• Masashi Hamauzu

Votes: 74 41.1%
  • Junya Nakano

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
/!\ In your opinion /!\ Expand the track listings here to see who wrote what:

Uematsu has the prelude, To Zanarkand, Calm Before the Storm, Path of Repentance. But Hamauzu has Besaid Island, Sight of Spira, and The Traveling Agency 🤔

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like X's soundtrack very much, but Uematsu's tracks are the ones I remember. Hamauzu has never done any music I find particularly appealing and Junya Nakano is the "and Peggy!" of the X OST crew.

Zanasea

Oct 28, 2017
France
You could have chosen a picture of the real soundtrack, not some bootleg. "Produed by Nobuo Uematsu", huh? And who's "Junya Nakamo"?

Anyway, it's Hamauzu of course. Who else?

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I like Hamauzu's work, especially in XIII where he carves out a more unique and distinctive voice but there's only one man that's gonna win that list lol. Uematsu the king for a reason.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I would personally say Hamauzu as a whole, however there's no denying the importance of Uematsu's music to the game. It's a great soundtrack overall though; very few complaints from me.

perfect free

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all three composers' styles work well with each other and create a variety that lends itself to out-of-game listening. Same with the Hamauzu/Mizuta/Suzuki trio for FF XIII-2.

But if you made me pick one I guess it'd have to be Hamauzu, mostly for Wandering Flame.

Oct 27, 2017
Uematsu put in solid work, but Hamauzu contributed the best tracks for X: Besaid, The Splendid Performance, To the End of the Abyss, Challenge, etc.

And of course the best track:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the work of Hamauzu. I think his work was crucial in bringing in the atmosphere the game has.

I MEAN....Hamauzu made this song:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uematsu has the prelude, To Zanarkand, Calm Before the Storm, Path of Repentance. But Hamauzu has Besaid Island, Sight of Spira, and The Traveling Agency 🤔
To Zanarkand and Prelude are absolute bops so I'm tempted to say Uematsu but if Hymn of the Fayth is by someone else that would mix shit up

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Even as somebody who never played the game, FFX might have my favorite soundtrack in video games. Specifically the first hour or so, whoever did most of that I guess is my favorite.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Hamauzu. Also fun fact: the title of the song we all love from him isn't Wandering Flame, it's just Wandering! Went to buy it on iTunes and couldn't find it for a while because of this.

Zanasea

Oct 28, 2017
France
Hamauzu. Also fun fact: the title of the song we all love from him isn't Wandering Flame, it's just Wandering! Went to buy it on iTunes and couldn't find it for a while because of this.
Actually, "Wandering Flame" is a direct translation of the Japanese title (彷徨の炎), but for some reason the official translation is just "Wandering".

Now, I'm just sad no one mentioned the final battle theme. The orchestrated version from the Final Symphony piano concerto is simply breathtaking (just like the entire concerto anyway, THANKS TO HAMAUZU who arranged it lol).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Papa Uematsu is, by far, my favourite composer of all time, no question.

Now, the Wandering Flame fire is too strong, so Hamauzu here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Besaid Island, Sight of Spira, and The Traveling Agency all > Wandering

k6LuGaA.gif

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Another couple of favourites that dont tend to get mentioned

End of the abyss in particular is probably the most FFXish track in the OST to me

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about FFX only, then Hamauzu. The best tracks in the game are composed by him.

Example:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hamauzu is one of my favorite Japanese composers, but he composed Blitz Off in this game so he automatically loses. :( But he did compose some amazing tracks in this game.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Hamauzu is one of my favorite Japanese composers, but he composed Blitz Off in this game so he automatically loses. :( But he did compose some amazing tracks in this game.

That song fits well enough, the only musical mistake in the game is having the awful Inflexible Determination play in the second half of Zanarkand

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
i can't choose

Besaid Island tho. Fuck man.
You wake up in the middle of nowhere after seeing your megalopolis destroyed by lord knows what and the first thing you hear is this blissful tune.
SO GOOD

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu easily, his are the songs I still remember years after playing the game.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from a few key tracks, Uematsu sounded bored in X. Hamauzu carried the soundtrack.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu might have the better tracks in the game, but the strength of Hamauzu's work is most likely what got him such a prominent position working on the franchise from then on. And he's been a great bet. FFXIII was the best OST the company had put out up until Automata.

Alfman

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite tracks from FFX are from Hamauzu - so this is my answer. But man, this OST is overall so great and I have so much nostalgia for it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Uematsu outshined Hamauzu on this one, despite Hamauzu being a better composer. FFVIII was the best FF soundtrack until they dropped XIII's Impressionist magic on us.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Uematsu had the best tracks in a vaccuum (nothing Hamauza has on the soundtrack comes close to To Zanarkand), but virtually everything I think of as defining FFX's sound is Hamauzu's.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually really hard but I'll give the edge to Uematsu for Out if the Frying Pan.

I'll give Nakano some love though for Pursuit.

God I love this game.