Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
My friend is going through a rough as fuck divorce because his wife went insane after she lost her job. She's been incredibly emotionally abusive. She was perfectly fine for the last 20+ years they were married. Get a pre-nup, you never know if that person you marry is going to be the same person later in life. Sometimes people just snap.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I saw my parents have a messy divorce due to financials so I'm pretty down to get a pre or post nup. I'm also gonna ask for an infidelity clause. I'm risk averse and have low trust in people.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Iirc Pre-Nups tend to get thrown out because what most people think of as "protecting their assets" turns out to be the equivalent of an agreement made in bad faith.

Courts don't screw people over in the way many think. People will try to screw people over, sure, but a prenup doesn't protect against that.

Courts in most states don't give either party a choice or input with regards to alimony or child support (especially as a portion of what is collected goes to the state), so a prenup doesn't protect that either.

When a court splits up assets it does so to keep one party from being destitute because they chose to be a stay at home parent or never had their name put on any assets. It also prevents either party from escaping joint debt just because they didn't sign fir it either.

Far more important than making a prenup that won't likely stand up in court in 5 years, the depth of the legal implications of marriage should be discussed. Too many people think too lightly of marriage's legal aspects.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This is so naive that it hurts. It's cliche but things change, people change.

People can change and be shitty, seemingly out of the blue.

I don't disagree with either of you here, so I really don't think I'm being naive. I guess I just don't see my wife changing (or even being awful at some point in our marriage) as grounds for divorce. That's probably a different discussion altogether, though.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
My friend is going through a rough as fuck divorce because his wife went insane after she lost her job. She's been incredibly emotionally abusive. She was perfectly fine for the last 20+ years they were married. Get a pre-nup, you never know if that person you marry is going to be the same person later in life. Sometimes people just snap.
nuh uh I actually LOVE and TRUST my spouse and they would NEVER do that
there are ALWAYS signs people will go crazy in 2 decades and if they had looked for them your friend would have NEVER married them
what a sucker getting married KNOWING it was going to fail from the get go (from the OBVIOUS signs that a potential marriage will fail 20 years later from now) and he didnt even get a prenup for this foretold disaster of a marriage?

these fools out here not doing due diligence marrying future crazy people, meanwhile I could NEVER mistake the amber warning lights and red flags for sunshine and roses
not me
no siree

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
no, its protecting yourself. People change, and when people get hurt or want to hurt you, they can become very vengeful and spiteful. How many times have you seen or heard someone getting a divorce be like "i didnt even want/like X but i wanted to get it in the divorce just so he/she wouldn't get it"

see above.

there's trusting someone and also looking out for yourself.

a pre-nup doesnt cost that much and it just needs to be notarized, which most banks will do for you for free.

It does cost that much. $1000-5000 were the lawyers I quoted and I don't have that much money and I don't even own that much stuff other than video games my partner doesn't give a shit about.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
google, how does it work https://legaltemplates.net/form/prenuptial-agreement/
you don't *need* a lawyer, it just needs to be spelled out clearly and then agreed to by both parties and notarized.

That's good to know. When I was googling I didn't find any free solutions. Also it doesn't make a difference in my case--we already know whose stuff is whose and it's worth very little. Any wealth we build at this point should be shared, and it's all we will have.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely write one if I ever got married. Here in Sweden the law is that when you get divorced you get half of everything, no matter how much of it you personally owned before the marriage. I don't believe in 100% shared economy. But maybe I'll change my mind if I ever meet someone I love more than myself. Which, to be honest, I don't think I ever have, as bad as that sounds.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's good to know. When I was googling I didn't find any free solutions. Also it doesn't make a difference in my case--we already know whose stuff is whose and it's worth very little. Any wealth we build at this point should be shared, and it's all we will have.
If in the future your marriage blows up do you think the both of you would be civil enough to agree on everything and it not cost a ton in lawyers' fees? There's a reason divorce lawyers don't drive beat up cars and live in cardboard boxes.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and what part off that would your spouse generally not deserve? People should do as they please but if you're planning on marrying someone who isn't your financial partner you've got a potential problem day one.

Ideally, a pre-nup is designed to protect both parties from an ugly divorce by simply clarifying the precise outcome rather than leaving it up to lawyers with a vested interest in getting the most for their clients. Neither side has to win and it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a fairly even split.

I am EXTREMELY interested in seeing what part of the assets acquired during marriage you think each spouse is entitled to. I'm guessing you're not thinking 50/50...

Yikes - see above.

I think this has been covered. That was being used as a reason people didn't feel a pre-nup was needed before they got married. Some also believe it's fair for some of the assets acquired during the marriage to be shared in the event of a divorce, and one spouse relies on the other for financial support while primarily providing care for children.

I see - thanks for clarifying. Of course kids should be supported, and fairness will vary in every separation. I just think there's a bit of naiveté on display from the "Why get married if you think it might fail?" crowd. I could be misinterpreting things.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
there are ALWAYS signs people will go crazy in 2 decades and if they had looked for them your friend would have NEVER married them
what a sucker getting married KNOWING it was going to fail from the get go (from the OBVIOUS signs that a potential marriage will fail 20 years later from now) and he didnt even get a prenup for this foretold disaster of a marriage?

these fools out here not doing due diligence marrying future crazy people, meanwhile I could NEVER mistake the amber warning lights and red flags for sunshine and roses
not me
no siree

I want to say this is obvious sarcasm but I honestly can't tell on this site sometimes.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people wish they got a pre nup because they thought they trusted and loved the person lol.

Oct 31, 2017
Had next to nothing going in. All we have is after marriage. After sacrificing her body for 2 kids, she can take all she wants.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's because many, many marriages are between two people too young to own much.

"I keep the stereo and you keep your futon."

Was going to say exactly this. My wife and I didn't have shit before we got married and we were together seven years before tying the knot. Now we have a house and are building wealth together. So she's entitled to 50% if she ever decides she's done. Now if I bought my own house and car and had money put away then I damn well would get a pre-nup. As it is though most of us don't have a positive net worth when we get married.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Most people get married without a pre-nup. In only about 5% of divorces as there an existing pre-nup. Also, a bunch of pre-nups aren't worth the paper they're written on. If the court decides your pre-nup is unreasonable or too lopsided, it will toss it out. This is particularly a danger of pre-nups involving kids, as Family Courts are more focused on the welfare of the children than the desires of either parent.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got married super young to my best friend? We had almost nothing and built up everything we had together. 11 years later I made the right choice.

I'd probably just live with and never marry someone if I didn't trust getting married to them without a prenup. Prenup kinda goes against my assumptions of what it means to get married.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a relationship with my SO for over 10 years before we got married.

Even if something insane happened and we had to get divorced, they're so good-natured that I don't believe the divorce would be a messy one. And if they somehow turned evil for it, boy they sure played the long con on me!

But I think I'm in a special case, I definitely would have gotten a pre-nup for someone that I wasn't in a relationship for too long with before getting married.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess for me some things you just can't insulate yourself from. Sure you can get a prenup but it's not a good start to a relationship. Love and long-term commitment is a risk, an acknowledgment of possible heartbreak and pain. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does it does. This is part of the risk. Quite honestly, my last 11 years of marriage are worth it. I'd die happy tomorrow if this was it.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The "people change and become awful" sentiment I'm reading in here in favor of pre-nups seems a hell of a lot less likely than "you were a bad judge of character/married someone too soon"

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
google, how does it work https://legaltemplates.net/form/prenuptial-agreement/
you don't *need* a lawyer, it just needs to be spelled out clearly and then agreed to by both parties and notarized.

Lol, bad advice and "agreements" like this are why lawyers have lasted a thousand years and we're assured our existence a thousand years more.

Should you use this, your future divorce lawyer warmly thanks you for helping him pay off his student loans.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-nups are bullshit.

If you don't like someone enough to risk losing half your shit don't marry them.

That's fine too.
If people blindly got married just because they liked someone then they're really an idiot for not getting a prenup. A prenup is practical at this point, and with the divorce rate the way it is currently a prenuptial isn't even bordering on cynical.

Oct 27, 2017
Never once considered a pre nup.

We both entered with little. I guess if one was super wealthy entering it might make sense, but I don't think it makes too much sense in most cases.

Also, needing a pre nup is not just admitting you think you might break up, it's also admitting you think your partner won't be a reasonable adult after the hypothetical fallout.

I think everything being "ours" works well for us.

If people blindly got married just because they liked someone then they're really an idiot for not getting a prenup. A prenup is practical at this point, and with the divorce rate the way it is currently a prenuptial isn't even bordering on cynical.
What is the divorce rate currently? I thought pretty low, and even lower if you lived together first, have been together 5 or more years, and not previously married. I would think less than 20%?

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

not me
no siree

Doing "due diligence" on a partner just sounds odd.

People can change, relationships break down when people are no longer happy with each other for numerous reasons.

Curious though what "there are ALWAYS signs people will go crazy in 2 decades and if they had looked for them your friend would have NEVER married them", you mean by that?

What are the signs that someone you love might result in a break-up if you commit to them? Genuinely curious, not being sarcastic.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Lol, bad advice and "agreements" like this are why lawyers have lasted a thousand years and we're assured our existence a thousand years more.

Should you use this, your future divorce lawyer warmly thanks you for helping him pay off his student loans.
my best friend who is a lawyer wrote ours for free. Its nothing you cant come up with yourself. But keep patting yourself on the back.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah but I disagree with all these "benefits". I mean in some countries your wife/husband gets free health care because they are insured over their partner. They don't pay any additional money though, how is that fair compared to ppl who don't marry but live together but have to pay on their own?

The only reason this even still applies nowadays is because ages ago your wife would stay at home and it made sense to have her insured because they will get kids one day etc blah blah...

Old superficial laws that should be changed for universal health care everyone gets even if they can't afford.
If you aren't married then you are living in sin

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and some see it as a good idea getting details like that sorted out while you love each other instead of later when you don't.

Exactly. People here are making it sound like it must be a hostile act instigated by one partner and not agreed on by both.

Because buying car insurance doesn't have the potential to make my car feel bad and increase the likelihood of an accident?

Is there some stat that prenups increase the likelihood of divorce that I've never heard of?

Also, needing a pre nup is not just admitting you think you might break up, it's also admitting you think your partner won't be a reasonable adult after the hypothetical fallout.

It's not admitting any of that. Some of us have simply witnessed decades long marriages crumble and cost people literally millions in legal fees and years in court (like my wife has seen), while others are children of divorced parents and know how fucking terrible it is to have to figure everything out once everything falls apart (like myself).

My wife also openly admitted that she would not be reasonable if we ever got divorced. Lol.

But seriously, there are a lot of presumptuous judgmental posts in this thread.

Also, as I typed this post, Watson on Elementary just said "divorces"...weird.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I'm aware of I guess what I'm saying is that marriage is a human relationship where you need to consider a persons feelings whereas you don't have to with a car.

Ah, the wording suggested you thought it would increase the chances since you said it would "increase the likelihood of an accident"

Falcs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's simple. If you're not 100% certain that you will NOT get devorced, then don't get married. Marriage is supposted to be for life.
I married my wife almost 8 years ago. Not for one second did I even consider getting a pre-nup. We intended to grow old together then, and we still do now. That's why we got married. Signing a pre-nup would have been pointless.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
I'm getting married without a prenup. I make more, a lot more than my fiancée who I'm supporting while she studies. I've bought all of the furniture and I pay 70-80% of our expenses. However I wouldn't be where I am today without her support and we couldn't own an apartment without her saved money that paid for the 15% downpayment needed for it. So even if I eventually becomes someone with a lot of money or belongings I wouldn't be there without her so I wouldn't mind her getting a share if we divorced.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
It depends on the people obviously but you don't have to strain hard to imagine a scenario where a prenup damages things.
Now that doesn't sound like a strong relationship. Rocky foundation you are building on if the idea of a prenup can be a tangible threat for success.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Now that doesn't sound like a strong relationship. Rocky foundation you are building on if the idea of a prenup can be a tangible threat for success.

Hmm personally I'd view a relationship that requires independent legal arbitration as the one that's rocky.

And to go back to the analogy, if my car is a shitbox accident waiting to happen insurance doesn't aggravate that.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so naive that it hurts. It's cliche but things change, people change.
This is why the divorce rate is so high these days.

If you're not willing to change with someone to make the marriage work, you shouldn't be getting married. Pre-nups shouldn't exist. Just don't get married if you're not ready to make that sort of commitment.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not admitting any of that. Some of us have simply witnessed decades long marriages crumble and cost people literally millions in legal fees and years in court (like my wife has seen), while others are children of divorced parents and know how fucking terrible it is to have to figure everything out once everything falls apart (like myself).

My wife also openly admitted that she would not be reasonable if we ever got divorced. Lol.

But seriously, there are a lot of presumptuous judgmental posts in this thread.

Also, as I typed this post, Watson on Elementary just said "divorces"...weird.

Sure it is. The divorces I've seen were amicable. The people involved acted like adults. No pre-nup necessary. To assume you'll go through something like that is to assume someone will act spiteful, vengeful, greedy, or unreasonable in some way (usually out of being hurt) etc...

Exactly as you say, your wife wouldn't be reasonable if you got divorced, so it makes sense for you to have one. Mine would be. You don't need to assume, you heard it straight from the wife's mouth lol!

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you OP, no one's getting half my Transformers.

But what about your beanie babies
58af7f412900002200bea8f8.jpeg

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
50% of people in this thread will get divorced. talking about if you're not 100% sure don't get married, if you go in with that mindset don't get married, we're definitely going to grow old together because we believe is completely naive. Please, you are all just as likely as all of us to get divorced. Half of you will get a divorce. A prenup is simply insurance on a coin flip. Don't act like you're any better at all.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda see it the opposite way. If you don't trust someone enough to not require a prenup, why on earth are you marrying them?

I think this means that I don't really believe in marriage.

This reasoning applied to anything else makes for Silly results.

I don't get car insurance because I believe in people.
I don't sign a work contract because I believe in my boss.
I don't sign a lease because I trust my landlord.

Oct 27, 2017
50% of people in this thread will get divorced. talking about if you're not 100% sure don't get married, if you go in with that mindset don't get married, we're definitely going to grow old together because we believe is completely naive. Please, you are all just as likely as all of us to get divorced. Half of you will get a divorce. A prenup is simply insurance on a coin flip. Don't act like you're any better at all.

Got a source?

I feel like people on their first marriage who lived together for years probably isnt 50/50, but I could be wrong.

And I don't view a pre nup as insurance. It's just an agreement, a contract. Anyone trying to get me to sign one would have to reeeeeally want to marry me, and I'd find out just how much lol.

And who said we thought we were better? People who get divorced aren't bad, or worse, and I haven't seen anyone say that itt.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Got a source?

I feel like people on their first marriage who lived together for years probably isnt 50/50, but I could be wrong.

And I don't view a pre nup as insurance. It's just an agreement, a contract. Anyone trying to get me to sign one would have to reeeeeally want to marry me, and I'd find out just how much lol.

It's a myth that half of all marriages end in divorce. People keep saying it, but it's just not true now.