TWO CHOICES. YOU CAN SELECT YOUR TOP TWO

• A Derelict Ship / Space Station in Deep Space.

• A House / Mansion

• A City Block (with appropriate mood)

• Cruise Ship out in sea

• Cabin in the Woods / Forest

• Amusement Park

• Hospital / College Campus / Asylum

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
474a7d6e705aff152800249d70b8d208.jpg

ahe3h7m7nuliwqv38hcbiipwhhaozydg9jnq5vvrxapcofrxjoys9a6nvd7mcd9c-.jpg

photo.jpg

01918550b8be519ec20a971175d9dd77.jpg

Cane-Hill-Asylum-2.png

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Confined spaces with no means of escape make for some of my favorite horror dynamics. Voted for space ship/station and cruise ship.

I'm curious about the city block one. What's a good example of a film or game that uses this setting?

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
btw for a video game that is. Obviously, since this is the gaming side by I never specified. So, best locale that would scare you for a video game.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a derelict spaceship is the most horrifying for me. Space is vast and empty. There's nothing outside of that ship. You can't escape it. With any other setting you can theoretically run away if you get outside, but on a derelict spaceship you might be the only living thing for literal light years around. It adds an element of existential horror to the other horror for me.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know human-kind has a subconscious desire to categorize and rank literally everything under the sun (best of the year/decade threads being no exception) but all that aside I really don't think there's a definitive SPOOPIEST SETTING. That being said, a confined building (mansion, cabin, discount chain mall, etc) is suited well to a horror game

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
Confined spaces with no means of escape make for some of my favorite horror dynamics. Voted for space ship/station and cruise ship.

I'm curious about the city block one. What's a good example of a film or game that uses this setting?
Same answers, having no immediate and "safe" escape is what would make a situation the most stressful in my opinion.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
If used well, I think you can get the greatest mileage out of a derelict spacecraft - it's just among the easiest to screw up.

But part of the advantage with a spaceship or station is that, because they exist currently in more of a speculative space - unless you decide you wanna go relatively low-tech on the sci-fi and do a horror aboard say, the ISS - you can tailor it as to basically whatever you desire to play around with the mood, where an environment situated on Earth runs into the issue of having to fit the template of the locale and its expectations. And as Tharp says, a spacecraft inherently rationalises why you can't just leave - it's fucking space, you're not going aware without a separate escape craft.

Prey is a really good example of how one can play with the dimensional space to great effect. You can have tight, narrow corridors in which there is little escape from immediate, obvious threats. Or you can have wide, open spaces that almost look pleasant, and so are difficult to discern just where a threat - if there even is any - might come from. Because the vessel is a construct, it can have potential points of entry that are less intuitive in a more natural environment but totally make sense in a wholly artificial one: ventilation shafts, particularly running through the floor ('the ground' being not so easily traversed except on top of it planetside), are an infamous unto a tad cliché example of this. You can also more easily screw with the rules of the environment without even technically invoking anything spooky - gravity can just turn off on a space station, whereas on Earth that would immediately be a suggestion of something otherworldly at work.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
What about your dreams or your own mind? Like Alan Wake or Silent Hill. You can basically create any environment you want.

Outside that, the derelict space station. Or underwater station or large ship. Maybe a mine or catacombs, such as on Thief.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's definitely abandoned buildings and stuff. They just give off the eeriest and creepiest vibes and also are more immersive. Space stations can't be as creepy for me because they are going to always be more fantastical I guess.

Not saying there aren't some creepy ones, but overall it's harder to pulloff right.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
What about your dreams or your own mind? Like Alan Wake or Silent Hill. You can basically create any environment you want.

Outside that, the derelict space station. Or underwater station or large ship. Maybe a mine or catacombs, such as on Thief.

Yeah. Ultimately it came down to limited poll choices. And I think the biggest takeaway message is that any well designed game can be made scary anywhere. If the right vision and talent is behind it.

Looking at the poll results so far....man, only if Dino Crisis 3 was done right. Fucking Dinosaurs in space.

Oct 27, 2017
Amusement Park because of the potential for clown imagery, hospitals for all of the creepy patient potential. Still lots of good options in the poll.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The places without a reasonably quick way of leaving if shit goes down, so spaceship, boat, then cabin in the woods in that order.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Spaceship for sure. There is no escape at all, and even if it breaches outside of the ship space is scary as fuck anyway.

Cruise ship is probably the most similar for a runner up. Completely trapped, and your only option out of there is water filled with who knows what else.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
cdDC8tR.png

Ever since my mother let me watch ALIEN with her as a child, and seeing one of the trailers for it and the music along with the final tagline, I have been unbelievably creeped out by being on a spaceship. It's the fucking tagline, simple yet effective.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I was just thinking how much I'd love a modern survival horror game in an urban environment.

Resident Evil did this with 3, and then there's Condemned: Criminal Origins and Dying Light.

I want more.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Normal houses are really good because of their familiarity and how twisted something that normally feels safe becomes.

Its why PT and RE7 were pretty effective.

Space Stations definitely number 2 for me. Fear of the unknown and no escape in the vacuum of space.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Skyscraper office building. Runner-up, giant Tower of Babel-like megastructure in an alternate dimension.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the mind? For example, The Evil Within. I think that as a backdrop allows for a multitude of different scenarios and horrors that couldn't exist in the other types of settings.​