sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I've started doing this for the last couple years. Main reason is to avoid fruit flies. I dont know if its just me but fruit flies never seem to be an issue for me in the past, or I just didnt notice them. But lately, bringing in any produce or fruit and leaving it out or throwing it in the trash can is almost guaranteed to give me an infestation.

Now part of my fridge is a food compost storage and that seems to have solved the fruit flies issue but am I the only one doing this?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had to do it when I lived in an apartment near some woods, as the trash bin outside was basically a giant neon sign for raccoons whenever any food trash was in it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you should get one of those $500 composting robots silicon valley thinks people can afford

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing this with banana peels for the past couple months to cut down on fruit flies... Honestly I thought I was the only one lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm a lazy ass dude but... I just throw it outside in the trash right away?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
We keep ours in a grocery bag in the freezer, I have my whole life. I grew up in the suburbs where we had to drive our refuse to the dump, so we'd typically wait until we had a bunch of bags full so some would be sitting around for a while. There's the trash and then there's the garbage, which is the frozen food stuffs lol. Still do it now because it's better than the kitchen trash can start to stink after a couple days, and yeah we're also just lazy and don't wanna run downstairs every time we cook.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I stick it in the freezer until I'm ready to take a trip down to the dumpster. My apartment stays incredibly hot 3/4 of the year so any food waste starts to stink very quickly.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Had to do it when I lived in an apartment near some woods, as the trash bin outside was basically a giant neon sign for raccoons whenever any food trash was in it.
Yea I lived by some heavy woods for awhile and this was an issue. We eventually just poured ammonia over our garbage for a month and they stopped messing with it.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
A good chunk of our freezer is dedicated to all the stuff bound for the compost bin

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Hitachi fridge that has a small compartment that's supposed to be for frozen meat, I keep a container in there for compost and then when its full I dump it in the community bin.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I try to time throwing away food waste with garbage pickup day, or at least top off the household trash with food waste before taking the trash to the garbage can outside

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Absolutely. We compost and it's so much easier to just keep the compost bag in the freezer where the scent is just fully eliminated. Highly recommend it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I do it for the exact same reason, fruit flies. We have a separate compartment in the freezer that we bag organic/food type waste and throw in and then empty that out when the regular garbage goes out. It's a good system.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Just be careful with storing moldy stuff in your fridge, someone once told me that the mold spores can get into the circulation and spread, or something like that.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I store food waste that can't go in my backyard (meat, bones, old cooking oils, "compostable" bags) in my freezer and then dump it in the city's compost bin when the freezer gets too full. It makes it very clean and prevents it from coating the bin in oil and nasty rotten meat.

I have a countertop bin for normal kitchen scraps which I probably should store in the fridge to keep flies away.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I've left containers in the fridge that eventually became food waste but never intentionally stored them there.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I just throw it directly outside, that is an interesting concept though.

Wouldn't the fridge smell?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've definitely put stuff in the freezer if I thought it would rot and stink in the garbage can. Just take it out and bin it on garbage day and you're golden.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Anything that gets stinky stays in the fridge until the night before the garbos come.

It's hot most of the year here and stuff starts to stink quick.