Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
... I'm trying to think of any that I feel fall outside of the popular viewpoint, but I'm pretty lockstep in my opinions on most of the films. The good Pixar films are the ones most people think are good, and the lesser ones - Cars, Brave, The Good Dinosaur - are the lesser ones.

I guess I think Ratatouille is often the most forgotten one when mentioning their library of "greatest hits" while I think critics and fans were so hungry for another Incredibles that they were generally more favorable to the average Incredibles 2 than they probably should have been.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Underrated: Cars. I know some were upset this was just a movie to push toys, but it was a sweet, fun movie with talking cars, that 'main Street' song still gets me.

Overrated: UP. I liked it just fine, but people had this their favorite and it just didn't connect with me.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Inside Out doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as I hold it personally, I think it's top-tier Pixar.

I think Toy Story 4 was relatively well-regarded, but I found it just boring.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Monsters University's overall message is better than half of Pixar's pictures, including the overrated Up.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Wall-E and it deserves a sequel, the Dolby Vision/HDR grade is visually gorgeous. I've watched this film several times and it never gets old.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Inside Out would be my overrated. Monsters U would be my underrated just for the whole message about talent in a kids movie.

Dec 22, 2017
My dislike of the film doesn't come from what you said (I live in a rural area myself), but rather it wasting a lot of potential it had. There was an absolutely fantastic setting and world there but so much of it is squandered from what it really could've been. I'll always give it points for being something original rather than another sequel, but the film really could've been so much more.
I can respect that. Sorry for jumping down your throat. I posted a thread here a while back about the movie and most of the criticism was around what I mentioned.

To respond to others, Inside Out is the best movie Pixar had ever made so no way is that overrated.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about underrated ones, but Up and Wall-E are overrated in my opinion.
First parts of Up were fantastic and first and last sections of Wall-E were amazing too, but other parts of these animations were mediocre.

Oct 27, 2017
Up. Started out great and then started going south from there. The dogs flying fighter jets was when it really started to get pretty stupid.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Even though it's beloved, I still think the original Toy Story is underrated. It's such a wonderfully written film. Outside of being stupidly quotable, they also make some pretty ballsy decisions when it comes to making both Buzz and Woody unlikable in some respects.

Up and Wall-E are overrated. Still good flicks, but they lack the focus on character that defines the best of Pixar.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Monsters University was lame. It ditched most if not all of the setting of the original that made it a unique story. It's not underrated.

A Bug's Life is underrated. I marvel at how that movie makes the scale of being a bug so visceral. It's jaw dropping. The characters were a little annoying on average but there are plenty of good scenes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Monsters University was lame. It ditched most if not all of the setting of the original that made it a unique story. It's not underrated.

A Bug's Life is underrated. I marvel at how that movie makes the scale of being a bug so visceral. It's jaw dropping. The characters were a little annoying on average but there are plenty of good scenes.
Yeah, I kind of hated Monsters University when I saw it in theatres ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monsters University sucked, especially compared to how good the first one was.

Incredibles 2 was such a huge letdown. Such a long wait and then they just do a re-do of the first film. What.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Overrated: The Incredibles

Underrated: The Incredibles 2

My kid loves both, but I gotta say, part 2 is much better upon multiple viewings. Part of it is the animation, since 2 is obviously superior, but I think it also moves faster and has some great Jack Jack scenes.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm generally in alignment with how Pixar films are popularly regarded. I seemed to have enjoyed Onward more than many people - but it being "underrated" is not a hill I'm willing to die on.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I love these types of threads on here because I always get to read more dislike for popular films than anything I've ever heard in person. With this thread it's hate for Wall-E, never heard such disdain for this beautiful film before today

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love these types of threads on here because I always get to read more dislike for popular films than anything I've ever heard in person. With this thread it's hate for Wall-E, never heard such disdain for this beautiful film before today
I honestly don't think most people in this thread would even tell you it's 'bad'. Just that they don't hold it up as the best in their pantheon.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Overrated: Finding Nemo. It's good, but I never felt like it was a top tier Pixar. It runs into some of the road trip tropes seen in a lot of animated films, and I never felt like the third act climax (with the net) really comes together.

Underrated: The Good Dinosaur. It didn't really click with me until my second viewing when I watched it alone. I just love how weird the film is. That they didn't make this Nemo-esque film with dinosaurs and lots of supporting characters. That they made this super earnest laser-focused nature documentary with barely any dinosaurs in it. I love the second act of this film so much.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think I'm their target market.

I really enjoyed both Monsters Inc movies. I thought they were great. I thought Ratatoullie was really good as was Brave.

I really disliked both Increibles movies, Up, Wall-e and Cars. Just did not like them.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
The fact that people don't unanimously think Coco is the best Pixar film means it is underrated.
Real answer for that would be Brave though.

I'll go with Up for overrated. Just found it boring.

Oct 25, 2017
Vote goes to A Bug's Life as underrated. It's filled with fantastic moments, characters, twists and stakes from beginning to end. Hopper is one of Pixar's best villains to date.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The Cars movies get more hate than they deserve. They aren't Pixar's best, but 1 & 3 are very solid. Even 2 is better than it gets credit for. It's biggest flaw is turning the sidekick into the protagonist, but I like the weird Bond vibe and it has some solid jokes and action. Still one of the worst Pixar films, but it's not as terrible as often claimed.

Coco is overrated. Not that it's not a really good film, but it's definitely mid-tier Pixar for me. It's emotional beats felt more like a 'please cry' from the makers than really earned, and I think that's mostly because they felt the need to add a twist-villain to force conflict and change in stead of having Miguel struggle with his own internal conflicts all the way and convincing his family on his own merrits.

Hurts btw to see Up mentioned so much. That one is onz of Pixars absolute best, and not just because of the married life montage in itself. The rest of the story us brilliantly built on top of it, and the ending pays the montage off in a way that still cuts my breath after so many watches. Utterly brilliant storytelling.

SizzleBiz

Dec 26, 2019
It's funny, I honestly think a number of their movies are underrated, though I think that has happened due to the fact that they had a long run of movies that were phenomenal.

I'm gonna list 3 that I think are judged a bit too harshly, but if you disagree with me though that's chill. I think Cars, Brave, and Monsters University are underrated. Of these, I'd choose Monsters U as the most underrated. It was a fun movie that actually had a message that I think is important and doesn't really get said enough. In addition, Monsters Inc. had always been one of my favourites, so that helped even more.

As for overrated, I'd probably choose Toy Story 2. I just never liked it as a kid, and that dislike has carried on now to my early 20's. Again, if you disagree with me, that's chill.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Underrated: Monsters University. It's fun, and sometimes that's enough. Toy Story 3 gets an honorable mention. It's talked about, but gets overshadowed by TS1.

Overrated: UP. The only part of the film that is worth watching even a single time is the opening montage. Honorable mention to Coco. Almost as boring as UP.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When people talk about Cars, they only think about Cars 2 which is a shame.

Cars 2 wasn't great, but had they'd badged it as a spin-off I think it would have been more palatable. It also means that both Cars and Cars 3 would be the main movies, and they are both fantastic. Cars imo has the greatest ever fictional sporting event in any movie, and Cars 3 was the perfect send off of an ageing hero.

Off-topic: Planes Fire & Rescue is also a damned solid movie.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Ratatouille is underrated because it's not just Pixar's best movie, it's one of the best movies ever made, period.

I also find Finding Nemo overrated, just never clicked for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I agree with Monsters University being underrated. In a lot of ways it's kind of a conventional college movie and it's really not the prequel or sequel to Monsters Inc. I had in mind. But ultimately I thought it was fun. Its core message is that even if college doesn't work out for you, that doesn't mean that you can't succeed in life, which is really sweet and unique and something I wish I saw in more pieces of media.

I actually think Ratatouille is pretty overrated, but I guess I more mean that in the sense that it's just like, not my bag. I can't think of much I don't specifically think is good about it. For a movie that I actually do have an issue with I'll say Wall-E. The first half is beautiful and then the second half literally ruins the entire movie, devolving into a gigantic joke about how people will be fat in the future. The whole thing is entirely tonally disconnected from the first half.

FWIW Cars 2 is actually the Cars movie I like, but I never saw 3. Cars 1 feels like a glorified Dreamworks movie without any of the humor or pop culture sendups those movies have. Cars 2 basically IS a DreamWorks movie, and it's a decently charming send up of James Bond.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Ratatouille is arguably the best animated film ever made.

I've shown it to 8 year olds time and time again, year after year, and it gets the nod for not only being well-paced, beautiful, and well-directed with a lot of frenetic action, but also has some really touching scenes, a good story with a relatable message that kids can understand, but that adults can get without having to be pandered to with a bunch of double-meaning bullshit.

This and Song of the Sea (not a Pixar movie) are my go-to films whenever there's down time in my classroom.

Whether it's underrated and overrated, it's just amazing.

Now, I could go on and on about how certain folks expect kids films to overreach when their only goal should be entertaining kids (who have high expectations, believe it or not), but that's for another thread.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Up is overrated. Everyone knows and loves the opening scene, but the longer you get in the movie the less anyone can remember what happens.

Onward is already underrated, I liked that quite a bit. Not an all-time classic, but deserved more love than it got.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Ratatouille is underrated. One of the best animated movies of all time and easily the best Pixar movie.

Overrated...whew. Almost everything else. There aren't that many truly great Pixar movies. Toy Story, Incredibles, Ratatouille. The rest aren't bad but they aren't masterpieces either. Most Pixar movies run out of gas before the first act is over.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Coco is underrated. I think its one of their best and nobody seems to talk about it.
Overrated: wall-e

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the original Cars gets far too much hate from people.

Over rated I've never been a big fan of monsters inc, the last 20-30 minutes do a lot to salvage the film but I think most of it is kinda dull.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Wall-E is not a good film. The first 15 minutes are great, but it devolves quickly into a Dreamwork quality film after.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overrated : So many. Up, Inside Out (This movie tries so hard to be sad urgh), both Finding Nemo's, Incredibles 2.
Underrated: Brave and Coco.

Oct 27, 2017
Overrated: Up. It's ok, the opening is obviously powerful but beyond that it's just kind of dreary.

Underrated: Onward. Me and the kids loved it, watched it twice back to back. I haven't heard my daughter laugh as hard as she did at the bit with the dad shaking his first out the window at the sprites in the can chase or the dancing scene. It's just a really endearing film and a jolly old romp.

I actually really like all the cars films too. Even Cars 2 which felt to me like the sort of madcap stories and games I would play with my own toy cars and lego.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Underrated:
Brave & Cars: Not great but still a lot better and more imaginative than any of the Pixar sequels other than Toy Stories and The Incredibles 2. I actually really like the world building in both of these films.

Overrated:
Ratatouille & Up. Both are really solid 8/10 films but not really top tier Pixar for me.
Monsters University & Finding Dory: Lazy unimaginative sequels. Entertaining but really forgettable.