Which Suikoden has your favorite story/writing?

• Suikoden I

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Suikoden II

Votes: 98 61.3%
  • Suikoden III

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • Suikoden IV

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Suikoden V

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Suikoden Tactics

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
With Eiyuden released I have seen quite a bit of discussion about the story and how it compares suikoden proper.

I was curious which of the series stories was peoples favorite.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
II has the best story but the worst translation. Literally unfinished in certain points (Sajah Village).

V has the best translation, but the story is kind of rough. Lots of characters making frustrating, stupid decisions and not elaborating on why.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Suikoden 2 is the strongest start to finish. I think Suikoden 5 has some neat ideas, but the first five and last ten hours are a mess.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
II has the best story but the worst translation. Literally unfinished in certain points (Sajah Village).

V has the best translation, but the story is kind of rough. Lots of characters making frustrating, stupid decisions and not elaborating on why.
V is my favorite but you're not totally wrong. Sialeeds' heel turn… questionable.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
Depending on where in the story, it's a toss-up between I and II. II has some greater individual moments but there's a lot of ho-hum in-between.

Zoator

Oct 27, 2017
I loved them all, but 3 had the strongest story with 2 and 5 closely behind. I thought the Trinity Sight system was really effective, and it also did a lot of the heavy lifting for the Suikoverse lore. However, as a game I think it aged pretty poorly, with 1, 2, and 5 all playing better today.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to replay 5. At the time, I thought that 5 and 2 were tied as the best Suikoden games. That was almost twenty years ago.

It's either 2 or 5 though. 3 is right behind them.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
3 has the most engaging story overall for me, even if 2 has a strong emotional impact with its main characters.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
5 is the only game in the series I genuinely think is excellent, 3 has a decent story overall but the Hugo part is boring and the game is unbelievably tedious to actually play. I don't like 2 as much as most people

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Suikoden II still has the best setting and cast of characters, even if I think Suikoden V is a better overall game experience.

Man, I really need Suikoden I & II HD ASAP.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I would say 3 has the best characters and the most developed story but playing through it wasn't always the most fun.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
2 has some of the best story moments. I'm glad I was able to see all three endings without having to play through it multiple times (even though it took me longer to get through it once than it did for me to get through the first game twice LOL).

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Vote 2. It was the best when all things were considered. I think 3 and 5 beat it in some areas but they had other things holding it back such as imbalance of character arcs and pacing issues imo.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have super fond memories of the first one but the second game has overall the bigger emotional impact.

Let's do a new poll once the honeymoon period with Eiyuden is over

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
2 but not by a lot. I think 2 is the best but if you only focus on story then it becomes harder. They all have great story. 4 had a lot of issues. But even the story I feel was really good. It needed more time in the oven then the rest.
But for writing then Chris Lightfellow is probably my favorite character in all games.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021

the story in 3 felt so short because they divide it for 6 character in same timeframe, so the pacing is a mess

Oct 26, 2017
3, but it may be from most recently experiencing it through the manga. The Trinity system was amazing, and all three (five, really) core casts were interesting. It did rely a lot on having 1 and 2 do the heavy lifting to set up the world, so that 3 could do a lot of really interesting subversions.

It also helps not having a mute main character. Hugo, Chris and Geddoe are all leagues beyond poor Riou. Also, the way 3 instead handled the existence of the Flame Champion was pretty damn inspired.

MouseBetr

Sep 11, 2023
I played 2, 3, and 1.

Suikoden 2 was a very "right place right time" kind of game when it released during my mid-teen mouse years. I was extremely engrossed in how unique and fresh it seemed, and the story between the main characters really emotionally hooked me.

I tried to replay it about a decade or so later, but it didn't go so well. By that point in my life, the mediocre (sometimes outright terrible) localization of the game was a lot more apparent. I found myself surprisingly disappointed.

I liked S3. It didn't quite grab me like S2 originally did, but it had enough good moments that I felt positive about it. I found Hugo and Chris to be a bit disinteresting at first, but I have grown to appreciate their characters a little more over time.

I can't remember much about Suikoden 1, despite that I played it last of these three.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
The first two are the only Game of Thrones games you'll ever need, but I have to give the edge to 2 among them, the story is just perfect.

Apr 24, 2024
2 is going to win and it probably the overall best but I gave my vote to V. V is so close to nailing it, the implications of political relationships in regards to the throne, the responsibility of the ruler to the realm, the question of divine right of kings (or queens in this case). There's a lot going on. They don't quite stick the landing but its really close. Honestly I felt worse when
Sialeeds betrays the party than anything Jowy does, maybe because he was too similar to Delita to me, just not as much of an asshole.
III has some good moments too, especially in some of the ties to 2, but gets overshadowed by its main villain.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Suikoden_3.jpg

<3

Apr 24, 2024
V is my favorite but you're not totally wrong. Sialeeds' heel turn… questionable.
She feels limited by what her ties to the throne allow her to do, who she can marry, the whole system. As the queen's sister, her options are limited or else she becomes a political threat to usurp the throne. On top of which, the queen herself is prone to bouts of madness and extreme cruelty. In some ways V is the most GOT of all the Suikoden games. People just focus on Luca's violence but theres not a ton of reasoning there outside of his mother's death.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
2 is going to win and it probably the overall best but I gave my vote to V. V is so close to nailing it, the implications of political relationships in regards to the throne, the responsibility of the ruler to the realm, the question of divine right of kings (or queens in this case). There's a lot going on. They don't quite stick the landing but its really close.

2 has a great personal story, but Suikoden V has the best political story in the series IMO.

And the way you gradually see more of the onion of "what happened" as the story progresses is fantastic and doesn't feel contrived. The way various factions interact (especially the manipulation by the Barrows family and their fall from grace) is great too.

I like 3 a lot, but it doesn't have as much of the politics - what happens with the Zexen knights and the merchant council is fairly well glossed over, and Harmionia's politics aren't dwelt on much either.

Oct 26, 2017
Can I just jump into any of these? Should I start with 1?

Yes, you should start with 1 but you might want to wait until the remaster is out. Both 2 and 3 benefit from being played in order. 4 is almost entirely separate but not very good. 5 is mostly separate but has some callbacks to 2, so that would be the one safest to play right now, as it's also super unlikely to get a remaster anywhere within the next ten years.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
2 is one of my favorite games of all time, so that one. I enjoyed 5 a lot, too, and I think some story beats are better, but overall I prefer 2.

I enjoyed Tactics, more for the gameplay than the story though. 4 was alright? Can't remember that much about it, but I know I liked it more than 3, which I didn't enjoy.

1 was fine as an intro to the series.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I voted V, but I probably would replay II more. III is a great culmination of the first two games and is able to soar higher because of the strong storytelling in them. If 3 didn't have the

plot about Luc trying to change fate and end the curse of the True Runes
it wouldn't be half as good.

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
I voted 3 - the trinity sight system was a great way of telling the whole story.

For those interested, I highly recommend the manga adaptation of 3. Characters and story points are greatly fleshed out. Even Hugo and the tribe members become very well rounded characters.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
This is a very difficult question.
I think at the end of the day, 3 has the best story that also best-realizes many of the themes of the first 2 games, but my favorite story in the series is, by far, 1.