• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which MCU actor has been most wasted as a villain?

• Jeff Bridges

Votes: 58 4.2%
  • Mickey Rourke

Votes: 48 3.5%
  • Christopher Eccleston

Votes: 252 18.3%
  • Lee Pace

Votes: 69 5.0%
  • James Spader

Votes: 153 11.1%
  • Mads Mikkelsen

Votes: 758 55.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 40 2.9%

• Total voters

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
+1 for Mads. The role was such a meh character and he barely had any scenes as it is while he is capable of so much more.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
2 birds 1 stone

streamable.com

Watch The Departure | Streamable

Watch "The Departure" on Streamable.
Honestly they should have gotten that track for an Endgame grief scene at the start

Now hear me out its Mads but what if he comes back as dormamu's human form vessel to fight strange in strange 3?
Mads can easily come back in a Doctor Strange sequel. He can play Dormammu in his physical form. When Strange bargained with Dorm in the first movie, it was more of a mirror representation/what Strange was seeing of him (hence one of the reasons why Cumberbatch also voiced Dorm in the movie). They can just say Dormammu used the body of his vassal Kaecilius to enter the 616 universe or whatever in the MCU.
Yes that would be great

ETuHqIEXQAInQlG.jpg

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Honorable mention to Frank Grillo. He's always awesome but his role as Crossbones was perfunctory and throwaway.

He is the fucking Punisher. He would have been the perfect casting for that role.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Blake Nelson probably deserves a mention for being a great actor who played a minor role in The Incredible Hulk, a role which was set up to be THE great hulk villain later but then never happened.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's absolutely Christoper Eccelston and its not even a question. Not only is he an incredible actor-but literally anyone could have played that role. He was unrecognizable in the makeup and barely had any scenes or dialogue worth a damn. It was a complete waste.

Mads was fantastic in that role-as small as it was. Sure they could have cast him in a larger role down the line, but he was fantastic for what he had in that role.
Agreed. Mads was wasted for sure but Eccleston did fuck all. He could have been replaced entirely by CGI and the film would be no better or worse off for it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Mads, but Christopher at a VERY close second. If he was given the chance to play the character more like he is in the comic books it could have been much better.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
The only sense in which Mads was wasted is that he's only appeared in one (so far) film.

Ecclescakes could have been a phenomenal baddie. Whether that could have been Malekith or not, I don't know. But he's the only real answer here.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Definitely Mads. The good thing is that since then I feel they have at the very least been trying to make their villains more interesting. The negative reactions to Yellowjacket and Mads especially triggered them to take the villains a bit more seriously.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The real Mandarin is the villain in Shang-Chi and will be played by Tony Leung.

Yeah...but, it's not going to be the Ben Kingsley version, which "pre IM3 twist" i think was one of the best if not the best villian in the Marvel Universe (Tied with the Kingpin) and that's even with the little screen time he had.

Boy IM3 really shits the bed in the second half of the movie.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Absolutely Mads is the the answer.

However, slightly different but still on-topic: I am so nervous we'll never see Kate Blanchett as Hela again. She was amazing in Ragnarok.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah...but, it's not going to be the Ben Kingsley version, which "pre IM3 twist" i think was one of the best if not the best villian in the Marvel Universe (Tied with the Kingpin) and that's even with the little screen time he had.

Boy IM3 really shits the bed in the second half of the movie.
That's cool but it clearly wasn't their intention.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Tim Blake Nelson probably deserves a mention for being a great actor who played a minor role in The Incredible Hulk, a role which was set up to be THE great hulk villain later but then never happened.

Same applies for Ty Burrell as Doc Samson. It would be great for the upcoming She-Hulk show if he was there.

Anyway Tim Blake Nelson probably has a chance to come back in the She-Hulk show or in a Thunderbolts show or movie maybe. They are already bringing back Tim Roth Abomination too.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
All of them. But I'd say Ecclestone because they didn't just waste him, they wasted Malekith as well.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same applies for Ty Burrell as Doc Samson. It would be great for the upcoming She-Hulk show if he was there.

Anyway Tim Blake Nelson probably has a chance to come back in the She-Hulk show or in a Thunderbolts show or movie maybe. They are already bringing back Tim Roth Abomination too.

Nice, I didn't know that about Tim Roth, that's awesome. Fingers crossed all three show up. They DID mention Blonksi in AoS a few years ago.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I change my answer. I was playing AC Valhalla fighting a Frost Giant when I remembered that Colm Feore played the Frost Giant King in Thor 1.
Buried under tons of makeup and killed like a chump. No one's beats that.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
There are better actors in equally if not more bland roles, but Eccleston is the one that hit me hardest. I was hyped to see him as a villain and then what we got was ... that.

Like most ResetEra polls, the right answer is "Thor: The Dark World."