• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Gears of War is the best?

• Gears of War

Votes: 92 20.8%
  • Gears of War 2

Votes: 135 30.5%
  • Gears of War 3

Votes: 158 35.7%
  • Gears of War Judgment

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Gears of War 4

Votes: 49 11.1%

• Total voters

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Campaign: 2 > 3 = 1 > Judgment > 4
Multiplayer: 3 > UE > 4 > 2 > Judgment

Mind you I don't think 4's campaign is bad, but the first 2 acts are the weakest in the series easily

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
3 because it was an epic (hoho) conclusion to the Locust War. 4 comes a close second.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
60FPS > all, so Gears 4 for multiplayer

Gears 1 for campaign for the excitement it brought at the time

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even choose, each game has the best of each mode.

Gears 1, best campaign.
Gears 2, best horde.
Gears 3, best multiplayer.

Gears 4 is great overall, but it's not the best in any of the modes. Campaign is better and 2 and 3, but not 1. Horde is better than 3 but not 2. MP is only better than 2, weaker than the others. Haven't played Judgment.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
2 has the best multiplayer maps in the series wasted on garbage ass MP design

3 has the worst weapon balancing in the series for primaries but it was perfectly okay because everything in that game is viable, right down to the snub

4 has some weirdo hitbox design with MP but its still a very impressive MP suite. Markza being standardized as pickup play is still a good design choice. Great original maps

1 is an old head game

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 1.

Didn't care much for the second one and the story got so goofy I gave up on the series.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Gears 2, followed closely by Judgment, although I don't think that many people here will agree with the latter. For me, though, those are the pinnacles.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have a soft spot for Gears of War 1, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who says that Gears of War 2 is a better game. I'm torn.

I played maybe half of Gears of War 4, but was juggling too many games and burnout and didn't finish it. I'm regretful and need to go back. The multiplayer has gotten too difficult for me though, and I just don't play multiplayer much. People are too damned good.

All of them are good.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 3. I thought each game got better and better, ending with Gears 3 where everything was at its best. The sawed off meta in the multiplayer was a bit much, though.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Played them all, and 3 had the best multiplayer. Didn't even play the single player in most.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 1 was goofier than 2,

"Jacinto is our last remaining human settlement, let's destroy it!"

"Hey the Locust Queen looks human kinda... what the fu... THERE'S NO TIME!"

"Oh wow I finally found my wife after so long, but she looks a little out of it, better kill her because there's no way she's just suffering PTSD and can be brought back to normal, probably, maybe, I mean who knows *BLAM*"

The point where I officially checked out was at the very end when we see Anya reveal she's okay in the chopper and Marcus and her share a moment... and i'm sitting there thinking, "Wait... were they supposed to have a connection romantically or something? Because that is SO not represented well in either game."

I've seen Dom's death scene in part 3 though and it may be the stupidest sacrifice ever but i'm not getting into that.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
4 has the best MP. Toning down stopping power, nixing the sawed off, retro and hammer burst relegated to pickups, adding the overkill and embar, all while keeping the smooth movement of 3 at 60 FPS.

Campaigns are a wash. 2 is the worst though.

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not GoW expert but I enjoyed 3 more than the others. I never played any of the multiplayer so it's based solely on the single player aspect.
Also Judgement shouldn't be on the list, it was trash IMO

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of torn with this. I think that 2 was a pretty solid package after the dlc is included. I had fun with the multi, horde, and campaign.

Really like horde in 4. I suck in multi, and the campaign is mediocre. You introduce these new folks, but then spend all of this time with the old cast, with a very lackluster enemy?

Dimir Agent

Banned
Sep 8, 2018
I remember being really into 3s multiplayer. Haven't played 4 yet. I think two had the best campaign out of the OT but 1 is the most comfy to try and finish in a single session, especially during Halloween.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"Jacinto is our last remaining human settlement, let's destroy it!"

"Hey the Locust Queen looks human kinda... what's the fu... THERE'S NO TIME!"

"Oh wow I finally found my wife after so long, but she looks a little out of it, better kill her because there's no way she's just suffering PTSD and can be brought back to normal, probably, maybe, I mean who knows *BLAM*"

The point where I officially checked out was at the very end when we see Anya reveal she's okay in the chopper and Marcus and her share a moment... and i'm sitting there thinking, "Wait... were they supposed to have a connection romantically or something? Because that is SO not represented well in either game."

I've seen Dom's death scene in part 3 though and it may be the stupidest sacrifice ever but i'm not getting into that.

This is a game that opens up as the protagonist being an ex-convict being freed by a desperate government for no reason why

A game where a giant locust man that can summon natural flesh eating bats at will gets, somehow, thwarted on a train

Everyone on Sera, including the enemy, are absolute morons without a sense of hindsight.

Like i don't know why you would fault Dom for killing his wife because, two acts ago in the same name, he witnessed a man whose known amongst his superiors as indestructible get broken down to the flesh by the enemy, to the point of killing himself. And hes a soldier

What do you expect, why do you have high expectations of maturity and reasonable context in a game about football dudes in chainsaw guns

E

Stop caring so much lmfao

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Unpopular opinion, but I actually liked Judgment the most.

I would've said Gears 1, but I played the campaign recently and ended up disliking it while I still enjoyed Judgment.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop caring so much lmfao

I did, to the point where I checked out of the series completely.

The first was really good though, sure the campaign was dumb but it was more enjoyable than 2's, at the time though we were all so bedazzled by the graphics and red hot multiplayer maybe we were more willing to let the sillier story elements slide.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 3 for me, easy. I love them all (even Judgement!) and I can see an argument for all of them (except maybe Judgement lol).

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

The first was really good though, sure the campaign was dumb but it was more enjoyable than 2's, at the time though we were all so bedazzled by the graphics and red hot multiplayer maybe we were more willing to let the sillier story elements slide.

Gears' storytelling is like no different from like any other mid 00s Image/Top Cow series or even like Mortal Kombat so even when I started the series I turned my brain off

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
This is so hard!

I love Gears 1 & 2 multiplayer maps but Gears 4 has the best gameplay.

Id say Gears 1 for the campaign.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears' storytelling is like no different from like any other mid 00s Image/Top Cow series or even like Mortal Kombat so even when I started the series I turned my brain off

Considering Gears 5 seems to be going really hard on the storytelling front it feels like they want you to turn your brain on for that one.

Personally I think they missed a trick by not having the cast leave in those Ark ships I heard about from Gears 3 and set off into space and other planets.

Continuing the story on that messed up world of Sera at this point seems like jumping the shark.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Only played 2 and 3, voted 3 because I really enjoyed the boss fights. I barely remember 2.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Considering Gears 5 seems to be going really hard on the storytelling front it feels like they want you to turn your brain on for that one.

Personally I think they missed a trick by not having the cast leave in those Ark ships I heard about from Gears 3 and set off into space and other planets.

Continuing the story on that messed up world of Sera at this point seems like jumping the shark.

Then it'd be just Halo?

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Unpopular opinion, but I actually liked Judgment the most.

I would've said Gears 1, but I played the campaign recently and ended up disliking it while I still enjoyed Judgment.

I still like the first Gears campaign, UE fucked up the look and feel imo. The moment when you encounter those swarms in the city or the rainy factiry looked better in the original.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then it'd be just Halo?

But more violent and full of horror, plus the gameplay would differentiate it.

Would've been cooler for Dom to go out by having to manually detonate a bomb in the core of planet while we play as him fending of hoards of enemies like the end of Halo : Reach as well.

Point is it gives the cast and universe a clean slate for Gears 4.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a toss up for me between 2 and 3 but I really enjoyed playing 3 X enhanced recently so that put it over the top.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a big gears fan throughout the 360 generation and I think 4 is legitimately the best. They basically got everything right.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Who's we? I think you're alone in this, most people just don't care about the story in an action game as much you seem to. The 360 Gears was an 80s Saturday morning cartoon, it's Masters of the Universe or G.I. Joe. The story is not its strong point, but it still rocks. Gears 2 just had more of everything, and all of it was also better, more varied, more spectacular, more fun.

Gears 3 had plenty as well, but not all of it was better.