bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
I mainly played games on PC before ps4/xone gen and I like playing my ps4 but load times on this console make some games unplayable. For example Hitman 2016 by design has like 3 loading screens before you enter the game. On PC (even with hard drive) it's still ok. On PS4, when you factor in load times after death I just don't want to play this game.
Was it as bad in 360/ps3 generation?
Or how about og playstation and slow CD drives. Which gen (or console) was the worst in regards to load times?
I know there are fantastic outliers like ghost of tsushima but lets consider average gaming expierience

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm I would say the PS4/Xbox One gen, also because on top of loading times, 99% of the time it had to load stuff from servers as well.

But also it's recency bias, it might have been way worse a few years ago and I just don't remember lol

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
For me personally PS3/360 and PS4/X1 felt the worst. Which is why I really wanted SSDs.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Old fogies should stop the "back in my day" talk and assume this topic is from 2000 onwards.

It's probably the PS3? I don't remember the Xbox 360 being that bad though. It had twice the RAM of the PS3, I think.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
As a 36 year old, seeing people complain about load times always makes me laugh.

Yep, and the cherry on the top would of been if it crashed and you had to load up the start of the game again. Also having the ability to pause the game is a god send you didn't get back then.

*wait 5mins to load*
"TEAS READY...."
"OOOoooooh mum... i cant pause this"

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I just connected my old 360 and started up Hard Corps: Uprising, and it loads like 2 minutes before starting a level. It's quite ridiculous.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
This made me realize how fast PS1 levels took to load. Crash Bandicoot levels loaded super quickly for example. Final Fantasy loaded in seconds. Obviously if your disc was scratched then the load times slowed down.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
If you didn't play PC games back in the late 90s and early 00's you can't really known what long loading times are.

Fucking Postal 2.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I think last gen was the worst in that regard: games got bigger and more open world, which resulted in huge load times because of the weak hardware.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
If you didn't play PC games back in the late 90s and early 00's you can't really known what long loading times are.

Fucking Postal 2.

I used to read a book while playing champ manager on the PC in between loading. The old addage of "one more game" meant that you would be there till next week before you actually completed that "one more game" lol

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I also came to post my Spectrum 48k that ran on cassette tapes.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 felt like long loading times especially in games like AC Odyssey and RDR2.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Games have been taking longer and longer to load, even with internal hard drives. Makes me wish graphics were worse, really.

And no, I won't count tape games from the 80s.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
How were the load times on the Famicom Disk System?

I think the PSP and Vita might be candidates. I stopped playing Wipeout 2048 because of the looooooong loads. How much of an outlier was that PSP wrestling game that involved like 7 30 second loads to actually reach the gameplay?

As a 36 year old, seeing people complain about load times always makes me laugh.

Odd, on diskette games that usually happened after the loading finished as the program did computations on the loaded data.

If anyone's wondering about the flashing, that's a profiling technique. Each part of the program sets a different color on the screen so as the CRT draws the screen it draws more of the colors that take more time.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think we have to go back quite far for the worst load times like C64 and stuff. On the other hand last gen got pretty bad. The load time for some of these games was just shocking. I remember launching RDR2 and then I went to make myself a coffee. That isn't even the worst offender.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
PS4 Gen.
Most games needed eternity to reach main menu:

Loading Game - Publisher and Developers Logo's - Loading from servers - Loading menu - checking saved data - ........

Necromanti

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Objectively worst is one thing, but usually it's on a case-by-case basis for the ones I distinctly remember (and it also depends on where the load times happen). Metroid Prime 3 (Wii) and Gravity Rush (Vita) were obnoxious to me, to the point that I even gave up on the latter.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Whatever gen my PC was when I got Oblivion for the first time.
Literally 10 minutes, which is sometimes followed by an instant crash.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Probably PS4/XB1, but I think PS3 loading times were just as awful. Can't remember much about 360 loading times.

Nov 24, 2018
As a child with a Commodore 64 I probably spent more time loading games than actually playing them. Was amazing when I received a Master System for Christmas as a child an experienced loading from a Cartridge for the first time.

Last gen got really bad in places to the point where I put games down due to how long stuff would take for the initial load or to reload after dying. The jump from One X to Series X has been massive in this regard. Playing Prey at the moment and to load a save after dying is almost instant on the Series X.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
I always associate bad load times with the PS2 but it could have just been the games I was playing.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Loading games from disc was really slow on 360, it was so bad they allowed you to install games on the harddrive after an firmware update. Yes... installing games on a harddrive to make load times faster.

It was bad on PS2 at times too especially textures or so not loading in, in games like GTA San Andreas. If you drove too fast the road would not load in for a moment lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah the Spectrum/C64 were bad - 15 minutes and then it craps out and you have to try again? I don't miss those days!

But for consoles, I'd say the past 2 generations have been the worst - PS3/360, PS4/XBoxwhatever era. I really hate when technology takes one step forward and two steps back, and that's what it felt like to me in the 32bit generation - I got that CDs offered more space, but now we've got loading times again? Bummer. I suppose nowadays people are completely accustomed to this half-assed approach to technology.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The cassette days. I'm 41 so I can say that wasn't always the best experience when it crashed, but I uses to love the C64 loading tunes; I think Ocean did the best ones.

As for more recent times, I'd say the PS3/360 gen.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
The GTAV generations, purely because it wasn't a technical problem but just utterly terrible code. Although gen 8 also had Ghost of Tsushima... That game's load times are insanely fast.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me PS1 usually comes to mind due to the load times between rounds in KOF.

But last gen did suck, especially for the initial load etc. for open world games.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to have an Amstrad with the tape deck, that's easily the worst load time for me.

I know it's not a gen but MHW: Icebourne had some really bad load times, before they patched it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As has been noted already - Spectrum *and other computers of the time are the worst for load times. Takes several minutes to load a game/level, have to hope the load doesnt fail.
Amiga was also pretty bad for games that required lots of disk switching (fighting games) as you'd usually be asked to change disk 2-3 times between fights to load the next one.
The last few gens, while having some bad games load time wise, dont begin to touch what it was like with 80s computers.

For me PS1 usually comes to mind due to the load times between rounds in KOF.
Have you ever played Street Fighter 2 (for example) on the Amiga, or even worse, a ZX Spectrum? Not that Id recommend it - lack of buttons, hit detection, quality of ports etc. were awful but you were loading for minutes at a time, swapping disk or loading the next fight from tape... PS1 load times for fighters (especially KOF) were bad no doubt, but even the Neo Geo CD load times felt lightning fast compared to home computers of yesteryear trying to play fighting games.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever played Street Fighter 2 (for example) on the Amiga, or even worse, a ZX Spectrum? Not that Id recommend it - lack of buttons, hit detection, quality of ports etc. were awful but you were loading for minutes at a time, swapping disk or loading the next fight from tape... PS1 load times for fighters (especially KOF) were bad no doubt, but even the Neo Geo CD load times felt lightning fast compared to home computers of yesteryear trying to play fighting games.

Never had one of those.

Luckily, it seems lol.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Gen as a whole I'd vote fore ps4/xone gen but don't really know.

However for a single game nothing can top MGS4 or as I call it the see how long you can wait until you fall asleep before the game starts. Like 45 minutes and up.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Last gen seemed pretty bad at times considering it could be slow on a SSD.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Never played this super old cassete stuff, but for me the PS1 was crazy about loadings.

Lots of games has like a screen with some art and a slow af loading bar before title screen not mentioning inside the game itself. And then there was stuff like FFIX where you had the background running every single battle.

I think i didn't feel big loading times in the last gens since i was more focused on pc.