Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Edit: Since now we are famous, I decided to find a official gif that represent our right to have opinions:
JqYTmjn.gif

This thread is about games that you didn't enjoy. They could be amazing games, but early on you felt that the game wasn't for your.
Please, dont be that person who says that anyone who desagree with you is dumb/stupid.
After all:
tumblr_inline_o6xuv2lszW1r2pb4k_500.gif

Original:
I'm talking about that desired game, a franchise that you love, and after minutes or seconds of gameplay it made you feel underwhelmed.

For my it was FF13. God, I was anxious to play a nextgen Final Fantasy, loved 8, enjoyed 9 and 10, but 13 was ...
Can't remember a moment in my life that I started to hate the cast of a game so quickly than FF13. The gameplay too. Never touched another Final Fantasy since then.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV. I'd never played a Final Fantasy game but it looked really cool so I bought it and pretty much immediately realized "Oh, this isn't for me at all".

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW, I had such high hopes going in and was crushed immediately once I realized there really was a lack of enemy variety and really just meaningful content in general (imo, cause I know someone will want it). Would rather play FFXIII any day

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
MGSV

Easily the best playing MGS game, but that means nothing when the stuff I adore about the games since the first one (namely the gripping story and characters) is ummm... barely there.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Other M. Cringy stuff started happening pretty soon after the start and it got worse and worse.

Though the music of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was pretty fast too.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 3

One of the first tutorial missions, hunt the boars (iirc) I walked a bit further and got the prompt "leaving mission area" and my heart sank.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Halo 4

Halo was once one of my favorite franchises but Halo 4 was just not the game I expected/wanted it to be. Haven't even bothered to finish the campaign.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FF13 is a great choice

Bought it at launch for a next-gen FF like you said OP, but the game fucking sucked ass with some of the worst characters in all FFs

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
TES IV: Oblivion. I played a ton of Morrowind back in the day and even though the game was hardly perfect, it was able to draw you into its world. The environments, the sounds, the incredibly detailed map that came with the game...

So naturally, I was incredibly hyped for Oblivion. But it misses everything that made Morrowind magical. People often describe the "out of the sewers" moment in that game as one of their "OMG" moments in gaming, but for me it was when I realized the game might not be able to recapture Morrowind's magic. Indeed, the more I explored, the more disappointed I became.

My first clue, of course, was the character creator. God, the characters in this game were all so ugly.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
DMC2...never been so heartbroken.
FFXV....all that marketing hype for this vapid combat and empty world?
Fallout 4....they really sucked all the charm and choice out of this franchise.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Absolutely adored the first game. Hopped into the 2nd one Day 1. I knew the game was off within seconds. I played for a few hours, but the look, the responsiveness, the focus of the first game was all missing.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Far Cry 3

One of the first tutorial missions, hunt the boars (iirc) I walked a bit further and got the prompt "leaving mission area" and my heart sank.
I liked but sometimes I got stuck in the missions zones when I was trying to get some animal
Halo 4

Halo was once one of my favorite franchises but Halo 4 was just not the game I expected/wanted it to be. Haven't even bothered to finish the campaign.
I was like: wtf, why I'm doing a qte ? Why the elites are so slower than reach ? Why the hell I have to kill these boring robots ?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
halo_2_conceptart_J6X6F.jpg

Halo 2, easily.

All this hype about Earth v Covenant, we all wanted to see Bungie's take on a futuristic Earth, of Master Chief on a journey around the globe to try and prevent catastrophe. Just look at that art above, the hype was biblical.

But no, instead we get one level on Earth, which they had the audacity to treat as two levels in the menu select but trust me, it feels like one level when you're playing through it.

And then the rest of the game is on another Halo that nobody wanted to go back to, and involved us playing a character that none of us wanted to play at the time.

Not to forget the reintroduction of The Flood, and enemy that should've never returned in the first place.

Then when it seems like the game is just getting going, it hits a brick wall and ends.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Advance 3 was one. I loved the first Advance games, especially 2, so I expected to love 3 as well. But it just never clicked with me and I'm not sure what it was. Even to this day I don't really care for it.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst was another. The original game was fantastic, and while the sequel was fine, so many changes were made to try and appeal to a modern audience that barely any of what gave the first game its charm was left.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Warlords of Draenor managed to disappoint me and quit WoW before it even launched. Does that count?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 is a big one for me.

I know I'll get shit for this-but a big one for me is Witcher 3. I heard so many great things about it-and have it a try but it just wasn't for me and that really disappointed me as I was looking forward to a long rewarding game.

MGSV

Easily the best playing MGS game, but that means nothing when the stuff I adore about the games since the first one (namely the gripping story and characters) is ummm... barely there.

Shit what am I thinking. Of course it's MGS5.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Metal Gear Solid 5, it took about 3 hours to realize that it wasn't for me. I play MGS for the story and 5 was lacking to say the least.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BotW, I had such high hopes going in and was crushed immediately once I realized there really was a lack of enemy variety and really just meaningful content in general (imo, cause I know someone will want it). Would rather play FFXIII any day
I think the same for me. Everyone was raving up the game and at the end of the day it was just something which was lacking so much.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
MGSV took a while to disappoint me because the intro and the first couple of missions are pretty good at leading you on. I don't think it was until I started to actually look into the Mother Base management garbage that it fully dawned on me that I had basically surpassed half the game's real content and was now in the hamster wheel.

Fallout 4 got out in front of the problem and made sure you knew to be disappointed right away.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
X: Rebirth, a space sim from a german developer. I had played the previous entries and loved it but X: Rebirth was just so terrible that I put it down after a few hours, after having spent close to 1000 hours on the previous two entries.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV took a while to disappoint me because the intro and the first couple of missions are pretty good at leading you on. I don't think it was until I started to actually look into the Mother Base management garbage that it fully dawned on me that I had basically surpassed half the game's real content and was now in the hamster wheel.

Fallout 4 got out in front of the problem and made sure you knew to be disappointed right away.

Honestly I would have liked Fallout 4 a lot more if the base building shit was just removed entirely.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces. Virtually no content that wasn't part of the beta. Now that the online ranks are thinning out - with only the hardcore and cheesers remaining - I've never bailed on a multiplayer game so quickly.

Apr 24, 2018
Final Fantasy XII. I can see why others like the game, but switching from turn-based style combat to MMO-esque style combat made me wary from the start. I still played until the final dungeon, though.

Also no Sakaguchi/Uematsu was deeply upsetting to me, as well.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I liked but sometimes I got stuck in the missions zones when I was trying to get some animal
Coming from the full freedom of FC 2 to 3 was too jarring for me.

Not caring for any, any of the characters also didn't help.

I actually made to the second island, but I was just going through the motions at that point and then I dropped.

Strictly talking about basic mechanics (i.e. movement and shooting) FC 3 and the sequels following it are fine, but everything else puts me off.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Gears of War Judgment. The new control scheme dissuaded me from playing any more than 5 minutes into the campaign.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Resident Evil 6. I love 4 and I thought 5 was pretty good, even if it was straying from the series' roots. But RE6 was a bridge too far. I immediately didn't like how movement was handled and when I did some WWE slam on a zombie I knew for sure that the game just wasn't for me.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
It is almost cheating since you don't even started the clock haha
I change my answer to Dragon Age: Inquisition then. None of the soul of DA:O and none of the heart of DA:E.

Edit: Just to expand on how it did it quickly. I actually ended up loving Hawke's story and companions even if the game itself was flawed. I already wasn't happy to be going back to nameless protagonist and the game just never hooked me. I didn't like the scale, story beats, or companions. It felt familiar and inferior. End of the first hour, I knew this just didn't have the charm the first two entries brought.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
FFX probably. Love for the PS1 series compared to how little I enjoyed 10 made me sad.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The Last of Us. I played around an hour and a half and was absolutely bored to tears. I realized I did not give one shit about the world or anyone in it and that was it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly I would have liked Fallout 4 a lot more if the base building shit was just removed entirely.

I think for me the biggest problem was the whole power armor and minigun versus Deathclaw sequence kind of blew their entire load--to utter disappointment--right up front. Instead of spending the entire game thinking, "Man when I get some power armor and a big ass gun I'm going to go to town on these raider creeps" you spend the entire game thinking, "man I'm never going to use this power armor or minigun because they're kind of shit, and fighting deathclaws is janky as fuck".

And it kind of does that for everything it "tutorializes": settlement building, the voiced story, the companion and dialogue systems, the leveling system... the entirety of everything is laid bare from minute one and it's all just so very underwhelming.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Sonic Heroes. SA2B was one of my favorite games for GC, and few games had me as pre-hyped as Sonic Heroes, which just kinda... Was off for reasons I don't recall 13 years later

Last edited:
OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I think for me the biggest problem was the whole power armor and minigun versus Deathclaw sequence kind of blew their entire load--to utter disappointment--right up front. Instead of spending the entire game thinking, "Man when I get some power armor and a big ass gun I'm going to go to town on these raider creeps" you spend the entire game thinking, "man I'm never going to use this power armor or minigun because they're kind of shit, and fighting deathclaws is janky as fuck".
Dude, I had to skip a large part of the map in new Vegas because I couldn't fight the deathclaws, only when I had my companions and laser weapons I was able to defeat them. It felt so good.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
uncharted 4. the track-switching from pure pulp to gravitas (starting right from the beginning, where the rousing classic theme is replaced by - somber ambience?!) left me wondering what the hell was going on. i've seen it referred to as the 'last of us -ification' of uncharted, & i agree completely. i realize many just love the change of direction, but it pretty much completely demolished the charm of the franchise for me...

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon X and Y, I was so hyped for the game as I was impressed by Game Freak effort in gen 4 and 5 and as gen 6 was an even numbered gen I was expecting new cool cross gen evolution with a story on the same scale as gen 5.

Instead X and Y had a pitiful one cross gen evolution, a poorly told unfinished story, a new gimmick that I didn't care for and the game just went downhill after the third gym.

It was heartbreaking seeing them go from an A+ effort to a C tier effort.

BotW, I had such high hopes going in and was crushed immediately once I realized there really was a lack of enemy variety and really just meaningful content in general (imo, cause I know someone will want it).

I didn't have high hope to begin with but same. The lack of dungeons really hurts it as well.

The game pretty much killed my interest in the Zelda series.

Sonic Advance 3 was one. I loved the first Advance games, especially 2, so I expected to love 3 as well. But it just never clicked with me and I'm not sure what it was. Even to this day I don't really care for it.

Sonic Advance 3 is typically considered to the be the weakest entry in the series and for me I think it's because of the partner system as it disrupt the flow of the as you're speeding along only to come to a screeching halt to use the tag team action, turning the switch on, breaking a platform or having to find a another route as you don't have the right partner with you.

Plus getting the Chaos Emerald was tedious and required a lot more work than the first two entry.

I think the same for me. Everyone was raving up the game and at the end of the day it was just something which was lacking so much.

Honestly Breath of the Wild is a proof of concept of what Zelda could be like in the "open air" style rather than a fully fleshed out game. Which is why I feel in time people are going to look back and realise;

"You know what? that game wasn't all that hot."

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, so many. Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid: Other M, Skyward Sword, Final Fantasy 13...

Honestly Breath of the Wild is a proof of concept of what Zelda could be like in the "open air" style rather than a fully fleshed out game. Which is why I feel in time people are going to look back and realise;

"You know what? that game wasn't all that hot."
The honeymoon will end, any day now.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was hyped for God of War 3 for years, only for it to be probably Kratos' worst showing in the series to date. Absolutely dreadful. Disappointment probably settled in when I got my first of three chain weapons.

Jul 20, 2018
I was hyped for God of War 3 for years, only for it to be probably Kratos' worst showing in the series to date. Absolutely dreadful. Disappointment probably settled in when I got my first of three chain weapons.

IMO they made the right move with all weapons being chain-based. The alternate weapons in the previous games were never as good.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Breath of the Wild...was concerned at the beginning, then had fun for around 6-7hours, after that reality set in and i was like:

giphy.gif

soured me on the whole Zelda franchise tbh...if this is the Zelda they will bring again, i will not be there

but seconds or minutes, no, can´t remember something that disappointed me so fast...i give most games longer to see if there is something i like