Who is the best member of Castelvania's Belmont Clan and why?

• Simon

Votes: 76 24.7%
  • Richter

Votes: 126 40.9%
  • Trevor

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Gabriel

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • Other (Specify who in post)

Votes: 52 16.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've recently become interested in the Castlevania series after the reveal of Simon and Richter in Smash and after playing a few of the games I'm really invested in the series. I'm also interested to see who people consider to be the 'best' member of the Belmont Clan and why they think so. I'll post a list of the playable Belmont's and their role in the series as a way for people to refresh their memories or even discover any Belmonts they may have missed out on. *CASTLEVANIA SERIES SPOILERS AHEAD*

Leon Belmont

latest

Playable in: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Leon Belmont is the founder of the clan's tradition of vampire hunting and also the first known wielder of the Vampire Killer in its complete form, although he did not defeat Dracula, as Dracula did not exist at that time. He was a knight once, but left his knighthood to pursue his betrothed's kidnappers, which led to the events of his so far one and only game.

Trevor Belmont
Playable in: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Castlevania: Judgement, Pachislot Akumajo I & II

Trevor is the first Belmont to have defeated Dracula and as such, has gained legendary status. Dracula had attacked Transylvania with his legions and no man could stand against him which forced the church to find a member of the Belmont clan. This led them to finding Trevor, who defeated hordes of Dracula's legions, found valuable allies on his way, and ultimately defeated Dracula himself.

Christopher Belmont
Playable in: Castlevania: The Adventure, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

A hundred years after Trevor Belmont's victory, Dracula would re-emerge, more powerful than ever, and haunt Transylvania again. However, Christopher Belmont stood ready to face the Count and defeated him in combat. Dracula feigned defeat, however, and waited 15 years to strike back, which he did when Christopher's son, Soleiyu Belmont was born. ‎He possessed Soleiyu after the boy turned 15 and forced Christopher to tread through five castles, face Soleiyu in combat and defeat Dracula again.

Simon Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania: Judgement, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Simon is possibly the most famous member of the clan. Even though it was rumoured that Dracula becomes stronger with each resurrection, Simon still went into the castle alone and fought his way through, eventually defeating the Count. He was badly wounded from the battle, however, and Dracula had cast a curse on Simon before his death. This curse did not allow the wound to be healed, and it was slowly killing him. It was not until 1698 that Simon discovered the way to cure this curse, which involved gathering Dracula's remains and burning them. However, after gathering them, a sixth body piece previously unknown to Simon caused the Count to revive. He defeated him and burned his remains, being freed from the curse, and was ultimately victorious, saving Transylvania once more.

Juste Belmont
Playable in: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Juste is the grandson of Simon Belmont. 50 years after his grandfather's victory, Dracula's castle appeared suddenly, with no prior attack or ceremony. Juste had to explore the castle and discover its secrets and finally found out that it was through his best friend Maxim that the castle had resurfaced, albeit without its true master. Juste finally fought to save Maxim and, in the end, battled a wraith born out of Maxim's feelings that took over the appearance of Dracula.

Richter Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Richter's town was attacked by Dracula's dark legions and rode toward the town on his carriage to save it. Unfortunately, he was too late as Dracula kidnapped his fiance, Annette and three other maidens from the village.‎ Richter made his way through many formidable creatures and obstacles, saving all four maidens and defeating Dracula, saving the world from darkness once more. Richter would later earn the reputation of being the most powerful vampire hunter at the time. He appears in Symphony of the Night but as a dark and twisted version of his former self, though there's more to his sudden change in character than meets the eye.

Julius Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castelvania: Harmony of Despair

Julius appeared sometime in the 20th century, the first full-blooded Belmont heir since Richter, and took up the whip to fight Dracula. Though he has never been the star of his own Castlevania game, Julius, along with some comrades, defeated Dracula once and for all in the year 1999, sealing his castle inside a solar eclipse that took place. Julius Belmont was also known as the strongest vampire hunter of his time.

Desmond Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania: Order of Shadows

A member of the Belmont active during the 17th century. His parents were killed by one of Dracula's followers. Together with his sisters, he infiltrates the mansion of a cult that wishes to revive Dracula. However, they were unable to stop the ritual in time and Desmond is forced to fight the Count. He is victorious and manages to escape the castle.

Sonia Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania: Legends

Sonia Belmont was born in a remote mountain village located in Transylvania. One night, when Sonia was 17 years old, she encountered a young man named Alucard who was searching for his father that he had never met. The two formed a bond together, However, the mansion where Sonia was raised was suddenly attacked by grotesque monsters serving Count Dracula resulting in her grandfather being mortally wounded. Sonia took her grandfather's whip as a memento in her hand, setting out to Dracula's Castle. She managed to defeat him and gave birth to a son, fathered by Alucard, soon after.

Gabriel Belmont

Playable in: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Gabriel was originally a member of the Brotherhood of Light, an elite group of holy knights who protected and defended the innocent against supernatural threats. After defeating the ultimate evil, losing everything he loved on his quest, and obtaining immense power from an ancient demon, he went down a dark path and started a war upon the world and the God he had once served.

So that's all the Belmont's I could think of that have been playable in the series. Which one is your favourite and why? My favourite is Richter because Rondo of Blood was the first Castelvania game I played and he comes across as a really powerful in that game. I also love his design and character lol. I'm looking forward to seeing who you guys pick as your favourite!

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Simon. Nostalgia. Richter is pretty bad ass. Especially his SOTN moveset. Guy could basically fly lol.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Julius is the only one to actually get the job done for good.
If Konami had continued the series that probably would not have been the case.

Their plan was to reveal that Dracula's castle was not sealed inside a solar eclipse, but accidentally sealed inside the trunk of a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Simon can randomly flail his whip for no apparent reason in SCIV. That should count for something.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Richter. Dude has some of the LEAST amount of powers to face what he took on compared to many of the others and the dude just tanks through it. Even Nathan in Circle fo the Moon had card magic at least. Richter just gon get by on slides, whips and a wicked kick. He's been in multiple scenarios and was called the strongest vampire hunter. Have someone kidnapped? Hold his beer. He's got this.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Probably Julius. I mean, I'm half-tempted to say Richter, but he was also weak-willed enough to have become lord of Castlevania in Symphony of the Night.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Julius kind of seems like the culmination of the Belmont family's skills so he got the job done. Couldn't vanguish the demonic spirit, but killed the actual individual known as Dracula Tepes for good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also interested in hearing which Belmont is your favourite, even if they're not the best or most efficient.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I believe canonically, every time Dracula resurrects he is stronger than the previous incarnation, and the Belmont warrior must also be stronger than the previous warrior.

I believe Julius is actually the strongest Belmont of them all, and the one who seals Dracula for good.

I think he is technically stronger than Soma, but loses the battle in Aria of Sorrow due to only recently regaining his memories (and being 20 years or so past his prime).

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Biased for Richter since I can beat SOTN in under 8 minutes with him lmao.

But Leon is cute, and Lament of Innocence is probably the only 3D Castlevania I like.

9e166f8547cc4317e0d239ba0decd4d2.jpg

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I'm just putting myself in Dracula's shoes and thinking who I'd most be wary of...

Definitely would not want to face Simon. That dude is fearless and had to kill Dracula twice (once while deathly ill)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
My vote would go to Simon. Ended up taking on Drac twice (one resurrection being caused by Simon himself), and kicked his ass alone.

I love Trevor, Richter and Julius, but they each canonically had help in their scenarios. Julius wouldn't have been able to do his deed without Drac's castle being sealed into the eclipse.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Richter. Dude has some of the LEAST amount of powers to face what he took on compared to many of the others and the dude just tanks through it. Even Nathan in Circle fo the Moon had card magic at least. Richter just gon get by on slides, whips and a wicked kick. He's been in multiple scenarios and was called the strongest vampire hunter. Have someone kidnapped? Hold his beer. He's got this.

Well, sometime would need to hold his beer when he himself was kidnapped.

Plus he had item crashes, more then a lot of Belmonts had

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna swerve you all by picking the grandpa Belmont, Christopher.

Star of Adventure, its remake/reimagining Adventure ReBirth, and their sequel Belmont's Revenge, on the surface it seems like he has a basic Castlevania experience: fight and kill Dracula. In the first part of his story, that's all there is, except Dracula escapes during the crumbling of the castle. Not dead, yet unable to be in his physical form, Dracula plans a plot years in the making, by using the body of Christopher's son, Soleiyu, to summon demons in four castles, and leading Christopher to fight them to harness their energy, allowing Dracula to be revived. One Castlevania has returned, Christopher goes in, has to beat up his corrupted son, and then actually kill Dracula in one of the hardest final boss fights in the entire series.

For reference, this means Christopher Belmont traversed through Castlevania twice, four additional castles, fought Dracula twice, and had to beat the shit out of his corrupted son who also has a fuckin' whip and subweapons. This man's a champ.

All hail Christopher.

Gt6UNFF.jpg

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
I salute you Scotia, you have put more care in this thread than Konami in the last few years for the franchise

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I recently came back from a self imposed ban so I haven't been able to check up on the latest threads, so I'm sorry I missed that one. Mods can feel free to lock this thread if they feel it's too redundant.

imagine having Gabriel in the poll
Imagine not having Julius in the poll

I fancied mixing the choices up a bit but if I had another slot I'd have added Julius (and I didn't expect Julius to be the most common pick lol).

I salute you Scotia, you have put more care in this thread than Konami in the last few years for the franchise

Damn, the truth really hurts lol

(Thanks though. I've been wanting to make this thread for a while so I've had time to think about it lol)

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think the classic (as in 8 and 16 bit era) Belmonts look kinda lame, I've always preferred the other Castlevania protagonists like Alucard. Who is kinda sorta a Belmont in the Lords of Shadow timeline, I know.
But if I had to choose I'd go with Richter, since he's got the best game.

None because the clan name is Belmondo and not Belmont.

(It's Juste because he's the coolest)
Jean-Paul is the best member of the Belmondo clan.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP. How did you forget to add Super Castlevania IV on Simon's bios. The best Classic Vania.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Aren't Julius and Yoko related since the Belmont and Belnades blood mixed with Trevor and Sypha ending up together?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Never played Castlevania but by this thread I would pick Simon. Fuck, If I were Dracula I would just quit after losing for a mortally ill man. Do something better with my time.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be Richter. Can you imagine just sitting on your recliner, a pint of chocolate stout in hand, and then some guy just comes waltzing into your living room and tells you, in your own house, to die and get out of the neighborhood?

Richter has no chill; he's there to get shit done. Richter is the best.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I believe canonically, every time Dracula resurrects he is stronger than the previous incarnation, and the Belmont warrior must also be stronger than the previous warrior.

I believe Julius is actually the strongest Belmont of them all, and the one who seals Dracula for good.

I think he is technically stronger than Soma, but loses the battle in Aria of Sorrow due to only recently regaining his memories (and being 20 years or so past his prime).
Julius is holding back in that fight because he senses that Soma is fighting against the evil within him.

Anyway yeah Julius is a badass. Shame we never got a game about 1999.

Nov 28, 2017
Richter, for a number of reasons. I'll stick to the main ones.

Richter's moveset in ROB and SOTN are quite possibly the fastest of all Belmonts, let alone powerful. If I were given a choice between an SOTN run with Richter or a Julius run with AoS, I'd gladly choose to play the former.

For lore, I'd stick with Trevor or Sonia.

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
He's finally back to kick some tail
His vampire whip can whip 'em in spurts
If he hits ya, it's gonna hurt!
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the first member of the Belmont crew!

Deleted member 5745

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have said Richter a week ago, but after watching the Netflix Castlevania I just have to go with Trevor.