Votes: 17 1.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 268 20.8%

• Total voters

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
The original GTA would be top for me - not only did I spend forever playing it, it introduced me to the idea of mods, which ended up directing me to a career as a software engineer that I thoroughly enjoy. It's also got the best soundtrack, with not a single radio station anything other than perfect.

Second would be GTA3, because it was a huge leap in technology and has by far the most nostalgic setting for me. Third would be GTA4, again because of the impact that the new engine had, as well as the great atmosphere and story, slippery driving, and the ability to free roam the city co-op using the multiplayer mode.

Of the rest, SA is still at least a 9/10 game as it really mastered the PS2-era GTA and added so much depth to the features, albeit some of it a bit unnecessary. GTA5 is good, but a bit of a step back from 4, redeemed by GTA Online which can basically be played as a sandbox GTA with co-op missions. GTA2, London 69 and London 61 are sort of GTA1 but weirder - 2 had some nice advances but is overshadowed by the gap to 3. VC has a great setting and stupendous soundtrack, but it's probably one of my least favourite to play with all of the drawbacks of 3 plus a worse map layout, and the property ownership mechanic that just broke up the flow of the storyline. Chinatown Wars is okay, then LCS and VCS I didn't play much as it was awkward using a PSP for complex action games, and by the time the PS2 back-ports came out they just looked outdated.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Probably San Andreas but I would never replay anything older than V since GTA always had awful checkpoint systems until then. I also never finished San Andreas, sadly. The controls in the flight missions just frustrated me endlessly. It was an absolutely amazing game up until that point though and in retrospect, I wish I had suffered through it.

So, San Andreas is my favorite with nostalgia googles on but V is definitely the best in 2021.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
GTA IV, but I am biased as I am an Eastern European living in the west, and this game was one of the few instances in the medium that there was at least an attempt to show Eastern European characters as actual three dimensional human beings, as opposed to the usual stereotypes we see in games. Obviously it's Grand Theft Auto so there is a large element of caricature here anyway but it was a reasonable effort.

Liberty City was also a joy to explore, with absolutely incredible attention to detail, with a focus on incorporating small little immersive details into gameplay so impressive, that I think it took until RDR2 to see something on this scale again.

I appreciate that the game is not for everyone, the story is a little too long, the lack of checkpoints in missions is annoying and the driving feels weird compared to the arcadey style of the others, but on a personal level, this game focuses on elements of the franchise that are important to me, so it will always be my favourite.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's between San Andreas and Vice City for me. I voted for SA though, they really went all out on that game.

GTA V is amazing, but not on that level.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
San Andreas is my favourite but as the years pass I find myself playing GTAIV more and more. Add in the DLC for it and it might overtake San Andreas for me but nostalgia is very persuasive as I remember playing that game and being dropped off in the backwoods by Tenpenny and being shocked at how far I was from Grove Street. Then onto San Fierro - just a magnificent game. That is one game that were it to be remade or remastered, more than what Rockstar themselves did to get it on mobile or whathaveyou, I would be very interested.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm busy playing IV for the first time and just reached Algonquin.

Based on what I've played so far, it's by and large the best GTA in the series for me, closely followed by San Andreas. Niko Bellic, the dark tone of the plot, the characters, Rockstar's outstanding recreation of a living and breathing New York, and what is probably the best soundtrack in the series.

Each time I boot it up I'm just constantly taken aback at how Rockstar managed to create a world with such an insane amount of detail 11 years ago. Also, no other game in the series give the main protagonist a comrade like Little Jacob. Just such a dope character to hang and be around.

Can't wait to eventually reach the DLCs

San Andreas is my favourite but as the years pass I find myself playing GTAIV more and more. Add in the DLC for it and it might overtake San Andreas for me but nostalgia is very persuasive as I remember playing that game and being dropped off in the backwoods by Tenpenny and being shocked at how far I was from Grove Street. Then onto San Fierro - just a magnificent game. That is one game that were it to be remade or remastered, more than what Rockstar themselves did to get it on mobile or whathaveyou, I would be very interested.

Yep, this is why I love San Andreas so much too. I was about 12 years old when that game came out, and leaving Los Santos for the first time only to find that there was an entire countryside and two more cities to explore blew my damn mind. The scope of the game's world and plot felt massive, and imo it still holds up really well to this day.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Really tough, but probably still Vice City because the setting is awesome. Probably GTAV second, and GTAIV third.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I know 2, 3 and 5, I think they are all abysmal but if I had to play one again, I'd choose 2, which is not in the poll.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
3 is so nostalgic for me, and the first go into 3D.

It feels almost arcade-y these days, but I love how it plays so much. VC/SA/V are all so much better, but 3 is just so good.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I love all of them but I had to go with IV as my favourite. Liberty City in IV is by far my favourite environment in the series. I still think it's a wonderful sandbox to play around in.

They're all great games in their own right though.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Vice City, but I have to mention the out-of-nowhere Phil Collins concert in Vice City Stories.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My heart says San Andreas but my head says GTAV.

GTAV really is a supremely impressive slab of game. Even now, seven years after release.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Vice City in my memories, but V just for the modernes of it i guess

If theyd ever remake Vice City or something like that id be all over it

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
It's IV.

Liberty City still puts many game worlds to shame with how insanely detailed and "alive" it feels, for something released in 2008. The story, whilst flawed and bloated, felt like a genuine attempt from Rockstar to do something fresh, something sobering. The cast is quite solid with plenty of memorable characters and performances. And the driving? Ooooooooh, I love it.

And I'll never forget how dense and varied the game's soundtrack was. Nearly every genre and music scene got represented in a big way:
2000's (MySpace-era) Indie Rock and Pop; classic Jazz, Jazz Fusion and Afrobeat; IDM and Ambient; Mainstream Hip Hop of the bling era and classic Boom Bap; obscure Disco; Contemporary R&B and Soul; EDM; Hardcore and New York City Hardcore; Dancehall, Ragga and Reggae; Reggaeton; Classic Rock; and, of course, Northern Slavic music.
The other GTA games often have that "thing" which I can't vibe with. GTA III is too rusty for me now (though the mood is on point). Vice City's world felt too cramped, but it's the one I've played the least of. San Andreas is 1/2 Carl Johnson Shippuden filler with poor missions and wild difficulty spikes, despite the rest of the game being GOAT material. V has a terrible "story" with even worse "characters" tied to a settings which deserved better.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
GTAIII
Nothing will ever beat the sense of awe i felt when i played this for the first time. Objectively it's not the best game of course but there is just so much nostalgia and great memories that i can't chose any other game. Vice City and San Andreas are great too, don't like IV and V as much as the PS2 trilogy.
This post kinda nails everything for me as well.

3 was bettered by its two PS2 sequels, but what 3 offered at the time was game changing even with all its rough edges.
An absolute "you had to be there" title for sure

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
San Andreas. The gameplay, mission design, music, story. Everything comes together really well, and the map is still one of my favourites to explore and mess around in. I just love the sense of freedom in that game.

Vice City is awesome too, for many of the same reasons, but it's pretty janky in comparison and the map doesn't hold a candle to its successor.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
GTA IV and the DLC then RDR was peak Rockstar for me.
After that probably Vice City for the story but the map was forgettable.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm playing GTA V for the first time (properly) now and it's amazing. Definitely the best in terms of the city, the controls, the missions etc.

But the story is fairly bland, and not a patch on Vice City.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That first trailer of 4. So much hype.

That trailer was amazing.
Also Niko Bellic's face in the trailer was so familiar for us in Iran and we made jokes about his similarity to that bastard Ahmadinejad! lol

2bcq_unnamed.jpg

RichieMythic

Oct 27, 2017
England, UK
I loved the aesthetic of Vice City so much, but the variety and ambition of San Andreas really blew me away so I'd have to pick that - but it's close.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
San Andreas for its three cities and IV for most details and best police system.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
Definitely IV for me, Niko's story is just too good to ignore. I appreciate people find it all a bit bleak but his struggle to be a better man, his successes and failures at it feel so human to me.

I'm replaying it on PC at the moment and it still knocks it out the park. He's a flawed person, a bad person, maybe at times evil but I can't help but hope he finds a better life.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Always the most recent one. One or another may have a preferable story, characters, setting, vibe, groundedness, goofiness, soundtrack, be more significant for its time, whatever. But ultimately what I tend to end up enjoying the most is the sandbox, technological improvements and what mods let you do.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
GTAV is a masterclass in open world design. Not only did it look like CA, it was an absolute joy to explore. GTA III gets me nostalgic though, I spent hours chugging through the game and it was glimpse of things to come. Imagine a Midtown Madness type game, where you can walk around and steal any vehicle. Plus all the little details like starting gang wars and leaving bloody footprints everywhere. As a kid it felt like a giant toy box.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
San Andreas by a mile. Which is interesting that it isn't Vice City given my tastes in music, etc but the SA world is just too captivating (more than V even) and Vice is just dwarfed in comparison.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
pjl93 How could you include Chinatown Wars and fucking Episodes from Liberty City in your poll but not Grand Theft Auto?

Of the polled options V is the best, followed by Vice City. But in reality the original Grand Theft Auto is better than any of those listed.