Votes: 194 28.9%
  • Final Fantasy VII Advent of Children

Votes: 380 56.5%
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 98 14.6%

• Total voters

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
They're all either mediocre or outright bad, but Advent Children at least has fun fanservice moments, Spirits Within and Kingsglaive are just dull.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
yrJWlMZ.jpg
Thank you.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Advent Children was great fan servicey fun. Spirits Within was dull as fuck. Kingsglaive was crap, I enjoyed the anime shorts for FF15 more. Still looks gorgeous though.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked Spirits Within actually, the story was pretty cool and tied in with the original FF themes. Advent Children just has some great fights and animations even if the story just feels like a bad fanfiction.

Never seen Kingsglaive.

Uh I mean go ahead and rewatch the spot where they're fighting in the church and she dives away from the camera for maximum upskirt. It's at about 1:53 in this video.

The camera angle is a bit weird for that scene but it doesn't seem to be presented in a pervy way at all and there is no panty shot, or anything even remotely close in the section you're claiming. She has no skirt, she's in shorts and you can't see up them at all. What are you talking about? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Uh I mean go ahead and rewatch the spot where they're fighting in the church and she dives away from the camera for maximum upskirt. It's at about 1:53 in this video.

You DO realize she's wearing pants right? There's a bit a a light reflection on the leather on the pant leg at 1:53, if that's what you thought was panties.

There is also FF: Unlimited, Episode Denzel: FFVII, and Brotherhood: FFXV.

Unlimited is an anime series, not an OVA.
Episode Denzel I just thought of as an AC bluray extra, but now I remember that Last Order was a DVD extra too.
I forgot about the FFXV ones lol. Episode Ardyn Prologue as well.
Though technically, OVAs are straight to video releases, so the FFXV ones aren't really OVAs since they "aired" on Youtube first.

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It's kingsglaive, the bar is that low.

All of the FF movies are terrible.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I watched all of them last year to see if they were any good. I'd already seen TSW and ACC prior but didn't remember them well enough.

Out of all of them, Kingsglaive is probably the most tangibly functional. But none of them are good. Advent Children is hot fiery trash and you can tell TSW was rewritten or reworked multiple times during production. Kingsglaive feels like it's missing pieces overall.

The FF anime/OVA are trash too, so it's not too surprising.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that none of them are great, but am not embarrassed to say I own two of the three.

Spirits Within is by far my favorite. It was hampered by the (fair) complaint that it had basically nothing to do with tthe Final Fantasy universe, which was disappointing, but the voice acting was strong, the CGI was unbelievable at the time (it frankly still looks pretty great) and the story was pretty moving. Not a great movie, but definitely has a spot in my heart and I still watch it now and then.

Kingsglaive was again, gorgeous, but definitely felt like it was supposed to be in-game content for FFXV. It's a shame because it's compelling content in the context of the game, but they did such a terrible job splitting the FFXV story between the game and the movie that neither made all that much sense on their own. Still, technically beautiful, well acted, and not completely unwatchable.

Advent Children on the other hand... ugh. I went in with high hopes and had them summarily dashed. The action, which is most of the movie, is so frenetic it barely makes sense. I legitimately cannot remember much about the characters or the plot, or even how it looked. I just recall a bewildering amount of fast-cut sword fights that were impossible to follow.

So... Spirits Within, hands down.

Oct 27, 2017
spirits within was the only one that was decent. Advent children was fan service gibberish that compacted all of the worst parts of the games in a "film". Didn't care enough about the brand anymore to even check out 15 or it's movie.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
You DO realize she's wearing pants right? There's a bit a a light reflection on the leather on the pant leg at 1:53, if that's what you thought was panties.

On closer review this might very well just be a pure white reflection of the leather that looks curiously like and is ... probably intended to elicit the feeling of a panty shot as it has every time I've seen it. But I will concede your point.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Advent Children shits on both combined together, why? Bad story aside, the fights, visuals and ost were unbelievable for their time and still to this day enjoyable and impressive.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is unironically Legend of the Crystals, and that is just terrifying.

AC is trash, but excelled in its complete fanwank and fight scenes. It is pretty much the embodiment of high school era AMV shit, so I appreciate it's dedication in crossing that low bar.

SW was boring as shit but is the closest to an actual movie. I'd probably still watch AC over SW because at least AC's fight scenes would keep me interested.

Kingsglaive was just booty butt cheeks with some rare good action pieces and lame everything else. The twist of the evil guy being a double agent who was literally commanding two opposing armies simultaneously was some hilariously dumb shit

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
The games own cut-scenes are better than any movie with the FF name. i honestly didn't like any one of them.

FFXIII was a letdown, but the cut-scenes were incredible.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think Spirits Within was a decent movie, Advent Children was kinda garbage as a film but worked as fan-wankery. Kingsglaive is gorgeous and adds more to the narrative of Final Fantasy XV but it is probably the worst movie of the three, on its own.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They're all varying degrees of bad.

But I at least give them credit for creating something wholly original with Spirits Within.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Advent Children has Tifa's stellar church fight scene, but Kingsglaive has this:

tumblr_pfssyq54ir1sksh9qo1_540.gif

So it's really a wash.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Advent Children, even though I think Kadaj's gang and Geostigma are really stupid.

Tifa's fight scene in the church and the remix of One Winged Angel make up for that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about Rintaro, the best Final Fantasy movie still remains to me the OVA series: Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals.
A613-1391462599.1444275494.jpg

Legend of the Crystals was unhealthily fixated on Linaly's butt in a really, really creepy manner, to the point at which I can't even watch it anymore. It didn't age well at all.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Spirits Within. It actually went somewhere. But it didn't feel like FF at the time.

AC is fanservice trash, and Kingsglaive is whatever but better than the XV game (I mean, Luna is better in the movie and Nyx was actually good).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Legend of the Crystals was unhealthily fixated on Linaly's butt in a really, really creepy manner, to the point at which I can't even watch it anymore. It didn't age well at all.

Yeah, the amount of panty shots were just insane. Like, she could be standing up normally and you'd just get a 10 second unbroken shot of her underwear showing in full view.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FFVII: Advent Children was fan service.
Spirits Within isn't a Final Fantasy movie.
Kingsglaive actually furthered FFXV's story and provided some level of backdrop history.

Kingsglaive and it's not even remotely close.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
They're all utterly terrible, so it's hard to think of which one I hated the least. Perhaps Advent Children because of the big dumb dragon ball fight at the end, it was at least as entertaining as watching toddlers smash pots and pans together, which is much more than I can say for any of the other films.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the amount of panty shots were just insane. Like, she could be standing up normally and you'd just get a 10 second unbroken shot of her underwear showing in full view.

And that's not even counting the fact that the final dungeon where the main villain lives was revealed by Linaly SHOOTING A LASER OUT OF HER BUTT into a lake.

God, it's just so creeperish.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Kingsglaive but Advent Children was pure trash.

Can I vote for Dad of Light? Even though it's a TV show and I haven't actually seen it.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Advent Children had better fighting scene, music and cinematic than kingsglaive...and i dont like how they trying westernize certain character for sake of attracting western audience with character like luna....i like kingsglaive but it feel like they trying to create cgi version of live action film

warp strike in kingslaive is cool though..made me want an assasins creed style of kinglaive rpg

i like spirit within, but it didnt feel like a final fantasy to me

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is that there is no right answer, because all three are flat-out atrocious films, IMO.
So I have to fall back to responding to the question, "which is the most complete and competent, film-like experience of the bunch?"
And as to that, I'd have to grudgingly give it to Spirits Within, despite how dreadfully boring it was.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
When my brother was in juvie back in the day, he asked to put on Sprits Within (it was over some Madea movie or something). Everyone else there got so bored, they would rather go back to their cell than continue watching.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Advent Children for sure. It's cheesy, looking back now. But it's still the most fun. Kingsglaive was too much of a mess.