• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uber SSX?

• Original SSX

Votes: 39 6.9%
  • SSX Tricky

Votes: 247 43.4%
  • SSX 3

Votes: 246 43.2%
  • SSX On Tour

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • SSX Blur

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • SSX (2012)

Votes: 21 3.7%

• Total voters

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
2012 is so freaking FUN. The game feel is just ace.

But it makes so many stupid mistakes that ruin it. It's disappointing.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Tricky by a long shot, it's one of my favourite games ever made. It just feels so good to play, very few games feel as fun as it does

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
3 absolutely. It's up there as one of my all-time favourites, and I've replayed it a number of times over the years. I'd love to bust out a copy and play it again.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
SSX3 is straight up one of the greatest games ever made. I still bust it out from time to time for a quick play session.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Tricky by far.

It's style and vibe was just far doper compared to the others for me. That aesthetic, just everything about it was amazing.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
51lb%2BUwcr3L._SY445_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
asking me to choose between tricky and 3 is difficult, but honestly i had more fun with 3
even if i think the track design of tricky is superior, the sheer fun atmosphere of 3 brought it over the top, i really felt like i was a part of an awesome snowboarding festival. for someone born and raised in texas, it was really special

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I like all of them in some form, even the weaker entries aren't that bad just not as great as the best ones.

For me personally

SSX On Tour
SSX Tricky
SSX (2012)
SSX 3
SSX
SSX Blur

Playing 3 on Xbox One X is so fantastic but it took me a while to realize the soundtrack in that game is pretty abysmal.

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
3 put me into a trance whenever I played it. Still think about how great the level design was every now and then.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SSX was the first game I bought on launch day for PS2. I bought 1 of 3 copies in town and could not have been happier with it. The game holds a special place in my heart. That said, I think SSX3 is my favorite. I loved riding from the top of the mountain all the way to the bottom.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
SSX3 — love the soundtrack and the connected mountain. At the time of its release, the full mountain run felt unique and amazing in my own scope of gaming experiences back then.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember it's been so long, but I do remember playing a ton of Tricky. Why won't they give us a remaster :(

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
SSX 3. The whole mountain concept was great, soundtrack is great, graphically impressive at the time, and feels so damn good.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's Tricky even though SSX3 is probably the actual better game. Tricky was just such an amazing followup to the first game and a game I spent so much time with that it's a bit more special to me than the others.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Being able to drop in on top of peak 3 and then freeride all the way down to the bottom of peak 1 all while listening to an awesome soundtrack and running at 60 fps easily makes SSX 3 top tier imo.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The original SSX by far. It had the most varied, imaginative, and outlandish tracks (favorites being Elysium Alps, Mercury City Meltdown, and Tokyo Megaplex), the best soundtrack, and close-up and bird's-eye views (the former was what I used the most, and the latter was fun every once in a while), which both lacked from the sequels. In that sense, I don't see how Tricky would have been an improvement. Especially when it only had a couple of tracks of its own, which didn't hold a candle to the original batch, and the recycled tracks from the original were too cluttered with all the added candy-colored rails. Not to mention, that the soundtrack was far worse.

EDIT: The 3rd entry was a huge disappointment back in the day, due to its more mundane tracks and open world structure. It was a chore to start up a race because of it.

I wonder how many of those who voted Tricky or 3 have actually played the original, considering it was exclusive to single platform?

Aside from doing all different tricks with all 8 characters, I pretty much "platinumed" the original, eventhough there were no trophies back then.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The attitude and tone of Tricky was perfect for the series. It still hasn't been matched imo. Loved the over the top and varied tracks. The music was on point. The announcer as you rode was dope. That game was just rad.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I loved 3. It may be in my top 10 games of that generation. Nothing else really comes close.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Granted, I'm biased because it's the only one I've ever played (and I still own it) but I'm going with Tricky solely based on the fact that they seemed to base the entire game on a Run DMC song.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Tricky because it has my man brodi and German speaking Marty . All the characters were awesome . Eddie, Elise, kaori, JP,... But ssx 3 is a close second one. It was just perfection.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
In order:

3 was absolutely amazing, loved every minute of it.
Tricky got me into the series to begin with and it was a blast.
2012 was a decent reboot but missed the mark in so many ways like having courses that could kill you.
SSX I didn't play until after I played Tricky so it felt weird but was still really good.
Blur was alright, except for the fact you had to air-write the greek alphabet to do an uber.
On Tour was absolute shit and should never be mentioned.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A remaster of the first 3 SSX games would be incredible, best snowboarding games ever with SSX 3 being my favourite. Loved conquering the mountain and the characters were wonderfully diverse too.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
SSX 3. Awesome track design & great soundtrack.
2012 is so freaking FUN. The game feel is just ace.

But it makes so many stupid mistakes that ruin it. It's disappointing.
Yeah. 2012 would be my favorite if it didn't have so many death pits or at the very least didn't end your run for falling. The game got the awesome Mt. Eddie DLC Pack at least.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I want to say that even though SSX 2012 didn't get much attention I really enjoyed it. I felt they really nailed going down the hill and going for those highscores was a lot of fun. I even went for all the achievements. EA has a lot of good franchises but they want to only makes games that sell 10+ million. They should really outsource these IPs they have sitting around (dead space, ssx, mirrors edge, dantes inferno)

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I never really played any of them, but when I tried SSX 3 around the time it came out I thought it was one of the best looking games I've ever seen. PLaying it felt like going on vacation.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
It's Tricky even though SSX3 is probably the actual better game. Tricky was just such an amazing followup to the first game and a game I spent so much time with that it's a bit more special to me than the others.

This is how I feel.

I think that's when EA definitely got more comfortable with EA Sports Big. The production values seemed high to 12-year old me with all the behind the scenes stuff and a fantastic (bombastic) soundtrack. My parents didn't appreciate hearing Bass Invaders through their sound system.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I love 3 but going back to it after SSX2012 it feels slow af lol. Everything about SSX2012 was awesome except for the awful, terrible, cringe inducing new mechanic of being able to die and have a game over.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

Also On Tour was great as well.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Probably sacrilege but for me it's...

1. SSX3
2. SSX (2012)
3. SSX Tricky
4. SSX
5. SSX On Tour

SSX3 is one of my favorite games of all time. Despite a lot of issues that I had with it, the reboot had a lot going for it. One of the tracks (Serenity, I think?) is probably my favorite SSX track. I'd run that track over and over again to Halcyon On & On and it was soooo zen. Definitely an underappreciated game.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Easily SSX Tricky. I always preferred the more focused structure to SSX 3's more open world approach.
To be fair, SSX 3 has a focused structure. It's not really open world as many claim. Compare it with other games like SNOW, which is actually open world, or even The Snowboard Game, which comprises a series of open maps, and there's an obvious difference. I wouldn't call SSX 3 all that non-linear either since, despite some deviations they all quickly end at choke points on one very clearly defined route down the mountain. It is, as I remember someone else on here once describing it in a previous thread, a series of conventionally designed tracks strung together: you can't break off and go wherever you want because if you try the game will quickly put you back where the developers intended you to go (at the time of its release one common complaint I saw was that the game can be a little too aggressive with its resets.)

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
On Tour. Amazing soundtrack, incredible sense of speed, crazy art style and just so so over the top.

I like all SSX games a lot, though. I haven't played Blur but they all have high enjoyment factors.

I'd say - On Tour, Tricky, 3/1, 2012