Which game had the better soundtrack?

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 176 41.1%
  • Chrono Cross

Votes: 252 58.9%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Which of these games do you feel had the better overall soundtrack?

51Kut9klZ6L.jpg

71N4MMUyBHL._SL1084_.jpg

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger and it isn't close.

B8wKWfv.png

Looks like 100% of the forum agrees.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a gun to my head and had to only pick one... I'd just get shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
While I have many, many, many, many, many hang ups on Chrono Cross especially in regards to its relation to Trigger, the music is not one of them, Cross may just be the best OST of golden age Squaresoft.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I love Triggers but Cross just hits harder.
Dream of the Shore Near Another World - Could listen to that for days

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I have more nostalgia for Trigger's OST, because I played the game itself over and over and over with my best friend when we were young. It's just ingrained in my brain as of that time.

But I like Cross' OST more.

Extra vote for Brink of Time, which was just totally my fucking jam for ages.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Trigger, easily. I never cared for Chrono Cross's soundtrack. The only songs from Chrono Cross that I did like were remixes of Trigger songs. Coming off of Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, Chrono Cross's soundtrack was a huge disappointment.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Trigger for me. Many of my favorite tracks from Cross are my faves because they use the motifs found in Trigger. Also, years of nostalgia probably makes this an easy choice for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Trigger and I honestly don't actually like Cross' OST that much (probably because of that awful regular battle theme), but my wishy washy non-committal answer is that Trigger has a larger amount of quality songs while Cross has a smaller amount of songs that are plain fantastic like Prisoners of Fate and Dragon God.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Both are fantastic, but Cross is probably Yasunori Mitsuda's magnum opus. That soundtrack is easily one of the greatest works in VGM ever composed.

At least to me

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I have more nostalgia for Trigger's OST, because I played the game itself over and over and over with my best friend when we were young. It's just ingrained in my brain as of that time.

But I like Cross' OST more.

Extra vote for Brink of Time, which was just totally my fucking jam for ages.

Hell yes. Came here to say this.

I vastly preferred Trigger. It evoked emotion harder than any game.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Love them both, but Cross has more memorable tracks for me. Dreams of the shore near another world is one of those tracks i will never ever get bored at. It also holds good childhood memories for me. It was one of those tracks that would make me and my friend stop playing at the other world map and just listen to it and dream.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger has one of my favorite OSTs of any game....

But I think Chrono Cross's is slightly better somehow.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Both of these are top tier soundtracks of all time. Not a bad problem to have, picking between these two - but it's Chrono Cross because Mitsuda was able to hone and improve on his craft and come out with something truly magnificent.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross' soundtrack is extremely impressive for the hardware it's on.

But I end up liking the style of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack more, and I find it overall to be more memorable. Plus it doesn't have Gale.

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
Trigger because atleast you dont have to hear that CC shitty awful battle theme like the 80% of the game

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I love Trigger's since it captures its sense of an epic story very well and is more memorable.

But I gotta say Cross is better for me since it has way more depth and emotional presence. Cross' soundtrack just hits harder for me.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This one is really hard because both games have legendary OSTs.

Gonna have to go with Cross but only by a hair.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Both are fantastic, but Chrono Cross is the greatest video game soundtrack ever. It's masterful. Completely sublime.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I really don't care for chrono cross. I can't even bring myself to replay it as I just really hate the battlesystem. that being said it does have one of the goat game soundtracks, so I say cross.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Both so good but Cross was on another level for it's time. I was obsessed first time I played it. Used to keep the game running on areas so I can listen to the music.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SO CLOSE, Chrono Trigger is 10/10 and Chrono Cross is 9.8/10. (Because the battle themes are more enjoyable in Trigger for sure).

CT enemy and boss songs > CC

Chrono Cross has higher highs but overall the Chrono Trigger soundtrack is perfection.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
There's not many things I'd give the edge to Cross on but the soundtrack is immaculate. The Trigger soundtrack is merely great.

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
It's SOOO hard to pick one, because they're both incredible. But I have to give it to Cross, ultimately. It benefited from the much better sound quality of the PS1, allowing for richer compositions.

Mind you, I still think Trigger is the better game in general, and I enjoyed it more than Cross. But purely from a musical standpoint, Cross wins for me.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross is a musical achievement in terms of sheer variety. Each area feels like you've stepped into an entirely unique place with a unique culture, more so than most RPGs. Mitsuda's use of real world ethnic styles payed off tremendously.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Trigger is the better game overall but Cross has the better music IMO. Cross in fact has one of the best OST in gaming.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Out of context: Chrono Cross.

With context: Chrono Trigger.

See, Chrono Cross is a much better soundtrack, but despite playing both games multiple times, I actually don't have many memories associated with Chrono Cross's soundtrack, where I can remember where basically all the music is used in Chrono Trigger, so when that soundtrack plays, I am suddenly back in Zeal, or 600AD.

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough question, Triggers Soundtrack is probably the best 16-Bit music and consistently great, Cross has some lulls but I'd say higher highs. Some tracks always get me emotional:

(though I'd say the Radical Dreamers SFC-original is on equal footing)

Regarding Mitsuda-soundtracks, overall I'd always put Xenogears a bit above bot Cross-games, but that's totally personal preference.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While I have many, many, many, many, many hang ups on Chrono Cross especially in regards to its relation to Trigger, the music is not one of them, Cross may just be the best OST of golden age Squaresoft.

Pretty much. It is in the top of best game OSTs ever made, it's incredible.

Yasunori Mitsuda is the king.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love both but I'm partial to more melodic OSTs, so Trigger wins out. Cross has some very nice ambient songs that knock me out cold if I put them on late at night.