dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I started playing Destiny 2 in december and have never seen anyone being toxic, at least to me. Even competitive PVP, the people might be tryharding, but no one told me to go die like in other MMOs I played. I actually find it kind of odd how no one ever uses the chat ingame.

And speaking of MMOs, Guild Wars 2. I came back to the game after years without playing and was surprised to see the starting human zone full of people mentoring newbies or just doing community stuff.
I remember a girl that organized a run of some hard maps so people could complete them. It took something like 8 hours to do all of them, it had more than a hundred people, and everyone made sure that everyone was getting their stuff. Even some ArenaNet employees showed up.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
everyone i have met in game in fallout76 has been great. this is now though, 3 months after launch. no idea how it was at launch

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how it is now, but I met a lot of great groups during my time in destiny 1. Then again, I joined dads of destiny, so everyone was real chill.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
No game from my experience with a ranked/competitive mode is progressive or positive. Overwatch is actually one of the more laid back ones outside of competitive honestly. Even in competitive, it's no worse than other games with competitive modes. They are all toxic.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You can't have a competitive game without toxicity, especially when it's a popular shooter.

For Honor has a decent community from my experience though.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
given enough player base it simply become a representation/ reflection of society as a whole so no.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
You can't have a competitive game without toxicity, especially when it's a popular shooter.

For Honor has a decent community from my experience though.
First online match in For Honor had someone screaming at me and another rando for sucking. First point is true though, most cooperative PvE games in my experience have great communities. ESO, Survival games, MHW, Destiny communities were generally nice and accepting. Competitive games tend to bring out the closeted racists/homophobes/transphobes because their rep/ego is at stake when they lose. You doing bad at the video games? shove the blame onto someone else and insult them while you're at it.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Final Fantasy 14 had a cool community when I played, lots of nice people who were very helpful. Never had a bad experience....man, makes me want to pick it up again.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon/Splatoon 2. I'm always shocked at how positive and pro-LGBT the plaza usually is. Of course shit shows up sometimes, but its usually gone the next time I play. I have to imagine Nintendo moderates it pretty heavily because it's, you know, Nintendo.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV and it was made more apparent when they introduce a Mentor system where it reward old players to help newcomers. You'll meet assholes during post-game for sure, but it's very very rare --- in my case 1 time after thousand of hours.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dark Souls was also great before it got too mainstream and 3 became this bro-dude 'git gud' community where everyone had the "Dark Souls is about the difficulty" koolaid attitude.
As someone who has been playing online since Demon's Souls.... lol. It's been full of trolls since day 1

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I want to say this, as even the 4chan community for it is pretty well behaved, at least for 4chan standards.

As regards 4chan communities, I remember hanging out in /vp/ (the pokemon-specific board) for a while and it tended to be pretty good about excising the worse tendencies of the larger community.

That said, for me if Pokemon is low in toxicity it's mainly because it's low in the amount of ways you can interact with others in it. Certainly the way the community has reacted in more public venues to stuff over the years, especially as long-time fans move out of the target audience age range, has not been a source of pride.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Arma 3 has a pretty high ceiling for entry and I very rarely see toxicity

Also the DCS Series, people need to put a lot of time into sims and it isn't worth a lot of trolls time.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every dungeon I've run so far in FFXIV had people thanking each other at the end, it's a very wholesome community from what I've seen, but perhaps endgame is different

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really ever run into toxic people in any game. I always have people on here telling me that there is loads of it happening but I can probably count things on one hand which I would say have been toxic. They are all from rocket league as well.

Been playing Apex Legends pretty constantly since release and have now ran into anything I would remotely call toxic.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i would say Warframe....only because nobodies ever yelled at me. But then again i try to avoid looking at that little chat box thing at the bottom....which im sure i've seen dumb stuff in there b4

I haven't run into any nonsense in Anthem yet.

Destiny has some very cool helpful ppl. Thats for sure. But the community is so big....that theres plenty of aholes as well sadly. Like if ur just jumping around the tower or a map and need a question answered. U can usually get someone to help if u msg them. But the hardcore like endgame ppl that just run raids constantly can be big babies. I hate reading the LFG

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every Multiplayer Game that has some size has a toxic side to it.
Popularity brings toxicity but sometimes its not one that you or everyone else might see directly.

Even WoW back then or FF14 which many use as a good example were and probably are full of toxicity.
Maybe not the overlaying toxicity of maybe a shooter where you could be in a group full of people throwing slurs at each other in public voice chat like in R6 Siege or CounterStrike but i got my fair share of death threats back then in WoW as an active PvPer going for the Top Ranks especially in Classic WoW or for simply showing off my HighTier Raidgear.
Then you have the guys that stalk Women in MMORPGs and basically turn crazy once they don't put out after the Nice Hero maybe carried her through Dungeons.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes. If what you meant by trolls is that people in PvP like to invade you and ruin your game, sure. I don't find that "toxic", they're using the game's own rules and being competitive. It just added challenge and memorability to it.
No I am not talking about that at all, but how toxic some "fight clubs" groups and communities could get with trolls shitting things up, and even for regular PvP, getting hatemail full of slurs, etc. It wasn't as bad as the horror stories I heard about some other games like Overwatch, sure, but that's probably because the userbase is smaller and there isn't really much voice chat.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I would say PSVR games, firewall usually has a pretty friendly bunch to play with - keep in mind everyone in VR has a mic hooked up automatically. FFXIV's community is also pretty good for the most part if you just play casually and stay away from the Hardcore raid groups (EX/Savage fights). FFXI had a better community back in the day, but that's sort of history now.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter has been going downhill the last few months. Kulve Taroth really brought out the idiots.

As long as you stay out of endgame, XIV is pretty chill. Minus the idiots demanding cut scenes be skipped for first timers, and demanding speedruns for everything.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No I am not talking about that at all, but how toxic some "fight clubs" groups and communities could get with trolls shitting things up, and even for regular PvP, getting hatemail full of slurs, etc. It wasn't as bad as the horror stories I heard about some other games like Overwatch, sure, but that's probably because the userbase is smaller and there isn't really much voice chat.
Oh in that sense. Yeah, in general I remember simple online matches of just about any game on PS3 ending with receiving a message that was all "Fuck you, Z&/"#"¤"#%!"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon is the only one for me that feels almost entirely free of toxic bs. It exists, of course people will get salty sometimes, but it's pretty much just on the fringes of the community. All the community figures make a real effort to curb toxic behavior and encourage patience and respect. It's also incredibly welcoming to female and lgbt players.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Oh in that sense. Yeah, in general I remember simple online matches of just about any game on PS3 ending with receiving a message that was all "Fuck you, Z&/"#"¤"#%!"
Yeah, those were common. They made me laugh more than anything else. I've had some pathetic sexual harassment thrown my way a few times too, though, but fortunately those were isolated incidents.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, those were common. They made me laugh more than anything else. I've had some pathetic sexual harassment thrown my way a few times too, though, but fortunately those were isolated incidents.
Exactly :)
I can just chuckle off these kinds of one-off hissy fit messages but one time I had an actual stalker on Reddit who made accounts with my name and numerials at the end and words like (fuck) as a prefix, and kept telling me to kill myself. I had to notify Reddit staff 10 times to get him banned before he stopped coming back.