• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Coronavirus variants are to be known by letters of the Greek alphabet to avoid misreporting and stigmatising nations where they were first detected, the World Health Organization (WHO) has announced.

The new system applies to variants of concern – the most troubling of which four are in circulation – and the second-level variants of interest being tracked.
"While they have their advantages, these scientific names can be difficult to say and recall, and are prone to misreporting," the WHO said in a statement.

"As a result, people often resort to calling variants by the places where they are detected, which is stigmatising and discriminatory."
The four coronavirus variants considered of concern by the United Nations agency and known generally by the public as the UK, South Africa, Brazil and India variants have now been given the letters Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta according to the order of their detection.
The choice of the Greek alphabet came after months of deliberations in which other possibilities such as Greek Gods and invented, pseudo-classical names were considered by experts, according to bacteriologist Mark Pallen who was involved in the talks.

But many were already brands, companies or alien names.

Another idea to refer to variants of concern as VOC1, VOC2 etc was scrapped after he pointed out it resembled an English swear word.

www.aljazeera.com

WHO renames coronavirus variants with Greek letters

The UN agency says one aim is to avoid stigmatising the countries where coronavirus variants are first detected.

Dec 30, 2020
The people of Greece are just thrilled about this.

...What swear word does VOC2 resemble? I'm not seeing it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean they leaned on so called variant that had a proper name for the media etc. when it had a proper name but not really memorable for people I guess.

You know the news is just going to do the so called Gamma variant also known as the Brazil variant. Doubt this will do much to quell discrimination, news will still batter the public with it came from…..

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Good idea. I had always thought about how it was recommended to avoid demonyms in the naming of such things, and how that wasn't being respected with these variants.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Omega Strain is actually going to be real

51VhTCXy7bL._SY445_.jpg

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Good idea. I had always thought about how it was recommended to avoid demonyms in the naming of such things, and how that wasn't being respected with these variants.

There was the plan, but the official name was just not easy to remember and say, so even though the medical and research expert use the official name(Some don't and use their own naming like bird), the general news media and politican find it easier to just use the Country name variant.
So this idea is to have a standard name that everyone can use and easy to use and say.

In the United Kingdom (UK), a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 (known as 20I/501Y.V1, VOC 202012/01, or B.1.1.7)
In South Africa, another variant of SARS-CoV-2 (known as 20H/501Y.V2 or B.1.351)
In Brazil, a variant of SARS-CoV-2 (known as P.1)

And some news did say call it by it's real name. (Don't read comment)
www.statnews.com

It's not the 'British variant.' It's B.1.1.7

The tendency to name pathogens and diseases by where they seemingly emerged seems almost as contagious as the organisms themselves. But it's wrong.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Don't they already have number and letters?

Their official name is
In the United Kingdom (UK), a new variant of SARS-CoV-2 (known as 20I/501Y.V1, VOC 202012/01, or B.1.1.7)
In South Africa, another variant of SARS-CoV-2 (known as 20H/501Y.V2 or B.1.351)

And even Covid-19 isn't the official name, it is SARS-CoV-2

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the media aren't gonna call 'em B.1.1.7 or GR/501Y.V2.

Alpha and Beta they can handle.

I think they already do that, or at least the Canadian media does. They might start off the article with "The B.1.1.7 variant first identified in Britain" or "P1 variant first identified in Brazil", but in the rest of the article they will use the numbers. e.g.

I did notice the BBC using "Indian variant" and "Kent variant" [sic] though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The choice of the Greek alphabet came after months of deliberations in which other possibilities such as Greek Gods and invented, pseudo-classical names were considered by experts, according to bacteriologist Mark Pallen who was involved in the talks.

7BSoXse.gif

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
A good thing to do. Especially when you have idiots like Thailand's government being more concerned with people calling one of the new variants the Thai variant than vaccinating non tourist areas, the elderly, and foreigners.
They literally had a press briefing explaining how it's actually should be called the Egyptian Variant. Bonkers.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Don't blame them but a bit late on this sadly. I was so tired of having to explain to people that the UK variant wasn't necessarily mutated there but the UK just happened to actually look for the thing. The usa probably had a few variants that never got found to be from there because they refused to actually look for them under trump. Remember being told before of the Spanish flu being more from the usa at the time iirc but Spain actually reported on it and others didn't and they got lumped with the name stigma.

Magni

Their official name is

COVID-19 is the disease, SARS-CoV-2 the virus, right? Similar to HIV/AIDS.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Other than using the official names they should have done this from the start. It's still ridiculous though that just where a variant was first identified can be used for bigotry.

Also I cant wait for the A-Ω strain.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Good. I've cringed so much at all the shitrag newspapers in the UK talking about the "Indian variant" etc with thinly-veiled racist disdain.

Yet they couldn't stop crying when the "UK Variant" was talked about a few months ago.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Name it after the assholes who had a hand in elevating them.

Modi variant.
Boris variant.
Bolsonaro variant.

ED: We can keep the Greek alphabet for the SA one.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
So when a new variant comes out, are they just gonna name it and not say where it originated?

I understand what they're trying to do, but I doubt it'll be adopted by the press or the public.

A new strain… Theta… so we should restrict air travel or travel to country… Theta?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a good change, I admittedly find myself wondering if there's any particular variant that tipped the scales away from using the country of origin - and if so, which continent that variant was from.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Their official name is

Is Alpha the first variant discovered in the world and so on or they fucked it up again?

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i feel like the WHO is not very quick to tamp down these problems. Why did they wait 6 months to figure out they wanted to use Greek letters? Who makes these decisions? It doesn't even take a doctor to think up this idea. They just need a guy saying "oh yeah we should do this"