• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• Apple Music

Votes: 218 30.1%
  • Amazon Music

Votes: 57 7.9%
  • Deezer

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Spotify

Votes: 387 53.5%
  • Tidal

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • YouTube Music

Votes: 142 19.6%
  • Other (Pandora, SoundCloud, etc)

Votes: 22 3.0%

• Total voters

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
Weird that Tidal and Deezer were the only with no votes until I voted.

Tidal I have because of my mobile carrier service. It is a surprisingly good service, I always thought that it sucked (specially coming from Spotify and apple music, which my carrier offered before) but not at all from my experience.

Deezer I had some months because my car's infotainment has a native app for that, and I also thought that it was a good service

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Apple Music, main reason being that I can easily be subbed to the Japanese version unlike Spotify which requires a Japanese credit card.
Also I find that Apple Music has better UI overall, and I can put my non-Apple Music stuff easily there.

Aug 31, 2019
I feel like there needs to be "None I listen to physical / mp3s" and "I don't really listen to music" as options.

I used to use Spotify, but these days I just buy albums I really care about from bandcamp, and if I just need random noise to shut other sounds out / concentrate I listen to tension YouTube "lo fi" etc

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Don't think I'll ever subscribe to a streaming platform, I either convert the music from my own collection or download it. I don't like how these streaming services are messing with the songs because of sample issues, I like my hip hop tracks and albums in its original form, thanks.

OP
OP
names2hard4you
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I feel like there needs to be "None I listen to physical / mp3s" and "I don't really listen to music" as options.

I used to use Spotify, but these days I just buy albums I really care about from bandcamp, and if I just need random noise to shut other sounds out / concentrate I listen to tension YouTube "lo fi" etc
I can only post 7 options in a pole, and I'm already cutting out a ton of other popular options, so the question is mostly for those that are subscribed to a service.

Last edited:

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
There really should be a standardised way to export / import your music library (taking into account availability) between these services. And not just because I found it annoying - the time it takes could be considered an anti-competition issue. If another service gave me the same as what I had now but cheaper it still might not be worth the man hours of me adding thousands of tracks again.

Went from Google Play to YouTube Music, then ended up switching to Apple Music because it was closest to Google Play in terms of integrating your own tracks that aren't part of its library.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use TIDAL HiFi Plus but I'm subscribed to YouTube Premium and Amazon Prime so also get YouTube Music / basic Amazon Music (neither of those I use much).

Oct 27, 2017
Does Plex count? I technically pay a monthly fee for it, though it only streams my own music.

Otherwise I just use my Zune still.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify because it gives me free Hulu.
Though I'm not sure why or how, and apparently if I cancel I lose it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have Amazon Prime, which means I also have Amazon music, which I think I've used a few times.

I don't stream enough music to where I think its worth paying for a dedicated service.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Music HD and YouTube Music (which I never use) via Premium.

Cancelled Spotify a month or two ago because I was tired of waiting on their lossless tier and found myself listening to Amazon HD 90% of the time anyway due to the vastly superior sound quality and discovery algorithms, despite having 7+ years of history & playlists on Spotify(which I still use for most podcasts).

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Apple Music - still have my $5 student plan going so it's pretty handy. I hate Spotify because they give a platform to Joe Rogan among other things.

I'll probably end up doing Apple One whenever the student plan runs out.

OP
OP
names2hard4you
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Gonna be honest, the student discount was what got me into the Spotify ecosystem. I really like their "In Review" stuff that they do at the end of the year and that's one of the big reasons I stayed for as long as I did, along with all my friends using it too. But lately the hardcore push of podcasts on the home page annoys me to no end... I have to scroll forever to find music, and as I mentioned, more often than not that also comes from the recommendations not even being that good - which is surprising given how much and how long I have used the app for.

For the lack of features that YT Music has compared to Spotify, they know my tastes to a scary T, even though I have barely dabbled in it. I'm considering not renewing my Spotify sub after I get my "In Review", migrate that off to YT Music and then start clean there.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Spotify. I did Pandora for a while, but Spotify has such a massive amount of content I had to make the switch.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Apple Music, TY Music, Amazon. The latter two are because they're bundled with other services. Not really because I want them. Although TY Music is good for quick requests from smart speakers.

My personal collection is all in Apple Music.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify for me. I've been a premium member for almost as long as they've been around. What keeps me there is the amazing Spotify Wrapped presentation they have every year (which is coming soon and I'm stoked). I love digging into that and having basically my life that year summarized by what I was listening to. It's nostalgic going back and listening to previous years too. Nobody can do that as well as Spotify does.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Just Spotify. Can't remember the last time I bought music in physical media or digital download vs using a streaming service…might have been Syro back in 2014.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I only really listen to flac, which means buying from sites that offer that, or buying a physical cd to rip if digital is unavailable. I'm not the kind of person to listen to music all that often, so when I do I know what I want to hear and I just want it to sound good. Not interested in discovery features, or sacrificing anything for convenience.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify, tried switching to Apple music but Apple music HATES if you want to try to add music munaually to your phone (ESPECIALLY if it's not already part of the Apple Music Catalog) to the point where I just gave up trying to figure out how to make it work and canceled my subscription

Oct 29, 2017
Had Spotify for years but drifted away and landed on Apple Music, which I've been using daily for a year or so really.

I pay the full ÂŁ10 a month for AM but I also have a Tidal sub via Argentina which costs me ÂŁ1 a month or so, YouTube Music via Premium for around the same, and I'm on a Spotify family account for ÂŁ17 every 6 months.

They all have annoyances:

- Spotify - Absolutely no interest in podcasts in my music app and it pushes them HEAVILY. Also Joe Rogan
- Apple Music - Has a habit of splitting albums up and I can't be bothered using iTunes to fix stuff up that shouldn't be happening
- Tidal - Currently has an issue where it won't play any hi res music without buffering.
- YouTube Music - UI is pretty terrible, sound quality isn't as good as the others, merges my video account with music (tried a brand account but it's not ideal)

I'm not sure what service I'll stick with. I should probably drop AM given I get the others for the price I do.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on Apple Music for a while, but due to a recent influx of technical issues (songs skipping, lots of static, app crashing), I went back to Spotify this week and haven't had an issue

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I first got into Spotify when it was added to the PS4. I've heard that Apple Music is pretty good, but I like Spotify a lot, so I never felt like there was any reason to switch.

Oct 27, 2017
i pay for spotify but i donate and listen to NTS radio far more these days. spotify is mostly for playlist organization/new album spins/occasional algorithmic discovery

May 31, 2021
I don't pay for any deliberately, but I pay for prime, so get prime music which I use occasionally and is sufficient for my needs.

I prefer radio!

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube Music since it comes with YouTube Premium. I'm on a grandfathered pricing family plan with friends, comes out to $2.50/month each. No other service can compete for value at that rate.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Spotify. I had Apple music free for 6 months and it's just an anemic service compared to Spotify imo.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
My wife is the main music user in our house and she prefers Apple Music over anything else. We prepay for one year (single user) since you can save about $20.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I've been swapping around for the past couple years on free trials. My rankings: Tidal > Apple Music > Spotify > Youtube Music.

May 14, 2021
I switched to Apple Music for a month and immediately went back to Spotify. I only use Apple devices and am amazed at how AM music fucks up repeatedly off of WiFi. Also the inability to control music remotely on PS5 is awful.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube Music, it sucks. But I get it included/benefits from other shit, so whatever, I'll stick with it. I'd switch to Spotify if I wanted another one, but I'm not going to pay two subs, and the YouTube premium benefits are worth it.

I don't care about music enough to switch, and my wife + kid are the primary users. 90% of use these days is "Hey google play disney dance songs" which is fine, it works and you pretty much can't fuck that up.

The radio/playlist/mixes in YouTube Music are the dribbling shits. Fuckin HORRIBLE. Worse, much worse, than Google Play Music. It's been like 2 years or more since YTM launched, the radio/playlists SUCKED then, it was a major complaint, and it's been 2+ years and as best I can tell they are not better at all.

Play Tom Petty Radio
[play list generates]

Of the first 10 songs, 4 of them are Tom Petty or Tom Petty & Stevie Nix songs. Of the other 6 is is like this horrible clash of soft 70s/80s rock, and it's just so so so so bad. Nobody who is asking to listen to Tom Petty radio wants to hear The Band - The Weight or John Melloncamp. They're just not the same. This was my criticism a couple years ago, so let's run a Tom Petty radio collection now:

gMEVo3.png

Just generated a Tom Petty radio playlist.

Tom Petty fans, look at how bad this is.

20 songs on this list right here.
  • 5 Tom Petty songs
  • 5 Bob Seger Songs
  • 2 Bruce songs
  • 3 Fleetwood Mac songs
And then it's just the most fucking generic 70s/90s rock that most people don't want to hear unless it's like ... "Bar rock radio" ... Magic Carpet Ride, Pink Houses, fucking Life's Been Good, Can't You See...... 🤮

And these are just such generic 70s/80s rock radio hits. And listen, I love Bruce Springsteen, I love Fleetwood Mac, I like Bob Seger, but I don't want generic rock radio , I don't want to hear ... monster ballads from the 70s/80s.

Like it's just so bad. And it's been like this for 2 fucking years.

I wish I could see what Spotify's Tom Petty radio was like. I just tested out Amazon music, and you can't get a full queue... It says it learns based on your preferences, but I just ran through 5 songs and it was really, really bad. I didn't think anything could be worse than YouTube Music for this, but it was.

Sadly, GOogle Play Music's radio feature was fucking awesome. I dunno, it just understood that Tom Petty radio is going to be a mix of 70s/80s rock, rhytm & blues, ecclectic rock songs, some pop-rock americana, some alt country, some modern, some classic, like a good ecclectic mix... that if you're into Tom Petty, you probably like Bruce but you probably like the deep cuts of Bruce the most, and you probably like Dylan, some Neil Young, some Dire Straits stuff, some modern alt pop rock... But not fucking the most generic 70s/80s rock songs like Life's Been Good, Magic Carpet RIde, and Pink Houses.

So let's do Paul Simon

gMEqJD.png

Okay, so first, hats off to YouTube Music for putting I Know What I know and Loves Me Like a Rock on this. I Know What I Know is basically the perfect song to start off a *Paul SImon* radio playlist. Deeper track, underrated, excellent song, more modern world music than the folk stuff, which if you wanted the folk stuff then you'd probably do SImon and Garfunkel.

But look at the list? So many of the same songs as Tom Petty Radio.

Twenty songs
  • NINE OF THEM ARE PAUL SIMON / S&G SONGS FOR FUCKS SAKE... Paul Simon *RADIO* should be different than PAul SImon *GREATEST HITS PLAYLIST* FFS
  • 2 Seger songs
  • 3 Fleetwood mac songs
  • 3 Petty songs
And then again basically big rock radio hits from the 70s... Van Morrison, Cant You See again, fucking Brown Eyed Girl ... Tom Petty's big hits. And then, okay, so we've got a Crosby Stills Nash -Young song...... and it';s fucking ... Judy Blue eyes for fucks sake NO. Off screen is Darius Rucker wagon wheel. Like ... it's just... it's just impossible.

Last edited:

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went from Google Play Music (which was the best) to Spotify. The Android app is GARBAGE. Like dumpster fire levels of terrible. Super unintuitive. Been eyeing up YouTube Music - no ads on Youtube is nice, and if it is half as good as GP music was then I might make the switch from THE TERRIBLE APP THAT IS SPOTIFY.