4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I'd say Phantom Hourglass would illicit a "huh" from me if listed as someone's favorite Zelda. It's fine for what it is, I just think every other Zelda I've played is better/more interesting.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
"if it weren't for the N64 games" is exactly my point!

twilight princess isn't the worst zelda game ever made but i do think it's an uninspired retread that's fully beholden to what comes before, which is why i can't imagine it being someone's favourite. maybe i could see it if it's the first one you ever played

I basically didn't play video games from the end of the N64 era until the Wii came out, so that's probably why I have a softer spot than most for it! I thought the dungeon design was top notch, and my opinion holds even now. It's certainly enough to put it ahead of WW and SS imo.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
I always get weird looks when I tell me (completely serious, btw) that my favorite game in the series is Zelda 2: AoL.

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, Spirit Tracks was great! The unfair maligning of this game must end! At the very least it felt like an improvement over Phantom Hourglass in all respects, so I find it weird to see PH ranked above ST.

To answer the question... Zelda 2 is such a a weird departure mechanically, so maybe that? Honestly it says something about the series' quality that I can see any game being someone's favorite.

Apr 20, 2022
Zelda 2. It completely goes against everything that was set up in Zelda 1 and obviously the rest of the series that follows. I played it as an adult but enemies were fucking tough, the game was unforgiving sending you back to the starting area of you died and many "puzzles" have no hints at all. I used a guide because I was stuck so often and it's supposed be more linear, I recall a part where to progress you have moved past a fake wall but there was no clue that was even a thing up to that point.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda II. I can easily believe there's been a more modern appreciation for it now, but I just haven't seen it. I grew up in a time where if you asked someone what the worst game sequels were, they would probably say something like "Zelda II and Simon's Quest". I liked it plenty, it was the first and still one of the only video games my mother ever played and actually beat (the others being LIMBO and the entire Professor Layton series, lol), so it was a favorite of our household.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Phantom Hourglass is the only mainline Zelda I actually dislike, so probably that one. Unless Triforce Heroes counts.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
I think it's either Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 for me. Zelda 2 for being way too different from the other games and just not looking very fun, and Zelda 1 because I just personally find it really barebones for today's standards and as far as I'm concerned Zelda only really became Zelda with ALTTP. Usually the only people I see picking those as their favorites are people who grew up with them.

Zelda 1 is pretty obtuse without a guide and it doesn't even have real puzzles IIRC, the dungeons are basically just enemy gauntlets which is boring. Another reason I could never get into it is because I'm one of those people who actually cares about story in Zelda games and it's pretty much inexistent there.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword was so bad I sold my Wii and haven't bought a Nintendo console since.

It's definitely that one.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Initial instinct was to say Skyward Sword, since it's probably my least favourite, but putting a little thought into it I can see why people would have it as theirs, even if I disagree.

Thinking about it, maybe A Link Between Worlds? Not because its bad or anything - quite the opposite, in fact, it's great! - but I do think it is something more familiar than fresh. Again, not in and of itself a bad thing, but I do think freshness helps to stand out and be a person's absolute favourite. ALBW is a game I can totally understand doing well on "best Zelda games" at an IGN or Gamespot for example, because everyone likes it, but I'd be a little surprised if it was somebody's number one.

This is not taking into account the various mainline Zeldas that I haven't played like Spirit Tracks or PHourglass, because I can't personally speak to their quality or uniqueness, really.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Skyward Sword for me, the game is just "so wrong" in many directions for a Zelda game, but i guess it hits the Wii nostalgia for some people.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand Zelda II at all, but I started on the SNES so I wasn't there for the release.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Probably Spirit Tracks, but not because of its quality, just because I don't think it made as much of an impact.

Oct 27, 2017
Spirit tracks is great
It sucks that it gets lumped with phantom hourglass when its a pretty great game with some excellenr music

Oct 28, 2017
None would surprise me. They all offer such a different experience.

Now, I have a close friend of mine who's favorite Star Wars movie is Attack of the Clones....

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tri Force Heroes counts right? Now that the online servers got switched off I imagine it's even worse now.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the DS ones so can't say for them but TP would be the one outside of those. Tbh there was actually quite a lot I disliked about that game in general and it has by far my least favorite dungeon in the series.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword is the only mainline Zelda that I would consider a 'bad videogame', so I'll go with that one.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Twilight Princess. That was the only Zelda I just couldn't bring myself to complete. It felt like it the game lacked the soul of the series.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Aside from the true answers (Four Swords Adventures because it is the least accessible, Tri Force Heroes because it is the least good) I would be shocked if someone preferred Phantom Hourglass to the rest of the franchise. The main 3D games all have their passionate fans and so do pretty much all the 2D games (even the lesser played Capcom ones).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Zelda 2

Zelda 2 is so different that most Zelda 2 fans are not exactly zelda fans so it would not be a person who I would be asking what is their favorite zelda

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
If someone's favorite Zelda was Phantom Hourglass, I would be really curious to know what their favorite games of all time are.

For real if you are reading this and your favorite Zelda is PH, let me know some of your other favorite games because that is a very interesting taste.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely II. Because it's a fantastic game, but it's the most radically different from the rest. Even though Zelda II was out first, I associate that style more with the early Ys games like Ys III than Zelda.