can get a burger/fries cheaper than a fast food restaurant.

Phineous_2

Oct 29, 2017
My pick is Burger King. Back in the 90s, a whopper w/cheese was my favorite burger. Now it's flavorless and sad. Fries are awful. Chicken sandwiches are awful. The Big Fish sandwich is still good, if you get a fresh one, but that's it.

The only thing KFC ever had that I liked was "Kentucky Nuggets" back in the 80s at the dawn of chicken nuggets. Easily the best nuggets I ever tasted. Other than that, Publix has always had better chicken.

Chipotle and Moe's have always confused me. Why would I pay even $8 for a burrito that is more than 50% rice? Why would people pay SO MUCH for a rice burrito with a tiny bit of meat as a flavoring? Seems like a scam to me.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
For me the price of Chipotle is just nuts, and I can try to cut things out of it, but if I go to Chipotle to get the burrito bowl I like, chips, and a drink, it's over $20. I would do barbacoa, rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, salsas, corn, guac, bag of chips (I like eating that shit with chippies), drink, and doing that on the website near me rings up to $20.54.

I know everything is expensive, but coupled with the drop in quality, it's just too pricey for that for me.

I could save the drink and chips and bring it down to $15, and if I didn't put the guac on that'd bring it down to $12, but like... that bowl without the guac and the chips is downright sad, and I want a drink
Barbacoa, guac, a drink, and chips???

OBXkpm8y7JvTf2JO5TXj8i84tM8=.gif

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Burger King has always been shit tier. Like Arbys. Falling from one step of stair is not much of a fall

I mean they used to have .99 Whoppers and that, at least to young me, was amazing.

That Five Dollar Footlong campaign absolutely did Subway in... catchy enough that it's in your head to this day, but locks in a price point that even back then for many franchisees was unsustainable, much less now. Every time they try to bring a version of it back it's vastly inferior to every single sub being 5 dollars. But they must have a ton of money if they can sponsor Korean Dramas and hire Curry and co.

Pizza Hut deserves a mention because as a kid it would have been inconceivable to me to have Dominos surpass them, it would be like BK beating McDonalds.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Burger King's flame grilled burgers back in the late 80's/90's were legit good fast food. These days Burger King is bottom tier trash. I'd be interested in knowing the ages of people who think BK "was always trash"

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
One I don't think has been mentioned: Boston Market. Their chicken was good, the carver sandwich was excellent, and their sides were top-tier. Now their food sucks and they are mostly out of business (but with a few left).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Burger King is Def worse than it used to be and I get a little sick every time I eat there.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Pizza Hut for me, used to be so good, then quality went down and Dominos stepped up their game.

Subway too, quality went lower than it already was and it got more expensive. Five dollar foot longs and the cookies were my cheap go to meal.

It's Pizza Hut for sure.

Going to a Pizza Hut restaurant where you actually sat down and were served by someone was quite the treat in the 1980's. And the pan pizzas were sooooo good. Served in a deep black pan and with a crunchy crust. Even the cheese tastes different. No other casual spot has had a bigger fall from grace when taking only food into consideration.

On the other end of the spectrum, McDonald's burgers have always tasted the same. Never were great but they haven't gotten worse.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The chicken nuggets at Burger King are somehow a tier below what you'd get from a school lunch.
It's insane.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
One I don't think has been mentioned: Boston Market. Their chicken was good, the carver sandwich was excellent, and their sides were top-tier. Now their food sucks and they are mostly out of business (but with a few left).

This and Quiznos fall into the category of "I didn't even know they were still around."

Though we still have Shakeys here and I know they closed down a bunch.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I have been eating Chipotle for over ten years now, probably closer to 15, and I think half of you are nuts. Is it more expensive? Yeah, it was like $7 for a burrito and now it's $10. Not excusing it, but there's been inflation in general. In terms of quality the only drop I have noticed is sometimes the chicken isn't as good. Maybe I just have a good Chipotle, I dunno.

Anyway, it's Subway for me. I literally cannot touch it now.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
All of these are very accurate, but I'd like to throw into the ring Denny's and Steak n Shake. I'd rather just go to an actual diner these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Quiznos is well documented as to how and why it all fell apart

KFC has to be up there, even in Canada the quality has gone down compared to all the other fried chicken places

Burger King here is still good but there aren't that many around