• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who do you think is the most recognizable female video game character invented this century?

• 2B

Votes: 658 39.7%
  • Aloy

Votes: 463 27.9%
  • Cynthia

Votes: 31 1.9%
  • Saber

Votes: 86 5.2%
  • Paimon

Votes: 91 5.5%
  • Chun-Li from Fortnite

Votes: 330 19.9%

• Total voters

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree on both counts. Ellie's TV show recognition wouldn't translate to people recognising either of her videogame forms, and Rosalina looks so incredibly similar to Peach that she'd just be mistakenly identified as her instead.

Just show a picture of Ellie in her sunset shirt and I think most people who've seen the show will recognize her. And around this time next year she'll be even more recognizable, in large part because of this

View: https://twitter.com/isabellebellele/status/1778549113853796420

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Subway Surfers is the most downloaded game of all time. Who's the main character?

Popularity does not equal recognisable characters.
Paimon's a 2 foot tall, flying, glutinous loot goblin. She has hundreds of hours of cutscenes and voice acting in the game, serving essentially as the MC's voice. And again, this is a game that's had maybe a quarter billion players?

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently era thinks only people in North America, japan and Europe exist or worth counting as people.

Nm6k2001

Oct 28, 2023
I saw artwork of Saber in music videos long before I found out about the fate series so if that counts then Saber I guess

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
No everyone, just whoever made the poll

brb going to the hollywood screening of the latest movie adaptation of whatever the character "cynthia" is in

real century-topping recognizability character deserving of this kind of question
It looks like the last movie Cynthia was in was Pokemon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions, back in 2010/2011. She was also in the previous Pokemon movie, Arceus and the Jewel of Life.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I can't pick, but I don't think it's one of the options in the poll. For me, a western-focused gamer who watches TV shows, my bet might be Ellie.

I had to look up who 2B is, but that could just be my own ignorance. I'm familiar with Neir Automata because of this site, but I have a hard time putting 2B over Alyx Vance, or even supporting female characters from much more popular games like Abigail Marston from RDR1/2, Amanda or Tracey from GTAV, or Kendl Johnson or Catalina from GTAIII & San andreas, or Candy Suxx from GTA:VC. Not that I think Abigail or Amanda or Catalina are super recognizeable, but GTAV has sold like 180million copies or something, so I have a hard time thinking that a game that's sold like 4% of GTAV's sales and market presence has a more recognizeable character.

Pushing back on "GTAV poster girl" because she's not a character. She doesn't appear as a character in the game, has no name, is not an NPC or anything, just a loading screen art work. Likewise I don't think "Female Mii" from Nintendo is a character, nor the models from Fortnite (unless there are new Fortnite characters). I also don't think "Chun Li from Fortnite" is fair if we're excluding Lara Croft from the 2013+ reboot. Chun Li came out in 1992 or w/e, and that's why she's in Fortnite (unless this is an identically named new character)

Of the major ones in the thread I'd go Ellie or the Animal Crossing charater (dunno her name, I haven't played the game).

Are there characters in The Sims, or are they all mostly just models/avatars, that you use for your own characters? I'm trying to think of super popular games with mega crossovver appeal, and the Sims is one of the most popular series of the last 25 years, but I don't know if they're truly introduced new characters or whether they're just avatars for other player-made characters.

Any female characters in Five Nights at Freddy's, or any other 21st videogame that's become a cultural phenomenon with kids, Hello Neighbor, etc? What about the woman from the Witcher 2 and 3?

Oh, wait, what about Cortana from Halo? Halo is one of the best selling series of the last 25 years, first one came out in 2001, and Cortana is a major character in at least 3 or 4 of the games... She;s pretty recognizeable enough that Microsoft named their AI assistant after her.

HJMBnH.png

Tens of millions of Halo games have been sold, and there's a TV show with her in it, and the Microsoft voice assistant is named after her. Seems like a good honorable mention.

Most of the games I play and love with major female characters, Control, Alan Wake 2, Dishonored, etc, probably just aren't big enough games to have their main character be recognizeable broadly.

Sure enough, the Sims is from this century

Bella Goth, 100%.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jinx or Ahri from League of Legends probably beat 2B, Aloy and Cynthia easily. The size of League of Legends can't be overstated, and it's a truly international game unlike something like Horizon. I think the rest of the list probably gives them a good run for their money, though. I don't know enough about Saber to make a call either way, but Paimon is huge even if I personally dislike Genshin. I think it's weird to have Chun-Li on the list at all though I suppose from the context it may be a joke? But there are some big characters totally overlooked in favor of characters with relatively small franchises by comparison.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Why do people keep saying people are out of touch when they see 2B winning and then proceed to name their favorite characters that happen to not be in the poll? How are people supposed to vote for these other characters if they're not in the poll and there's no "other" option either.

Some posts come across as seething that their favorite characters are not included/mentioned.
Seething?

I think the poll is just bad. There's nothing wrong with people commenting on the poor selection of choices available, especially since there is not "other" option

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Paimon's a 2 foot tall, flying, glutinous loot goblin. She has hundreds of hours of cutscenes and voice acting in the game, serving essentially as the MC's voice. And again, this is a game that's had maybe a quarter billion players?
I'd probably double that. Genshin has 140+ million downloads on mobile without China, + an unknown amount of PS + PC downloads + all of China where it's even more popular. I feel like 500+ million is not an unreasonable assumption.
I dunno if she'd win against some of the choices brought up that aren't on the poll, but among the poll options she's probably a clear winner. That she's that low instead is pretty amusing.

Apr 9, 2018
Several people in here have mentioned her before you, and before you now posted a picture of her, I had to look her up.
So, I am not so sure if the character is that recognizable, and if "it aint even a competition". ;)
I've heard of and seen all of the characters mentioned in the OP though.
Spend more time around the younglings, majority of kids in the western world between the ages of 4 and 15 will know Alex. It's a game with 300 million copies sold, huge amounts of merchandise, and the only game many of that generation would have played.

In my real life, I'd say 1-2% of the people I know would recognise any of the options in that poll, and even then it's only be Aloy and 2B

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Just show a picture of Ellie in her sunset shirt and I think most people who've seen the show will recognize her. And around this time next year she'll be even more recognizable, in large part because of this

View: https://twitter.com/isabellebellele/status/1778549113853796420

Just tested this on a friend who has watch the full season of TLOU but doesn't play games. She had no clue who game Ellie was supposed to be, and remarked how she looks nothing like the actress that plays her when informed.

I think you're overestimating how recognisable certain aspects of a character are to those that aren't fans looking for the references. Ellie's design is super generic, and that extends to the clothes she wears. There's nothing iconic about a sunset t-shirt to cause people that see it in passing when watching a TV show to take note of it. Similarly I've watched all 4 seasons of Stranger Things, but I can't tell you any of the clothing worn by the main cast.

Hell, I didn't even recognise Ellie's tattoo, and I've seen countless images of TLOU2 Ellie. I only gathered what it due to the context on the post. It looks like any other random tattoo. These kinds of minute details are the sorts of things that core fans of a game and character may see as iconic, but it's visual background noise to most people.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I knew more gamers. I don't know a single human who plays Genshin Impact or really knows what it is. No one would be able to tell me what a Paimon is. They'd assume it's a Digimon.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I wish I knew more gamers. I don't know a single human who plays Genshin Impact or really knows what it is. No one would be able to tell me what a Paimon is. They'd assume it's a Digimon.

Just this past weekend me and the family went to a Genshin/Honkai event, and let me tell you cons about specific games or series outside of retro stuff are rare here.

They are really popular.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Thinking about it, Lucia is probably more iconic than half the picks in the poll.