Which flop system are you the most fond of?

• Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 1,557 49.6%
  • Nintendo Wii U

Votes: 817 26.0%
  • PlayStation Vita

Votes: 1,123 35.8%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 58 1.8%
  • Ouya

Votes: 25 0.8%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 128 4.1%

• Total voters

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast for me. I do wonder if the Vita has a better life if it doesn't have proprietary memory. I feel like it definitely would have.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I love all of my misunderstood children

F9vCSGA.jpeg

pA0e9NV.jpeg

DiBWkWf.jpeg

I'm sad to not see a Jaguar CD :-(

I, on the other hand, have got to get a Lynx one of these days. And a proper 3DO, meaning the Panasonic FZ-1 or 10, like you have. My Goldstar one, even though it's my original one, is just lame.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It's sad that Nintendo never gave the Virtual Boy's library a shot at redemption on 3DS. Its one and only chance to live.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
People, people: the N64 and Gamecube were not flops. They were legitimate, mainstream consoles, both popular and profitable. Not being the market leader does not make something a flop.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Vita takes the first place for a centimeter vs Dreamcast, Vita has Soul Sacrifice and a lot of PS classics, which i can't play in another PS console, but i have a lot of good memories with my Dreamcast. Wii U was a POS, i played Mario 3D world and sold it.

Last edited:

uuddrlrl

Banned
May 30, 2021
I'm one of the few who enjoyed the 2nd screen gimmick of the Wii U. The other systems listed were just "regular" market failures.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast is my all-time favorite console. It didn't flop... in my heart.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Tough choice between the Dreamcast and Wii U, but the Dreamcast will always hold a special place in my heart. And all the top tier fighting games. The arcade roots of the system. It was amazing even though the Wii U technically had the better library.

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
People, people: the N64 and Gamecube were not flops. They were legitimate, mainstream consoles, both popular and profitable. Not being the market leader does not make something a flop.

Yes, but they were probably disappointments.

The NES/Famicom sold 61.91 million units, which was huge at the time. And Nintendo did not even cover all the markets, leaving many of them to Famiclones. The Super NES/Super Famicom sold 49.1 million units following fierce competition from the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive; it only became the market leader towards the end of its lifetime.

Now, the Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million units, which was far less than the two previous consoles. The GameCube sold even less, 21.74 million. They both had short lifespans, which probably meant that Nintendo was not very happy with their performance.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've voted Dreamcast, but I would have picked Gamecube
They both flopped hard outside of the US.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Dreamcast and Saturn. I have fond memories of both. I knew the Saturn wasn't too successful in the US, but many people I knew had a Dreamcast. It came as a surprise when they just pulled the plug.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I love my Vita and hate how sony killed it but I think Wii U is the one I'm the msot fond of, I always thought it looked super fun and cool and had some really good bangers, wanted to buy one but thankfully dodged a bullet there and then boom Switch came along and it was Wii U but better, I bought a Nintendo console after my last one being NES and it is Wii U the one to thank for that.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Vita was incredible. Persona 4, MGS, Everybody's Golf, Dragon's Crown, Earth Defence Force all on the go. Comfort, a beautiful screen, incredible online store etc.

God-tier handheld

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
has to be the Wii U for me, that system still has a really respectable library of games

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast was brilliant. Ahead of it's time in so many ways with a ton of great and innovative software. I probably spent more time overall with my WiiU, but Sega's last console gets my pick with little hesitation.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast was an incredible console, with great games with graphics no one had seen before. My first experience with online play in Phantasy Star Online, my first experience with "real" SNK games, I will never forget playing the pricey import copy of KoF 99 for the first time, then later Garou MotW, the Last Blade. The Street Fighter 3 games, Capcom vs SNK2 Not even mentioning the likes of Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue, Soul Calibur....
I know people talk about these games now all the time, and many have been ported to other systems since. But experiencing these games in that short timeframe of the Dreamcast's lifespan, at that time (remember, the technical standard were PS1 and N64 when it released) was a feeling I rarely have gotten since then in gaming. Dreamcast was a fire that burned out very fast, but damn did it burn brighter than anything else.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but they were probably disappointments.

The NES/Famicom sold 61.91 million units, which was huge at the time. And Nintendo did not even cover all the markets, leaving many of them to Famiclones. The Super NES/Super Famicom sold 49.1 million units following fierce competition from the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive; it only became the market leader towards the end of its lifetime.

Now, the Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million units, which was far less than the two previous consoles. The GameCube sold even less, 21.74 million. They both had short lifespans, which probably meant that Nintendo was not very happy with their performance.

Disappointing and flop are also not the same thing. And though they may have had short lifespans, overall, their successors arrived 5 years after their own launches, just like every other Nintendo system. The Wii lived no longer than they did; Nintendo is just shit at late-life support.

They both flopped hard outside of the US.

So did the Xbox, even harder, but I don't see its name being thrown around.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Love my Vita to this day with emulation.

Great little system that deserved more attention and focus from Sony instead of trying to force regular console games on it then just ignoring its existence.

Also, obligatory dat-OLED

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a screen mod on that Turboexpress?
Looks way bigger than the original screen.

Yep, that's actually a recent acquisition. It was at a local retro game store when I was dropping off a bunch of old games I didn't need for sale/trade in. I was thinking about picking one up on eBay and modding it later, but there it was, all ready to go.

I'm sad to not see a Jaguar CD :-(

I was thinking about it and then AtariAge started selling another batch of their Jaguar Game Drive, which has support for CD images. I figured that was a better use for my money for now than paying the same for an add-on with such a small library that I'm not all that interested in.

That didn't stop me from getting a NeoGeo CD though, so never say never I guess. I'd probably say the same for a Pippin or PC-FX, but I've never seen either outside of an ebay listing though.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about it and then AtariAge started selling another batch of their Jaguar Game Drive, which has support for CD images. I figured that was a better use for my money for now than paying the same for an add-on with such a small library that I'm not all that interested in.

That didn't stop me from getting a NeoGeo CD though, so never say never I guess. I'd probably say the same for a Pippin or PC-FX, but I've never seen either outside of an ebay listing though.

I just recently got a Game Drive myself, rather than pay the ridiculous prices for the few Jag games I still don't have. I haven't tried any CD games yet, because I thought that it couldn't yet save those.

You're right, though, to not be interested in the CD library. It's tiny, mostly not good, and certainly not worth the prices any more.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Wii U, but it was technically the only one I actually owned. I've played Dreamcast and Virtual Boy games either on hardware or via VR emulation...of the two, I could see myself maybe enjoying the Dreamcast.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wii U for me. Never had a Vita and the Dreamcast I only have like 5 games for, still have the Dreamcast though so I could get more games for it of course.

The Wii U brought great fun with it's second screen on certain games. The second screen thing was pretty cool in games that used it well, of course the "away from TV" the Switch obviously does it better. Sure, a lot of the games are ported, but the only ported one I bought was MK8D, everything else I use the Wii U for, so it's still used for those games. Also have great memories of stuff like Rayman Legends playing it every single day with my family getting in the top scores all the time.

Only things I don't like about the Wii U was the Gamepad screen needed a better display(480p resolution was fine, it's the display quality that sucked) and the OS was super slow. Also had a big problem with the Gamepads wireless disconnecting all the time.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd be really cool to get my hands on a wonderswan/ws color. No nostalgia for them, no idea what games are even on them really, but I just think they'd be neat to have.

As far as retro games/hardware goes, the wonderswan line isn't super expensive. Last I checked, you could grab a ws color from eBay in box/good condition for ~$75.

I wouldn't recommend getting anything but a Color (or the last model, the Crystal), unless you're a collector, or a purist about playing black & white games on a monochrome screen.

The only reason I have that original Wonderswan was because I was at Pink Gorilla, a Seattle-area game shop, and they had the Tarepanda model in box. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it from the woman I was dating if she found out it was there and I didn't get it.

As for the game library, it's Japan only so expect a lot of dealing with the language barrier, and it's a Bandai console, so expect a ton of anime tie-ins.

I really enjoy it, almost despite the library, but I love portables.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I wish I had a Dreamcast when it came out. My cousin had one, I couldn't stop Soul Calibur and Power Stone on it. Sonic blew me away too.

Same with the Saturn. Knew only one person who had one and we only played Dynamite Cop once but it was so fun. Only other time I played was very few emulated games which I enjoyed too (how amazing is Elevator Action returns?). Wish the system was more affordable and reliable, then I would buy one.