Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sega Channel was the original Gamepass for me.

Sega_Channel_Demo_Test_%28Jan_3%2C_1996_09.22_prototype%29.2017-06-25_23.19.14.png

Look, they even had Sonic Mania back then in the 90s

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I did in the UK and also lovefilm which amazon bought and changed to amazon prime video. Was a good set up for me as I could pay a fee and rent games which were sent to my my house. Lovefilm in particular was better here for me though as they had a pretty big amount of vita games which was cool. It sucks that blockbuster went down and then amazon stopped doing game rentals not too long after.

There's another place in the UK called boomerang rentals I used to use but a few years ago (after I had cancelled my account with them 2 years prior) they got hacked and a bunch of people got their bank details stolen. The only time in my life I've had fraudulent charges on one of my accounts was due to that. The worst part being they never admitted it was them and to this day I don't think they have either. But they took their site down for a good week or so for "security purposes" which is a weird amount of time to go down if you don't think you've been hacked. All I remember was a bunch of customers all complaining and they were the common link between everyone. Haven't game rented since.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I never did the gaming one, but summers in college we'd do the movie one where you could do a movie a day for a flat fee got a month or two and catch up on movies.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
YES!! I loved this. I had a good friend who worked at blockbuster so he'd hold the new games for me. It was awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
That ad.. wtf is a football widow in this context. Am I missing some humor?
I think it refers to a wife that is being ignored by their husband because he spends all his time watching football. I don't know if I've ever actually heard someone say that but I feel like it's one of those old-fashioned terms that isn't used anymore.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly. I don't understand why video game rentals pretty much died out. Well, I actually do understand - I suppose video games weren't as profitable as movies due to their higher price and things like huge day 1 patches make renting a game less appealing too - but still, the value you would get out of renting a game over a weekend was incredible and there's really nothing comparable today. Rentals were pretty much the only reason I was able to play loads of new games as a kid and teenager. It was great.

Stuff like Game Pass is definitely more convenient in certain ways, especially for someone who can't spend an entire weekend playing video games anymore, but it doesn't offer the luxure of being able to play pretty much every new game shortly after release.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
UM EASILY,

The huge advantage it had over gamefly too was instantly drive to the store and swap the game out. No BS waiting or sometimes gamefly wouldn't even ship a game for weeks due to volume. At least i could go into blockbuster and choose SOMETHING to play for the time being while waiting for other games to be returned.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Companies were notoriously against rental companies, but they were great while they lasted. Honestly, they were going out the door as soon as I was hitting adulthood, so I never truly got to enjoy them. Still, got to play more games than I would've as a kid thanks to Blockbuster.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
The Blockbuster was 30 minutes away and didn't have the newest games in stock, so it was Gamefly for me since there were more USPS processing plants pre 2009. Then Redbox started to rent out games, saved me $50 due to a three day marathoning Bioshock: Infinity on PS3.

Both siding a Labor Uprising story?! I wanted to decimate Colombia white supremists fools. Comstock didn't even had a boss fight and there were no battles to obtain powers. I really need to try the DLC since I somehow have Bioshock: The Collection sonewhere.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Incredible times. I lived very close to a Blockbuster, so I was always there. I had the Movie Pass as well. Weekends, I'd walk out of BB with a movie, a game, and the pièce de résistance:
51R5gGtdolL.jpg

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I miss those days, going to Blockbuster with your girlfriend and finding some hidden gem on the shelves was fun times. You left the house for a bit, spent time browsing, bought popcorn and other candy. I loved it and miss it. Maybe I should consider moving near that last Blockbuster in Oregon or wherever it is lol. And I did have the game pass, that was a fantastic deal.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible times. I lived very close to a Blockbuster, so I was always there. I had the Movie Pass as well. Weekends, I'd walk out of BB with a movie, a game, and the pièce de résistance:
51R5gGtdolL.jpg

JFC my mouth is getting sour right now just looking at that. c':

I used to get that or the sour punch strings

619jX0YKfDL._SL1008_.jpg

and a rental game every other weekend c':

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I somehow forgot Blockbuster made it to the Wii years.

That seems like a really good deal. I don't really remember what rental costs normally were anymore, but I imagine you save money after the second or third rental.
I remember that when I rented a game from BB it was like $7 for a week for 1 game, with late fees.
Which in comparison to Game Pass sounds like robbery.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
My grandfather would sign up for this every summer, that way when he would go and get a movie I could get a game easily. I think my fondest memory was Jedi Outcast.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Damn never heard about it, I would've saved a lot of rentals and probably would've had to do a lot less convincing of parents to let me rent a game instead of a movie.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I did. Many trips to the local Blockbuster. It was about 15 minutes by bike.

But by the time the game pass came along, I was driving already.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah I remember this it was in 2005 I believe. It was better than game fly since you were able to return games and exchange them much quicker.