• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
How are researchers coming along with treatments for COVID? It feels like at this point, the best we can hope for is that they come up with some good treatments to minimize the damage it can cause.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How are researchers coming along with treatments for COVID? It feels like at this point, the best we can hope for is that they come up with some good treatments to minimize the damage it can cause.
There's an OTC treatment coming in january from Pfizer and another company.
WHO literally says it's a concern...

If vaccines need to be adjusted it'll take many months of development+production+distribution til this is in the arms of billions of people.

The major concern is also wether this could reinfect people who already got infected with Delta/Alpha leading to a new wave of infections among the unvaccinated (= full hospitals again).

Considering how many countries are already struggling with Delta at them moment this is something we absolutely don't need right now.
Who said it's Potentially a concern, it's genome matches that of ones with traits we could be worried about, however, it might not. We won't know for a few weeks.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There's an OTC treatment coming in january from Pfizer and another company.

Who said it's LIKELY to be a concern, it's genome matches that of ones with traits we could be worried about, however, it might not. We won't know for a few weeks.
Indeed. We don't have the data to speak to how likely this is to put people in hospital beds or to be fatal yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those numbers aren't any worse than delta. It's plausible that in a few weeks we won't even be thinking about this variant. And plausible that things will be significantly worse than they are right now too.

In the meantime, get vaccinated if you haven't, mask up, and be sensible. Do whatever you can to not be part of the omicron data set.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly, while this is kind of doom post-y, I'm very glad that the WHO is being cautious and announcing this. One of the reasons Covid got so bad was a slow response to everything, and I'm glad they're not allowing it to happen again.

It's better to be over prepared than under prepared, though we'll know the full extent of everything in about 2 weeks or so

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Just booked two PCR tests for the day I arrive in Leeds with the promise of same day results. $260 :( I hate this fucking virus.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
December 22nd to the 30th. You think I should just cancel the trip? Like, did they do that sort of lockdown for Delta?
The UK are going to announce on the 18th whether the rules are changing or not, so sit tight for now. It seems far more likely to me that they'll change again than remain the same as the rules that go into effect this week, though whether they get stricter or not is going to depend on how bad the numbers on this thing are looking.

I'm meant to be flying in on the 24th.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Aww shiiit here we go again

I found this a very level-headed article written in layman's terms so dumbasses like me can follow. It was written before the new strain was named, but I particularly appreciate how it explains what the mutations mean etc.

yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com

New Concerning Variant: B.1.1.529

I hope everyone in the States had a fantastic Thanksgiving (even if youā€™re a Dallas Cowboys football fan). I hate to ruin the holiday, butā€¦ We have a new variant. Iā€™ve not seen this much anxiety ridden chatter among scientists about a COVID19 variant before. Even among the calm, cool, and...

Thanks for sharing this.

Very short helpful breakdown

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
The UK are going to announce on the 18th whether the rules are changing or not, so sit tight for now. It seems far more likely to me that they'll change again than remain the same as the rules that go into effect this week, though whether they get stricter or not is going to depend on how bad the numbers on this thing are looking.

I'm meant to be flying in on the 24th.
I really hope they don't get more strict given this trip cost a whole lot at this point...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Same here. My business trips have now been canceled. At least this came out now, because i would have most likely gotten stuck in Europe if things end up getting worse.
So I think I'm fucked lol. I just spoke to my director and she says we should still plan to go unless we're restricted by the government. With my luck, I will be getting stuck over there for the holidays. Hooray.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Flying tomorrow for work. Have tickets to a sports game while I'm in town. Fun fun fun.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I are going to Seattle next week šŸ¤Ø Going to proceed as normal and just be extra careful.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
As it stands, we don't know the full picture of omicron and, to date, none of the variants have been resistant to the vaccine.

I think we need to get used to the idea of further variations of Covid and not to panic every single time, but err on the side of caution until we know more.

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, the giant Delta surge that is taking off is like 100x scarier than thinking about the next thing potential variant. Travel may get fucky if there are further restrictions, but in terms of actual health risk for people traveling through January, it is Delta, Delta, Delta, and more Delta that is the actual threat.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I really hope they don't get more strict given this trip cost a whole lot at this point...
I'm just glad I paid extra to book tickets that offer full no question refunds. I'm really hoping I don't have to abandon the whole trip, but at least I'm not going to be stuck with credit, or having to fight to get a refund, etc (as we had to for one trip last year, which wasn't a pleasant process).

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Biden is now live talking about the Omicron variant, just started (noon eastern time).

thehill.com

Watch live: Biden delivers remarks on omicron variant

President Biden on Monday morning is slated to provide an update on the nationā€™s response to the omicron variant of the coronavirus.The event is scheduled to begin at 11:45 a.m. ET.Watchā€¦

So, not surprisingly they are saying they believe the current vaccines will provide at least some protection from serious infection. And that they will move as fast as fucking possible to get updated vaccines out to people IF it turns out we need them. And get your fucking boosters.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Getting my booster next week but I'm REALLY hoping this doesn't fuck with my holiday plans. I'd love to actually get to see my family in Canada and I'm so close to the actual visit.

Ugh. Thankfully my whole family is vaccinated but I'm going to be worried about flying. Again.

DarkSora

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Super glad I got my booster last week, literally a day before Omicron was announced.

Got a feeling appointments will be booking like crazy now.

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/29/pfi...t-pill-effective-against-omicron-variant.html
Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said on Monday that he expects the company's Covid-19 treatment pill to be effective against the omicron variant of the virus causes Covid-19.

"The good news when it comes to our treatment, it was designed with that in mind, it was designed with with the fact that most mutations are coming in the spikes," Bourla told CNBC's "Squawk Box." "So that gives me very high level of confidence that the treatment will not be affected, our oral treatment will not be affected by this virus."
While Bourla was optimistic about the efficacy of Paxlovid, he said the impact of omicron on the company's two-dose vaccine remains to be seen.

"I don't think that the result will be the vaccines don't protect," Bourla said. "I think the result could be, which we don't know yet, the vaccines protect less."

Bourla said Pfizer has already begun work to manufacture a new vaccine if necessary. The company made its first DNA template on Friday, he said, the first step in the development process.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Super glad I got my booster last week, literally a day before Omicron was announced.

Got a feeling appointments will be booking like crazy now.
The booster out right now has added protection for Delta, not Omicron. Phizer said to expect the Omicron booster in early 2022. Get the Delta booster asap if you can, because the CDC may advise against getting both boosters within a short timeframe

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Well, covid can go to hell, I am not going to die from that shit, the mutation probably made the virus less deadly
You might not die from it, but what about the people that catch it from you? Also, long covid is a bitch. An acquaintance of mine got it, dude still has issues from it months later. Enjoy your decreased lung function.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is life now, probably. New variants, new boosters, for years to come. Right?

We will certainly be dealing with covid for years to come. But, to what degree is just unknowable. Hopefully at some point not too far off (next couple of years) we stop seeing these massive global swings. But, who knows.

If pfizers medication for treatment holds up, that combined with vaccines will be fucking huge. At some point we won't have to worry as much about dying if we catch covid, and hopefully then it kinda starts fading away into the background. But, it will always be around now, and we will certainly be actively living with it for years to come.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Flying to NYC this week and seeing multiple shows and plans to see a ton of friends. Really makes for a much edgier feeling trip than I had in mind =/

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The booster out right now has added protection for Delta, not Omicron. Phizer said to expect the Omicron booster in early 2022. Get the Delta booster asap if you can, because the CDC may advise against getting both boosters within a short timeframe
You're talking about boosters like the variants are completely different viruses. They're not.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
So there's nothing new here.

The booster has no changes for Delta. It's literally the same thing as the original. All it does is provoke another immune response to try and increase the same protections you had before.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We don't know if the vaccine needs additional changes for Omicron, but Pfizer and Moderna are working on it, as a just in case.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Got our boosters last week. Everyone eligible should get it.

We don't know if the alpha vaccine provides as much against it as delta (which it is very), but the most likely probability is it provides some protection. Could be 5% or 50% efficacy, we don't know, but it probably greatly reduces the chance of hospitalization and death.

Last edited:

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Been saying it for a while: we're in for seasonal Covid that will be extremely dangerous over the long term for those that continue to refuse to be vaccinated.

Many people are going to find this out the hard way. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, but eventually.