• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
S-Tier (few if any stinkers, tons of creativity and inspired designs):

Gen 2 (Johto)
Gen 7 (Alola)

A-Tier (only a handful of stinkers, and at least a few bonafide classics)

Gen 1 (Kanto)
Gen 3 (Hoenn)
Gen 5 (Unova)
Gen 8 (Galar)

B-Tier (a few stinkers, a few mons that are just boring, but still solid overall with a few really cool concepts peppered in)

Gen 6 (Kalos)
Gen 9 (Paldea)

C-Tier (that gen with Lickilicki)

Gen 4 (Sinnoh)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Favourite is hard but probably gen 2. Less favourite easily gen 6

RedBullRB6

Sep 4, 2020
Gen 1 was magical and Gen 2 was cool. Stopped playing after Gen 3 which I didn't care for much, neither the Pokemon nor the game itself.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Have a few examples:

Great Tusk:
0984Great_Tusk.png

Sandy Shocks:
0989Sandy_Shocks.png

Walking Wake:
1009Walking_Wake.png

I really do like the Paradox Pokemon.
oh wtf these are good

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Gen 2 for sure.

So many of my faves are from that gen. Heracross. Scizor. Kingdra. Politoed. Tyranitar. Stantler.

Just so good.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
a63061b4566c3710b15edd7b49c998ce.jpg
It's Gen 7 for me and it's not even close.
It's got everything.

It has my favorite Starter (Rowlet), my favorite Legendary (Solgaleo/Tapu Koko), my favorite spin on a Pikaclone (Mimikyu), my favorite early Bug (Vikavolt) and my overall most favorite Pokémon (Rock ruff).

How could it not be Gen 7?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best: Kanto. I love those Gen 1 eyes tbh. Kalos is the runner up.

Worst: Unova. Alola is almost as bad.

Unova was the first gen where I realllly struggled to fill a team. I'm all for the idea of a region with an all new dex, but if you're going to do that why the absolute fuck would you have a bunch of expys of Gen 1 Pokemon? But something about Unova Pokemon just feels off in general.

Edit: Full ranking would be...

1 > 6 > 2 > 4 > 9 > 3 >> 8 > 7 > 5

Last edited:

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Best: 1,7 or 9
Gen 1 monster are Iconic for a reason.
Gen 7 has the most cohesive pokedex
I appreciate that Gen 9 took some real risks with the designs.

Worst: 4 or 6 (including megas)

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to count 1 since it was all new. I think it's Gen 3 for me, followed by 5 or 6.

4 was probably my least favorite at the time it came out, but it's grown on my a lot since.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 2 just completely and utterly knocked it out of the park. Almost everything is firing on all cylinders.
Gen 4 gets an honorary mention bc my fav Pokemon of all time is Budew. I absolutely adore the lineup of new evolutions too.

Gen 5 is easily the worst, followed by 7 for designs imo. A hideous motley crew.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite is probably Sinnoh, my least is hard to decide because I love all of them in some way but Kalos is probably my least favorite batch.

Sinnoh had a lot of amazing diverse designs and typings introduced, as well as the first real generation to take a big crack at giving old Pokemon new evolutions.

Kalos really just felt mediocre. I can't think of any real standouts beyond Greninja and some of the Mega Evolution designs.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The best one is Kanto of course.

The worst is the one with that stupid ice cream Pokemon.

BearBobomb

Jun 3, 2022
Earth
I dont think there's a bad generation but my favorite are Hoenn and Sinnoh, least favorite is maybe Kalos? Hard to say tho, I like a lot of designs in there.

Gotta say im pretty surprised at gen 4 & 5 being in a lot of people's least liked

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna say 5 and Scarlet and Violet. 5 is crammed with uninteresting designs despite them being busy as heck. SV are just some of the most forgettable made sans the time variations.

Weirdly gen 5 brought Volcarona one of my favorites out of all 1000 made this far

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I like gen 2 pokemon the best, due to how special Heart Gold was for me, and due to being an autistic 10 year old, White naturally had my least favourite pokemon. Currently though, kind of just not fussed about gen 6, they're all kind of boring and don't have the charm or variety of gen 7 for instance

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Would need to think about it for my favorite but i know my least favorite is gen 5. I think the only Pokémon I liked were the box art legendaries lol.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Gen 2 > Gen 3 > Gen 7 > the rest

Gen 4 is probably the worst because it relies on older Pokémon so much. Gen 9 is pretty bad too.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I find myself thinking fondly on Gen 5. Not the perfect roster but man it had some bangers (Reuniclus, Bisharp, Chandelure, Whimsicott, Volcarona all top tier).

Gen 2 is probably up there too.

As for least favorite it was a tie between Gen 4 or 8 then I remembered 8 gave us Dragapult

XHDpPtM.png

So I gotta give it the edge. Sorry Gen 4!

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Gen 3 and 5 are my favourites for sure, so many great designs.

6 is the worst easily, you can keep them all other than Xerneas and Furfrou. 4 is next worst

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Least favorite is Hoenn because they changed the Pokémon art style going from Kanto/Johto to Hoenn.

I don't have a favorite roster tbh.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
I'd go with Alola as the best set of new Pokémon although I have a lot of nostalgia for Sinnoh so that would be second

I think Alolas new Pokémon also feel like they're from the Pokémon world's version of Hawaii whereas the older ones don't as much (not their fault times were just different then) or regions like Paldea which feels like a mishmash of random animals and creatures and doesn't feel "Iberian" that much tbh

Edit: forgot to mention my least but I'd go with Johto most likely

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Gen 2 for me. To avoid turning it into a list wars, I'll just say I especially love the new evolutions they added to Gen 1 pokemon. All around incredible (and colorful) designs.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 7 just has top tier design after top tier design. By far the best

Last edited:

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
a63061b4566c3710b15edd7b49c998ce.jpg
It's Gen 7 for me and it's not even close.
It's got everything.

It has my favorite Starter (Rowlet), my favorite Legendary (Solgaleo/Tapu Koko), my favorite spin on a Pikaclone (Mimikyu), my favorite early Bug (Vikavolt) and my overall most favorite Pokémon (Rock ruff).

How could it not be Gen 7?

Adding to this, if i were to choose the worst Gen it's either 2, 8 or 9. It's not that i find them to be particularly bad, but they all suffer from the same problem that aside from a few Standouts, they are mostly forgettable.

Gen 2 in particular turned me off the franchise so badly that i missed all of Gen 3 and only came back near the end of Gen 4, after the release of Platinum and shortly before the release of HG/SS.
It's not the fault of the Pokemon that i got turned off Gen 2, but they sadley barley did any good either with Tyrannitar and Scizor being the biggest (and almost only) + in favor of Gen 2

Aug 13, 2019
Least favorite would have to be 6 followed by 2. 2 only gets the edge because of Scizor.

My favorite is most likely 3 followed by 9.

Scratch that. Looking at them side by side, I'd have to say 9 is my favorite. Gen 9 just has so many designs that speak to me. Lokix, Dachsbun, Baxcalibur, Tinkaton, Armorouge and Ceruledge, Arboliva, Walking Wake, Clodsire, Koraidon and Miraidon. Gen 9 is just amazing in general.

Last edited:

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Gen 4 will always be number one for me, though I guess it's more of a sentimental thing since my journey with Pokemon peaked during that time and I feel I resonate with a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon because of that.

There are gems in every generation but overall my least favorites are probably Gen 7 and/or Gen 8.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
My favorite as a whole gotta be Gen 7. The UltraBeasts are amazing, and there are so many other good designs such as Rowlet, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Type: Null. Gen 3 is my second favorite.

My least favorite is Gen 5... basically a bunch of Great Value Kanto rehashes. Gen 8 is a close second.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Favorite: Hoenn (Gen 3) [Unova (Gen 5) is a close second]
Least Favorite: Sinnoh (Gen 4)

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is probably between Gen 2 and 3 for me.. kinda leaning towards 3.

Least favorite is Paldea and Alola and they are really far off. I dislike most of the Paradox stuff. Ultramons had the best designs in Alola

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Favorite: Gen VI I think. Being the first gen designed in 3D from the get go really got their creative juices flowing I think. So many solid designs.

Least favorite: Gen VIII
Starters suck, legendaries suck, and nothing in between impresses. Just a disappointment all around. Regional exclusive cross gen evos also feel like a slap in the face to the fans of the original Pokémon.

Full ranking: VI > V > IV > IX > VII > III > I > II > VIII

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
5 is the best, don't have a clear worst but 8 and 9 started to lose my interest so one of those I suppose.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Most favorite? 3rd gen - a lot of dragons and some of my most favorites like salamence and metagross are in this gen

Least favorite? 4th gen - none of the new Pokemon are memorable

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like for me my fondness has just gone down hill with each generation past 3. Not because I dislike Pokemon, just because it's hard to care about so many different pokemon, and more just keep being added. I can name most pokemon from gens 1-3 by name, or at the very least recognise them if I see them, but past that they start to become more of a blur to me. Not to say all the designs are bad or anything, there's definitely still some standouts.