Oct 25, 2017
The White House can't even properly record the public part of the summit after Trump got two hours of privacy with his buddy Putin

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I would be surprised if Russian bots try and claim the original, full video is a deepfake bow and Trumpets swallow it.

Oh, I "misspoke", I meant "wouldn't".

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
LoneSeriousCaracal-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Assuming you get a new president, pardoning Trump would be treasonous.
1. You are assuming that President Trump would or should no longer be president due to something other than the end of his term.

2. We still do not know who is behind this cut, only that it a cut was made; anything else at this stage is speculation and not objective fact.

3. Assuming President Trump did do something that would be pardonable by a new President, how would said actions pardoning be treasonous?

Yeah, I know feelings are high and strong, frankly with good and valid reasons, but we need to put logic first and ask the right questions first. Questions such as who is behind this and why?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
2. We still do not know who is behind this cut, only that it a cut was made; anything else at this stage is speculation and not objective fact.

This doesn't matter at all. If I remember right, the Act everyone is quoting makes it very clear that he is held personally responsible for the preservation of his public record.
He can't just fucking throw the responsibility onto the intern who he ordered to make the cut.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody get to the point where they just want to bury their head in the sand and tune out Trump and US politics in general? I am fast approaching a 'cant do this anymore' wall.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if when the President, a Cabinet member or a member of Congress broke the law, they'd actually always be charged and prosecuted, like everyone else would be. Think how differently they'd behave. How much better society would be. If there was some independent commission with the power to investigate and prosecute rather than a partisan Congress abandoning its duty. If the only consideration their public office gave them was to hold them to a higher standard.

You know, the total opposite situation to what we have now.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't matter at all. If I remember right, the Act everyone is quoting makes it very clear that he is held personally responsible for the preservation of his public record.
He can't just fucking throw the responsibility onto the intern who he ordered to make the cut.
Those who voted for him are prone to make a lot of mental gymnastics to justify it lol.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
let me guess, no White House Press Conf. this week?
And if there is... the press will only ask about the released Tape on CNN (And Sarah will say: you have to ask the president's outside counsel ALL THE TIME)/Putin coming to Washington/maybe a question regarding revoking access to security clearances, but she can't get into it.

Useless.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
There was a time when everyone was convinced that 1984 had it wrong. That Brave New World got it right.

Trump continues to defy expectations.
It's really both. People are too distracted by stupid shit to care what is going on in thier own country. Voting is a popularity contest that less than half of the US participate in.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I know feelings are high and strong, frankly with good and valid reasons, but we need to put logic first and ask the right questions first. Questions such as who is behind this and why?

People are being logical, and asking the right questions - your statement amounts to nothing but distraction and deflection.

Calling you out on this.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Fuck the entire white house. Complicit as fuck.

Try them and string them up, they deserve it.

EDIT: Since trial might not work, maybe it's time to actually take this to general strike level.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
People are being logical, and asking the right questions - your statement amounts to nothing but distraction and deflection.

Calling you out on this.

Yup, just so that we can be perfectly clear here....

Here is snippet from what the Presidential Library has to say about this:

• Places the responsibility for the custody and management of incumbent Presidential records with the President.

There really is no ambiguity here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Some people on Reddit have been diligently digging -

"UPDATE: Here is MSNBC's video: (video podcasts)

http://msnbcpod.vo.llnwd.net/l1/video/podcast/pdv_maddow_netcast_mov-07-24-2018-220917.mov

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/msnbc-rachel-maddow-video/id294055448?mt=2 "

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/c..._house_edits_putin_support_for_trump/e2zwsov/

Well worth downloading the above in case they disappear.

"From a comment I found elsewhere:

The RT video has the whole question (albeit faint), and the translation of the answer is slightly different, which is also interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqigwlTccO0&feature=youtu.be&t=1h42m20s

The Guardian video appears to have the same audio as the CNN and White house's videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp69_X3Df3g&feature=youtu.be&t=1h33m10s

CBS's video has the whole question. but hard to hear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaymlbmVwbc&feature=youtu.be&t=51m24s

I'm still trying to find the MSNBC's youtube's version."

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/c..._house_edits_putin_support_for_trump/e2zwaqu/

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Srsly how is this even a thing. You actually elected a house and congress of criminals and a president too. Well done. Everyday I read something new that just blows my mind.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How do these people think they'll get away with hiding stuff in the INTERNET in 2018? That's literally impossible. Someone will find out, always.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This is like a really stupid version of 1984 where the government thinks it can change history but doesn't realize we can actually question it (well not his followers but the rest of us that are sane)

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
It's gonna be brought up sooner or later, but Obama's State department has done something similar before.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/02/state-department-video-iran/

Although in this case the transcripts still contained the conversation, but the video portion was edited out. They called it a 'glitched' for a month before fessing up.
Well , as you note, there are key differences. Although if one wishes to use more extreme forms of reductionism, I suppose equivocations can be found about almost anything.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is like a really stupid version of 1984 where the government thinks it can change history but doesn't realize we can actually question it (well not his followers but the rest of us that are sane)

Only because we still have a free press, open internet, and independent social media.

You only need to knock down one or two of those to start warping "truth" beyond what the WH does on a regular basis. Now is not the time to celebrate our few remaining safeguards from full blown fascism, we're seriously only a few tip toes away from Turkey or Russia because of the apathy or abject nationalism of a large portion of the population.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when everyone was convinced that 1984 had it wrong. That Brave New World got it right.

Trump continues to defy expectations.

I was about to post about this because a Final Jeopardy question made me remember then read about BNW. The critics seemed to think 1984 was overly simplistic and Huxley had really got something. Our dystopian future will continue to be a mix of both, though.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the office of President has grown too powerful and needs to be reined in a lot. It's one thing with policy, but no branch has the power or independent enough to stop manipulating information or abuse of reality.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congress really needs to step in and exercise its oversight func.....hahahaha I can't finish with a straight face.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably just a coincidence that they removed the part about Putin saying he wanted Trump to win, on the same day that Trump announced that Russia is going to meddle in the elections to help Democrats.

Gotta get everybody on the same page for the latest blatant disinformation campaign!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to post about this because a Final Jeopardy question made me remember then read about BNW. The critics seemed to think 1984 was overly simplistic and Huxley had really got something. Our dystopian future will continue to be a mix of both, though.
Ultimately it will just be The Time Machine.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How do these people think they'll get away with hiding stuff in the INTERNET in 2018? That's literally impossible. Someone will find out, always.

They're not trying to uphold truth. They're trying to cast doubt. Even when it's blatant like this it throws doubt into the pool of the gullible. Once people start doubting, they stop believing in truth because now everything comes into question. It's information warfare.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
From "Stupid Watergate" to "Stupid 1984." It's like they don't understand that the gov't does not have the only copy of the original.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still waiting for the Washington Post and NY Times to run with this and put it on their front pages online .......... disappointed so far.