vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Update from the WHO on the new variant:
www.theguardian.com

Omicron Covid variant poses very high global risk, says WHO

UN agency urges acceleration of vaccination of high-priority groups to tackle spread of variant
The Omicron coronavirus variant is likely to spread internationally, posing a very high global risk of infection surges that could have severe consequences some areas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
"Omicron has an unprecedented number of spike mutations, some of which are concerning for their potential impact on the trajectory of the pandemic," the WHO said. "The overall global risk related to the new variant of concern Omicron is assessed as very high.
"The presence of multiple mutations of the spike protein in the receptor-binding domain suggests that Omicron may have a high likelihood of immune escape from antibody-mediated protection. However, immune escape potential from cell-mediated immunity is more difficult to predict," it said.
Some more general updates from today:

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So all we know is it's a new variant of Covid 19.

We have no idea if it's more dangerous, less dangerous or the same as existing strains.

We have no idea if it will lead to more breakthrough infections or not for people with the current vaccines.

All we know is that it's different and spreading, mostly to unvaccinated people at the moment.

So get vaccinated. Get boosters if you're due. And try to avoid crowded spaces. Wear a mask when you can't avoid them. - same rules as before.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So have all the other VOCs, that's why they're VOCs.

But like the tweet linked in OP said, they don't know if it's associated with any concerning traits. It just shows signs that it could, like the other 6 they said could have that, but don't.

I'm going to wait until that's known to be concerned.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It's a potential big risk but right now we basically don't know almost anything about it.
Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it potentially could.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

We have no idea if it's more dangerous, less dangerous or the same as existing strains.

We have no idea if it will lead to more breakthrough infections or not for people with the current vaccines.

All we know is that it's different and spreading, mostly to unvaccinated people at the moment.
Yes, essentially. It's good to have some caution until we do know specifics, and use the unknowns to "scare" some more of the anti-vax crowd into jumping ship to the sane end of the spectrum.

Variants are going to keep popping up, generally these things become milder as time progresses as it doesn't serve any virus to kill it's hosts as that would inevitably mean it's own demise as well, so until we know more, fingers crossed we're mutating in the right direction.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
As depressing as this news might seem, it's important to remember that, back in early / mid 2020, everyone was mad at the WHO for taking too long to declare the original COVID-19 strain a pandemic, and a lot of people - rightly, in most cases - were angry at their governments for not doing enough to recognise the severity of the situation.

This is the backdrop to the decisions that are now being made at the nation and global levels; nobody is taking any chances. And given how much is still unknown, and is going to remain unknown for at least a couple of weeks, about Omicron, these announcements are probably the right move from a public health perspective. From the point of view of preventing unnecessary deaths, you can't really have people be too scared.

From the point of view of individual mental health and collective morale, announcements like this are obviously less than desirable. But if you find yourself thinking "oh shit, it's back to square one" then it might be helpful to remind yourself just how delayed action really was back in 2020. We're nowhere near returning to square one scientifically, culturally, or at the policy level, and if anything the speed and decisiveness of the international community's reaction to the unknown aspects of this new variant should demonstrate how far we've come in the last two years.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
With Red states like Florida still hell bent on making masks and vaccine mandates political, I wonder how they will code switch to get the upper middle class white Americans to get vaccinated. The poor white Americans will be fodder as usual as I'm sure they know they can't change their minds anymore.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The real concern for me is societal compliance and the government's will to act. I can't see any kind of major lockdown happening again in my country… Hell, just over the border they can't even be bothered doing the bare minimum and having people working from home.

Last edited:

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Yes, essentially. It's good to have some caution until we do know specifics, and use the unknowns to "scare" some more of the anti-vax crowd into jumping ship to the sane end of the spectrum.

Variants are going to keep popping up, generally these things become milder as time progresses as it doesn't serve any virus to kill it's hosts as that would inevitably mean it's own demise as well, so until we know more, fingers crossed we're mutating in the right direction.

can't imagine an anti-vax crowd jumping in to get the vaccine at this point they are never gonna get it imo

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
13 cases have been confirmed in Portugal. A football player arrived from South Africa a week ago and after 4 or 5 days 12 team mates had been infected.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like an endless pandemic for many years to come. I can't see the exit strategy.
Yeah this is horrible.

We were in NYC over the weekend and I really appreciated the requirement to show a vaccine card to gain entry to anything but man it is getting annoying having to wear a mask everywhere at this point.

On the other hand no one in my house has gotten seriously sick yet so I do appreciate that very much and am very thankful for everything the scientists and doctors have done to keep us alive. But it is wearing on everyone.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
can't imagine an anti-vax crowd jumping in to get the vaccine at this point they are never gonna get it imo
One way or the other the anti vax crowd will shrink, either because more governments/businesses will require vaccinations to do anything, or they'll end up dying of the disease.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It could. We don't know. We know that in spreads well in countries where Delta didn't break through that well. So maybe it can outcompete Delta, maybe it can't.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
If the current vaccines don't work against this I can imagine a lot less people being willing to get a new vaccine. It almost feels hopeless.

They should really be laser focused on creating a treatment that you can buy over the counter.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If the current vaccines don't work against this I can imagine a lot less people being willing to get a new vaccine. It almost feels hopeless.

They should really be laser focused on creating a treatment that you can buy over the counter.
No.

It's two part, and even if the vaccines work less against it, you're better being vaccinated with the current vaccine than to not have anything.

Yes, an OTC treatment is needed, but OTC won't do much without a vaccine.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

The current vaccines will work against Omicron, they might just be less effective against than the other variants

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It could. We don't know. We know that in spreads well in countries where Delta didn't break through that well. So maybe it can outcompete Delta, maybe it can't.
It might just last longer in heat, or in those specific circumstances, We don't even know if it's spreading well in countries where delta didn't break through that well, because it's currently mostly unvaccinated, first time infected cases.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, there's a portion of that crowd that's full-on conspiracy nut that you won't ever convince. But there's a bigger bunch that's just more scared of vaccines than of Covid, that balance can still shift from being more scared of Covid than vaccines and that's when they'll jump.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
One way or the other the anti vax crowd will shrink, either because more governments/businesses will require vaccinations to do anything, or they'll end up dying of the disease.
The no-vax will still fill up the hospitals and remove spot to people that need to be cured, cured for something they couldn't predict or prevented by a simple vaccination.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking sucks, I'm due for a booster shot but I can't get an an appointment before next year.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
As depressing as this news might seem, it's important to remember that, back in early / mid 2020, everyone was mad at the WHO for taking too long to declare the original COVID-19 strain a pandemic, and a lot of people - rightly, in most cases - were angry at their governments for not doing enough to recognise the severity of the situation.

This is the backdrop to the decisions that are now being made at the nation and global levels; nobody is taking any chances. And given how much is still unknown, and is going to remain unknown for at least a couple of weeks, about Omicron, these announcements are probably the right move from a public health perspective. From the point of view of preventing unnecessary deaths, you can't really have people be too scared.

From the point of view of individual mental health and collective morale, announcements like this are obviously less than desirable. But if you find yourself thinking "oh shit, it's back to square one" then it might be helpful to remind yourself just how delayed action really was back in 2020. We're nowhere near returning to square one scientifically, culturally, or at the policy level, and if anything the speed and decisiveness of the international community's reaction to the unknown aspects of this new variant should demonstrate how far we've come in the last two years.
I've had nagging background anxiety about this since Friday and honestly reading this helps put things in to perspective a little, thank you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Really hoping this doesn't pan out. Things would still be being worked through but 2022 had a light around it for the most part.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
This fucking sucks, I'm due for a booster shot but I can't get an an appointment before next year.
From what I'm seeing both Moderna and Pfizer are working on an Omicron booster and expect to have it made in 100 days.

Also Moderna's current booster is a 50cc injection and they're working on upgrading the normal booster to be 100cc (which the original 2 shots were).

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
This is really bad timing after grade school kids were authorized to get their shots too. Anyone who kept waiting for boosters when their pharmacists were handing them out like Halloween candy should get their booster now or wait until next year.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Honestly, the wikipedia article is great because we've done this song and dance a few times, with Epsilon, with Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa... even some that are still classified as VOCs are obviously not, and have fallen out of conversation, notably, Beta and Gamma

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to get a booster this week, should I still get it or wait and see if we end up needing another shot for this variant?

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We know it has a high amount of mutations at the spike protein, some that were associated with higher transmissability and immune evastion in past Variants of Concern. That's what is surprising and concering scientist around the world right now and caused WHO and countries to react so quick.

How these mutations relate to real world behaviour in vaccinated, unvaccinated or previously infected patients and the transmissability of the virus is indeed very unknown so far. The coming weeks will answer that.

I was going to get a booster this week, should I still get it or wait and see if we end up needing another shot for this variant?
No, as Delta is still the prevalent variant everywhere and you want to be protected from that. If the vaccine needs adjustment for Omicron development and rollout of an updated version will take a while anyway.

How vaccines work against it? We have any info?
Not yet. BioNtech already said they will know more in two weeks.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This shit never ends. Hope the vaccines are effective.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Really hoping this doesn't pan out. Things would still be being worked through but 2022 had a light around it for the most part.
I mean, end of day we're still on our way out in a way. As more people get Covid our immune system learns and adapts, so the threat is likely to still diminish either way. Aside from that treatments are still being further developed, as well as new medicine's to compliment the vaccines. Mutations are always going to be a thing, and Covid itself is never going away, but I still have full faith we're going to get to a point where the anti-vax talking point "it's just like a flu" is going to be a truthful statement.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
We know it has a high amount of mutations at the spike protein, some that were associated with higher transmissability and immune evastion in past Variants of Concern. That's what is surprising and concering scientist around the world right now and caused WHO and countries to react so quick.

How these mutations relate to real world behaviour in vaccinated, unvaccinated or previously infected patients and the transmissability of the virus is indeed very unknown so far. The coming weeks will answer that.

The other thing that justifies concern is that it appears to be significantly outspreading delta, suggesting it has some kind of advantage over it. That it is likely to be greater transmissibility and/or ability to better evade immunity from infection and/or vaccines. For me this is the main thing that justifies worry -- if it can outspread delta somewhere there's no particular reason to expect it won't do the same elsewhere.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States

Is there a reason why we need to wait six months for a new shot anyway? If shit hits the fan, your pharmacist and the US will want people to get the new shots asap anyway. They might discourage booster people to get it before six months because a booster shot patient may do better than a non booster patient so the latter are more at risk. But who knows how long until the updated vaccine is out.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I found this a very level-headed article written in layman's terms so dumbasses like me can follow. It was written before the new strain was named, but I particularly appreciate how it explains what the mutations mean etc.

yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com

New Concerning Variant: B.1.1.529

I hope everyone in the States had a fantastic Thanksgiving (even if you’re a Dallas Cowboys football fan). I hate to ruin the holiday, but… We have a new variant. I’ve not seen this much anxiety ridden chatter among scientists about a COVID19 variant before. Even among the calm, cool, and...

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Is there a reason why we need to wait six months for a new shot anyway? If shit hits the fan, your pharmacist and the US will want people to get the new shots asap anyway. They might discourage people to because a booster shot patient may do better than a non booster patient so they are more at risk. But who knows how long until the updated vaccine is out.
I mean, there's no real reason to get the vaccine every few months. The six months is there because the initial shots are still effective, the booster is to boost efficiency once the effectiveness wears of, not make you more resistant with each shot. If that were the case, they'd just give you endless shots until they get to 100% immunity.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
All we can do is do our best to stay safe and keep those around us safe, and wait untill more data comes in and is analysed. Lets just hope the early reports that this strain might be a combination of higher infection rates with lower sick making capabilities are true. It would basically mean Omicron would be a 'free vaccine', giving people cold-like symptoms while also giving them immunity. But I'm not counting on it just yet... I just really hope this one doesn't send us back to square one.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So get vaccinated. Get boosters if you're due. And try to avoid crowded spaces. Wear a mask when you can't avoid them. - same rules as before.
END this thread.

This is all there is to take away from this type of news.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I mean, there's no real reason to get the vaccine every few months. The six months is there because the initial shots are still effective, the booster is to boost efficiency once the effectiveness wears of, not make you more resistant with each shot. If that were the case, they'd just give you endless shots until they get to 100% immunity.

Right but let's say the new omnicron shot is out at January. Anyway who got boosted during the fall will have taken shots less than six months prior to January. You would hope they recommend booster shot people to take omnicron shots ASAP if boosters aren't as effective and being overtaken by omnicron.