• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
What are its origins(I can't watch the video at the mo)? It's been fairly common in my part of northern England for decades but purely because we we cut the end off a word at every opportunity, like if we see a dodgy/shifty bloke and say they're a bit sus/suspicious ect.

Also we need a posi thread on slang alongside this one. Slang can be the best. I absolutely love all the slang that's (mostly) specific to my own small hometown.

Sus has been used for multiple decades in my region (West Mids) and it has always been a way to say someone is basically a closeted gay. Usually accompanied with various other homophobia slurs too. It's always been a shitty term, and its recent resurgence didn't really change that

Oct 27, 2017
Note: There's nothing you can do to fix this beyond merely recognizing that this is the case. But the consequences of this power differential are always going to be a reality so long as we live in a world that inherently rests upon the continued domination of African peoples.

This was super helpful and just sat down with them speaking exactly this.

It's odd the feeling from my perspective that it seems more like uniformity and acceptance but I also recognize that as a microaggression and handwaving the issue. Going back to my example of pow wows, it could be seen as something that maybe wouldn't be a necessity as a way of life if the atrocities weren't committed and Indigenous culture wasn't some rare commodity used for hippy and spiritual fashion and vibes. I'm glad I asked and appreciate the feedback and understand more than I did beforehand.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Some of this shit ain't even "Gen Z" in terms of the age of people using it! Like tea!

"What's tea?" I grew up hearing my AUNTIES say that!
because before the internet, people that wouldn't use the slang wouldn't even know it existed. you had to be part of the culture, IN PERSON, to hear people talking about it like that.
now, he internet made slang that is decade's old new and fresh for other people to discover. and usually, those people are teens.

Oct 26, 2017
I think your average English speaking person can actually understand terms that originate from AAVE because it is so clearly related to "regular" English, so people don't immediately know where the terms come from, so if they encounter it from non-black speakers, it sounds like a cool turn of phrase that people can easily adopt (if sometimes incorrectly) and don't know how to attribute even if they knew.

Taking the "respect" for Japanese that has been brought up, I think the impression comes from the fact that anime fans using Japanese (often incorrectly as well) can't be understood by anyone except each other for the most part (not to mention Japanese people generally, not Americans with Japanese heritage, are usually pretty pleased when something gets adopted).

I don't think there's much respect going on in general, just what can easily be understood and adopted by the population at large, is. As far as using things correctly, that ship has sailed forever ago even for "non-black" English phrases. Like, as nonsensical as something like I could care less might be, that's what a lot of people say.

I'm more curious about how non-black people should be attributing new slang that enters the language.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
mcdonalds_id_hit_it_ad-jpg.jpeg

that man fucks cheeseburgers

Please tell me this is real, lol.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How am I trolling? I'm biracial, I get shit from both sides on how I should talk or act. I have been told not to use slang as im not "black enough", im lighter skinned so apparently i just don't get to use AAVE slang even though I grew up around it my whole life? To certain people I dont count as black and others i dont count as white. I find it frustrating that just how I talk can tick people off because I dont look dark or light enough.

A discussion about phrases getting diluted from being misused and your first response was to say as a biracial dude you have a 50% chance of doing so. Kind of hard to take that at face value.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Y'all ever see fifteen white people and two very uncomfortable black people yell out "WAKANDA FOREVER" on an office sales floor, to "pump everyone up to sell sell sell!"?

I did and I wish I hadn't. And it happened daily for months.

Please tell me this is real, lol.

It was real.

Why does this man wish to fuck that cheeseburger

Apparently that was the one that made them back out of the campaign and say they didn't fully understand.

Jun 10, 2018
It's not so much the using AAVE that bothers me. Black culture is lit, of course folks want a piece.

It's the absorbing AAVE while simultaneously denigrating and devaluing the culture it comes from, that bothers me.

Because how are you talking Black
Singing Black
Making Black music
Dressing Black
Acting Black
Marching Black
...while being anti-Black?

Black culture IS culture. And so many people don't get that. You don't see Black people particularly Black Americans in this instance as even having culture - and so the things that we make, the language that we speak, the music that we make, they aren't seen as cultural artifacts worth respecting or valuing or crediting. Just products...for you to take, and consume, and misuse, then discard.
This is especially frustrating coming from non-American black folk who will use AAVE and other aspects of black American culture while simultaneously saying we "don't have one".

Certain Africans and Caribbean black folk will literally say this without a hint of self-awareness.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
While "this is what happens with language over time and it's kind of unavoidable" is certainly true, it's also somewhat of a copout here because, as Nep has laid out well, there is a specific way that this happens with Black lexicon and how it's "adopted."

The first two pages of this thread are a shining example. A whole laundry list of terms that originated as AAVE, several of which having been around for longer than Slayven's been alive, and people not only didn't know of their AAVE origins, they attributed them to kids. White kids.

At a certain point only "intentional" makes sense.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Can't say I can relate to that since if anyone heard me speak they'd hear a French accent I can't get rid of.
I'm also supremely lazy so while I try to use correct english forms my vocab will tend to veer toward sophisticated English because in a lot of cases you can just use a French turn of phrase to sound fancy in English.
So yeah you're probably never going to catch me dead using slang because the only slang I use is in French.
And huh....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PXzsAOWeo

Interestingly the process by which the mainstream is stealing slang from AAVE is also what happens in French slang where it's 1st decried as "not real language that poor people use" then because it's cooler than whatever the fuck sophisticated people use then it gets adopted in the mainstream.
Can't say if there's a similar sense of loss from the community it originates from though.
Also if I see woke use by someone in French, it tells me that either that person is making fun of the antiwokists or has no idea whatever the fuck he's talking about.
Like to a degree that an English speaker would never get.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
While "this is what happens with language over time and it's kind of unavoidable" is certainly true, it's also somewhat of a copout here because, as Nep has laid out well, there is a specific way that this happens with Black lexicon and how it's "adopted."

The first two pages of this thread are a shining example. A whole laundry list of terms that originated as AAVE, several of which having been around for longer than Slayven's been alive, and people not only didn't know of their AAVE origins, they attributed them to kids. White kids.

At a certain point only "intentional" makes sense.

I mean this was apparent way back in the jazz era. Even the term "jazz" is a complete white-adopted corruption of its original intent and delivery.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Y'all ever see fifteen white people and two very uncomfortable black people yell out "WAKANDA FOREVER" on an office sales floor, to "pump everyone up to sell sell sell!"?

long live WFH policies!
I would have died from 2ndhand embarrassment

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think your average English speaking person can actually understand terms that originate from AAVE because it is so clearly related to "regular" English, so people don't immediately know where the terms come from, so if they encounter it from non-black speakers, it sounds like a cool turn of phrase that people can easily adopt (if sometimes incorrectly) and don't know how to attribute even if they knew.

Taking the "respect" for Japanese that has been brought up, I think the impression comes from the fact that anime fans using Japanese (often incorrectly as well) can't be understood by anyone except each other for the most part (not to mention Japanese people generally, not Americans with Japanese heritage, are usually pretty pleased when something gets adopted).

I don't think there's much respect going on in general, just what can easily be understood and adopted by the population at large, is. As far as using things correctly, that ship has sailed forever ago even for "non-black" English phrases. Like, as nonsensical as something like I could care less might be, that's what a lot of people say.

I'm more curious about how non-black people should be attributing new slang that enters the language.
There's this, but there's also the lingering weeb factor. Anime is well within the mainstream at this point, but people who are a little too into anime are still considered a bit cringe. Sprinkling slang appropriated from anime crosses that line socially.

That's not to say that anime-acquired words haven't entered the language, but their use as slang hasn't.

That said, Doja Cat totally cribbed the term "demon lord" from anime.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I don't really know if it's a white thing necessarily. I'm from South Side Jamaica Queens - the white people here used slang effortlessly and I never batted my eyes twice at them. It's just how people talked.

I think it's more an authenticity thing?

Its authenticity; that said not many grew up truly in that environment but adjacent, shouts to Akwafina. It's a hit dog stipulation, no one is going to argue with like El-P over his use of slang but 99% of white kids using the slang did not grow up in environments that El-P did.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Woof! too much church going on here!

This just gives me flashbacks to middle and high school when white friends and acquaintances would like to try their new learned words on us just to get some raised eye-brows and side-eye.

Basically…I guess it just comes with the territory; anything we create will repackaged for the world to use then act like they just created out of thin air.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I work in software and I remember years ago a white executive would say "Fo shizzle my n….." and "off the heezy!" at meetings with some of the younger employees. He really thought he was cool and relatable talking like that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

It's not the use of Japanese words by weebs that is considered respectful in the comparison. It's the fact that white people at least nominally recognize Japanese as a language that should be taken more seriously than weebs give it credit for. It's something you should seriously sit down, study, and immerse yourself in outside of the context of cartoons. AAVE does not have this level is distinction in the populous at large. If it's not considered an ignorant way to speak, it is fully divorced from its roots entirely and attributed to something else like those darn Gen Z white kids.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The internet makes it very difficult to determine the origin of slang terms short of actively looking it up. Stuff just shows up in memes and whatnot with no context

Yeah most people aren't aware of the origins of a lot of things let alone fairly "new" (in terms of popularity) slang terms.

The thing is the internet just drives shit into the ground. I will see let them cook for the first time or something and within what seems like two weeks every thread is something something let them cook. Until people move on to the next thing to use over and over again.

If you give white people stuff they are likely going to ruin it. Scribble another tally.

lurking

Mar 30, 2022
In this thread about misuse and appropriation of regional African American vernacular, do you think UK regional slang has any bearing on the topic?
Why not? African American culture, or American culture full stop, travels the globe. We inherit much of the slang posted in the video and it's doubly cringey when it reaches our shores.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the use of Japanese words by weebs that is considered respectful in the comparison. It's the fact that white people at least nominally recognize Japanese as a language that should be taken more seriously than weebs give it credit for. It's something you should seriously sit down, study, and immerse yourself in outside of the context of cartoons. AAVE does not have this level is distinction in the populous at large. If it's not considered an ignorant way to speak, it is fully divorced from its roots entirely and attributed to something else like those darn Gen Z white kids.
I don't think it matters outside of a snide laugh when weebs use Japanese words. I'm painfully aware most aren't actually interested in learning anything besides what they learn by "osmosis."

But when weebs use a Japanese word, almost no one outside of Japan or folks with Japanese heritage know wtf they're talking about (and even they don't know half the time). That "respect" you're talking about is just forced acknowledgement that the words can't be put in any other context than as a foreign language by the average standard English-only speaker.

A non-black person uses a word taken from AAVE and... most people at least feel like they get it, right or wrong. It's not totally divorced from "standard" English and so the average person feels like they can use it themselves and may not recognize its origins.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? African American culture, or American culture full stop, travels the globe. We inherit much of the slang posted in the video and it's doubly cringey when it reaches our shores.

I mean it to say the etymological intent of regional slang, and whatever connotations affixed to them, can be fully divorced from other uses and meanings. Especially those international.

Just so happens in this case they are closely tangential.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I cringed so hard I literally got called out by my boss. He was like "you know their manager could see your stink face right? Cut that shit out".

You see, they were also doing the arm crossing.
I would have sued for murder attempt, clearly they were trying to kill you specifically.
I'm not even a native speaker and the anecdote alone hurt me!
YOU were called out and not the bozos trying their Halloween costumes for work?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

oh god I need more context for this

like...did you work at disney, and what you were trying to sell sell sell was black panther merch? i'm guessing not!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters outside of a snide laugh when weebs use Japanese words. I'm painfully aware most aren't actually interested in learning anything besides what they learn by "osmosis."

But when weebs use a Japanese word, almost no one outside of Japan or folks with Japanese heritage know wtf they're talking about (and even they don't know half the time). That "respect" you're talking about is just forced acknowledgement that the words can't be put in any other context than as a foreign language by the average standard English-only speaker.

A non-black person uses a word taken from AAVE and... most people at least feel like they get it, right or wrong. It's not totally divorced from "standard" English and so the average person feels like they can use it themselves and may not recognize its origins.
I recognize the analogy isn't 1:1, but at the same time English is also filled with a bunch of loanwords from Spanish, French, German, and even Japan. No one is going to balk at "karaoke," for example, even if we butcher the pronunciation. But even then it's understood that it is a Japanese word, and no one has a problem with saying that. Japanese speakers are free to use the word in a way that Black people are not allowed to use much of AAVE without judgement. When it comes from our mouths, it's "ghetto" and "uneducated." It only is given respect when it has been assimilated, and thus destroyed, by white people.

But yes, the use of AAVE might not be as divorced from English as Japanese is linguistically, but that isn't really the realm of where I was trying to rest the analogy. It's the reaction to when someone is chided for using AAVE in an incorrect or cringy way that is the key difference. The reaction is usually one of defensiveness, because as you said people feel like they can use it for themselves. But the thing is they never asked; it was only assumed they could. And they assume because they don't feel as if Black people can own their own culture the way other groups can, so the outflow of our culture into wider white American culture at large is like a burst pipe.

And sure, the immediate rebuttal to this is the matter of etymological ignorance. People don't mean to take from Black people; the words just randomly showed up in their lives one day and they sounded nifty, so they adopted them. It wasn't malicious. But I would then go on to say that naivete is not an excuse, especially when people are likely to be sore learners about the subject. What I mean by a sore learner is that the prospect of learning can absolutely be a veil for subconscious maliciousness. Like, if you were to ask a quantum physicist to explain something to you, it's likely because you understand yours and their relationship to the subject at hand is wildly uneven. You know fuck all about quantum mechanics, and they at least know something. So you defer to them as an authority. You don't fight their answers and tell them they're wrong, unless your intention the entire time with even asking the question was to ultimately undermine and challenge their expertise.

Black people get fought in matters of Blackness all the fucking time because non-Black people have never actually had to entertain the idea of Black intellect, expertise, and ownership, so you get this combative-ass shit all the time whenever these kinds of subjects come up. "You can't redefine the word racism." "Actually, Vikings wore dreadlocks too." "Uhm, that's a double negative." "This is just how culture works." It's an exercise in futility. But the likelihood of a white person trying to actually school a Japanese person on Japanese culture is lower. Like, sure; online where we're all anonymous until we aren't, some cocky weeb might try to spout some nonsense with their whole chest, but they would at least be more willing to shut the fuck up if the person they were talking to revealed their identity as a Japanese person who had lived in Japan for some time. Suddenly, there is some authority regained and the context between the speakers has shifted to that of a novice and master relationship. The Japanese person is now an expert, because Japanese culture is, in itself, a legitimate culture that needs to be experienced to be understood. Black American culture is not held in this regard. It is taken without acknowledgement or respect, and fuck you for trying to reclaim any of it. What are you, a segregationist?

Indeed, it's the idea that Black folks have any sort of authority over others regarding matters of our culture that pisses people the fuck off. It's why you see so much hemming and hawwing about the n-word that you don't with any other slur. "Why can they say it when we can't?" The fact that Black people can do something with less impunity than others can is just against the fucking natural order of things. Because we don't own anything. We don't own our land. We don't own our looks. We don't own our music and dances. We don't own our words. We are not to be respected. That is the order of things, based in the literal material reality of how the world even runs in the first place.

Ultimately, white people will never defer to Black people on issues of Black culture in the way that they would defer to Japanese people about Japanese culture. I'm not arguing that they consider Japanese people as equals, or that they genuinely respect Japanese people. I'm arguing that there's definitely a difference in how these things are seen. White people acknowledge that Japan has a culture. White people don't even know the African continent has fucking skyscrapers, much less millenias-old civilizations and cultures that still exist today.

Bengraven