Which cover is superiror?

• John Goodman is "The Hobbit"

Votes: 126 43.4%
  • Kurt Russel and Don Knotts in "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Votes: 83 28.6%
  • Dolph Lundgren jealous of how much more luxurious Gimli's hair is in "The Two Towers"

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • Man, Jeffrey Combs really is in everything in "The Return of the King"

Votes: 36 12.4%

• Total voters

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I still love those covers (those were the ones I had)

Fave is Fellowship.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The version from the copy I read, i always thought it was boring as fuck for a cover
96NfRno.jpeg

and the cover from The Hobbit I read, i never noticed Bilbo on the cover until I got to that part of the story and I flipped back to the cover and was surprised he was there all the time!
dTXX4zA.jpeg

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, those are the editions I read as a kid. Didn't expect to get that hit of nostalgia.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I have that Hobbit book. Or at least, I had it. No fuckin' clue where it might be now. The art always weirded me out.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
The Fell Beast in old Finnish Return of the King cover truly is fearsome.

TSH4.png

The covers of Finnish omnibus editions on the other hand are pretty great.

The old one (to the left) is still my fave.

Tolkien_JRR_Tarusormustenherrasta_10p.jpg
9789510499399_frontcover_final_original.jpg

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
That's what my dad had, and the complete LOTR one in red.

Now I have them.

I have that and the LotR in red hardback as well. Got them as gifts over a decade ago and love them.

Bought this version of The Hobbit a few years ago that I read to my daughter annually.

71UZKQ3-wCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Anywho, difficult choice between Dolph fantasizing over Gimli's hair, and sleep paralysis demon Gollum.

Last edited:

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
German covers from Heinz Edelmann:

5b58dd30f2106f1e5adf11d5565b2d8a.jpg

This Japanese site has a few more vintage covers from different country's also i really like the Japanese Hobbit:

91rdzhIoQqL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I know I had the first two here growing up. Can't say that I recall the second two, but I must have had those too.

0gh92ba.jpeg

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I had that paperback Hobbit int he OP as a kid. Can't believe how horrible it is. For a series known for amazing covers and art... how did this ever come to pass? Anyway, so glad I have nicer editions now.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, memory unlocked. I read these editions but haven't seen them in decades. I appreciate the Fellowship cover for Frodo's gormless look and Gandalf presenting the ring like he's on QVC.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I really like Tove Jansson's Hobbit illustrations.

Hobitti-Tove-Jansson.jpg

As a BIG Moomins when I was a kid, this cover is… genuinely beautiful.

Is it available to buy, or is this now considered a rare-ish edition?

Forgive me for being a boring traditionalist, but:

eFRGvXj.png

That's the one I was given when I first read The Hobbit.

If you have a first edition of this particular cover, it may well be worth a pretty penny!

www.bbc.co.uk

The Hobbit: Rare first edition fetches ÂŁ31k at auction

The auctioneers say the book was found in a chest of drawers at a home in Berkshire.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
My dad had the Ace Books Totally Legit Authorized Editions

clp0296.jpg

But then my brother tore them to shreds when he was reading them.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Last edited:

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Now I'm tempted to get the Folio Society Edition:

standard_resolution.jpg
Yeah I came in to post these, have always been my favourites but I'm a sucker for a beautiful hardback copy of anything

The version from the copy I read, i always thought it was boring as fuck for a cover
96NfRno.jpeg

and the cover from The Hobbit I read, i never noticed Bilbo on the cover until I got to that part of the story and I flipped back to the cover and was surprised he was there all the time!
dTXX4zA.jpeg
Wow that's the copy I've always had and I've never ever noticed Bilbo before lol

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I have that and the LotR in red hardback as well. Got them as gifts over a decade ago and love them.

Bought this version of The Hobbit a few years ago that I read to my daughter annually.

71UZKQ3-wCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Anywho, difficult choice between Dolph fantasizing over Gimli's hair, and sleep paralysis demon Gollum.

That's a page fromThe Giving Tree.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I have the standard red paperback jumbo edition which is… fine. I like the design of the Eye. The main problem is how unwieldy it is. You could probably use the hardback as a blunt weapon.

61eFmPgbZAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked this old german ones, I have no idea what's going on on the covers but I really like the look.

IMG-20191026-133411-scaled.jpg