Which Gotham villain was the best version of the character?

• Penguin

Votes: 49 40.2%
  • Riddler

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Mad Hatter

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Joker

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • Poison Ivy

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Ra's al Ghul

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else (name in post)

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Which 'Gotham' villain do you feel was the best version of the character from the Batman universe?

Perhaps the role was just your favorite from the show, or you feel it did something inventive with the character, or perhaps another reason.

Who would you pick for your best version of a Batman villain from 'Gotham'?

Here are just some choices, but for the purpose of the poll just too many to pick from, so feel free to pick someone else not listed.

penguinnny.jpg

Penguin

gotham-season-3-episode-15-riddler.jpg

Riddler

ddd44fbe2dd6823c2fcbf74d98f2e64d.jpg

Mad Hatter

bsYnMMBKrPqRMrnSF8fmQb.jpg

Joker

ivy-pepper-185824.png

Poison Ivy

maxresdefault.jpg

Ra's al Ghul

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Jerome for me, even though they could never call him joker. Performance was a good mix of Hamill and Ledger.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked Penguin and thought he should have won an Emmy, but maybe not the best version of the character.

I always thought Mad Hatter was mediocre in the comics, so I'd go with Gotham's version of Mad Hatter. Crazy bugger. Honorable mention goes to Solomon Grundy.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Penguin for me. That one bit with the exploding car in the hostage exchange cemented his šŸ status for me

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
It's 100% Zsasz. It's like not even debatable. Any other answer is just factually incorrect.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
The important thing is for those who have never watched Gotham to watch Gotham. Just the right amount of crazy.

And it's Riddler.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Zsasz and Tigress for me. There are other great depictions of Penguin and Riddler IMO, but there aren't very good ones of those two. Not in comparison to Gotham.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I actually really liked the show's portrayal of Joker tbh, I thought it was a good take on the character. Also Mr. Freeze!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the Penguin who made the character a hell of a lot more compelling that he has ever been previously

Overall Gotham really has a lot of cheese but the character acting is just so damn good

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They were all amazing, but most of those in the poll have way too many other adaptations of the characters

Like Gotham's jokers are AMAZING and deserve more love, but everyone did a version so it is hard to call the best version.

Mad Hatter and the others are more easy to eb the best .... but my vote goes to Zsasz because he was so much fun there.

honorable mention to the Riddler.
I think the actor had potential, but too little actual riddle related stuff.

and op should be ashamed to put Ivy there. Ew

Voted Penguin, Riddler is #2 right after.

Gotham's version of both are inspired interpretations of the characters.

Penguin is a really clever combination a cartoonish super villain elements married to a genuinely talented mafioso. Fleshing out his parents and family actually deepened the character quite a lot. The cherry on top was making him just empathetic enough that you actually start to root for him to come out on top in Gotham's crime-ridden shithole - you could almost see how it would be better with Penguin in charge. It helped that he had a sliver of conscience and a sense of justice, as well as murderousness.

Riddler was just a fucking fascinating slow burn of a man descending into madness. For a long time it was genuinely unclear which direction he would go in: his desire to help others and compassion for other cast-off and downtrodden people made it seem as if this would be a reformed version of Nigma. It made it that much more sinister when he finally snaps and goes over the edge.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Such a great show. Batman's list of villains has always been the best in comics, so a show with a focus on bad guys while keeping it a bit campy and a lot crazy was brilliant. They did a great job with Gotham.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Gotham was so good until they started giving Bruce too much screen time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Joker....and I useually hate Joker. Dude put his whole damn foot into the role

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Definitely Penguin and Riddler. I still want a spinoff focusing on them.

Oct 27, 2017
They were all genuinely great.

But Penguin was the best.
"My friend JIM!"

The bromance, then romance then heartbreak with Riddler. It was an amazing series of performances. His friendship with Butch. His father, his mother. Everything was a sight to behold.

If you're in this thread and didn't watch Gotham, then I encourage you to give it a try.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Overall Gotham really has a lot of cheese but the character acting is just so damn good

The cheese and camp is what made it great. They tried to be more grounded and play it straight in season one and it sucked. It didn't get good until they leaned into the cheesy comicness in season two.

Qasiel

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Tally up another mark for Zsasz. Carrigan just completely made the role his own and it got to a point where I was hoping for him to turn up more.

Sƶlf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The cheese and camp is what made it great. They tried to be more grounded and play it straight in season one and it sucked. It didn't get good until they leaned into the cheesy comicness in season two.
I don't think the problem was that it was grounded. I still think season 1 had 2 problems:
- Only 1 offs, not arc longer than 1 episode (with the exception of the last few episodes which were ordered later).
- Everything was EXTREMELY on the nose and every character had to appear in pretty much every episode. No, Fish Mooney and Penguin don't have to appear every single episode, thank you.

That changed with season 2 and imo it was a much needed change.

As for the question, I can't really decide. Zsasz, Jerome, Penguin and Ra's al Ghul are definitly my top contenders (especially since Arrow had its own Ra's a bit earlier which sucked ass).

I also completely loved Ventriloquist and Pyg. Strange was also phenomenal.

My least favorite are definitly Poison Ivy and Bane.

Oct 26, 2017
It's Penguin, but Strange and Zsasz are right behind him.

Riddler is good but I feel like his voice got a bit too gravely in s3 (weird complaint I know).

Penguin saving Butch from being Grundy only to kill him in front of Tigress is one the coldest things I've seen a live action comic villain do. And that's in s4 after tons of memorable moments with him. Fucking amazing character and performance.

Oct 27, 2017
None of them, I hated all of them lmao. The way the narrative kept stretching in various, implausibly ways to keep characters alive ended up just making the whole thing a frustrating watch.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I miss this show, it was such a comfy watch.

Also I chose RIddler, he was very good.