• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more about telling certain ethnicities what they have to look like. I'm not sure how Min Min looks like a white blonde, but she clearly has some Asian features. It's pretty dismissive to say she's Chinese but looks white so it really doesn't count as diversity.
It counts as diversity, but I think if you want to counter Asian hate and other forms of racism, it would be helpful to aim for a less stylized look. You likely won't run into many Asians who look like Min Min in real life. Character designs like those in Yakuza would reflect more what people will typically encounter in real life. I am asking for more diversity.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I've been told that Byleth actually can use all of those weapons, but I'm not about to play a Fire Emblem game to find out
Technically every character can wield the weapons as long as they are in the correct class, the difference is that unless you have the correct Crest you can't use their full power (Byleth included)

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It counts as diversity, but I think if you want to counter Asian hate and other forms of racism, it would be help to aim for a less stylized look.
Well it's a Nintendo game, pretty much all the characters are stylized, white or otherwise. Min Min looks like a stylize Asian person to me. Pretty much none of the characters aside Snake look less stylized to me.

Just saw your edit. You wont run into anyone in real life that looks like a Smash character aside maybe Snake.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Big Boss is mixed, however.

"The blood of the east flows through your veins."

Doesn't change the overall point, but still.

The reason for that is because the egg donor for Solid and Liquid was a Unnamed Japanese Woman who was Dr. Clarke's (Paramedic's) assistant.

No DLC character is really "boring" to me, since I like playing with random characters in a huge roster. More mechanics, the better haha.

But Kazuya or any Tekken rep was the most expected for me, to the point I would have been surprised if they somehow skipped it again. Mostly due to pretty much fitting all the expected criteria's (historically important 3rd party rep, Bandai Namco develops the game, Sakurai loves fighting games, etc.)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a Nintendo game, pretty much all the characters are stylized, white or otherwise. Min Min looks like a stylize Asian person to me. Pretty much none of the characters aside Snake look less stylized to me.
Why are you opposed to also having Asian people with more common features like black hair, the different eye shape, etc? I think many people would feel more represented.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw your edit. You wont run into anyone in real life that looks like a Smash character aside maybe Snake.
Link, Zelda, Samus, Terry, DQ11 Hero, Little Mac, Snake, etc - there are plenty of characters that have strong visual similarities to real-life people.

We need more Blacks and Asians, among others.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you opposed to also having Asian people with more common features like black hair, the different eye shape, etc? I think many people would feel more represented.
I'm not opposed to that, I'm oppose to Min Min being discredited because she doesn't look Asian enough for you. This is about Min Min, not other Asian characters that look realistic. I don't like the idea that your hair and eyes have to look a certain way to be considered Asian.

Nintendo characters are all stylized and this is a Nintendo all star game. You wont run into people who look like Mario or Link either but they're still white guys. Min Min is Chinese and there shouldn't be a debate about whether or not she looks Chinese enough. If you'd like to add another Asian character with a more realistic style, that's cool too. But you were saying Min does little for diversity and I was objecting to that.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not opposed to that, I'm oppose to Min Min being discredited because she doesn't look Asian enough for you. This is about Min Min, not other Asian characters that look realistic. I don't like the idea that your hair and eyes have to look a certain way to be considered Asian.

Nintendo characters are all stylized and this is a Nintendo all star game. You wont run into people who look like Mario or Link either but they're still white guys. Min Min is Chinese and there shouldn't be a debate about whether or not she looks Chinese enough. If you'd like to add another Asian character with a more realistic style, that's cool too. But you were saying Min does little for diversity and I was objecting to that.
I think Min Min helps, but I think if you want to normalize diversity (which is the whole point of representation in media), then you need to go waaaaaaay farther. We have several examples of the realistic style (Ryu, Joker, Kazuya), but it's not nearly enough.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.

Yeah, I'll be frank, it comes across as gross instead of just saying "I'd like more Asian characters, preferably less stylized" and leaving it at that, but instead spending several posts primarily arguing about how Min Min isn't Chinese enough looking.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Link famously looks like a young Leonardo DiCaprio and Hero (DQ11) looks like the lead of many an alt-rock band.

This is probably the first time I've ever heard someone compare Link's weird cartoon mutant face to a real person, much less DiCaprio. BotW's art style is VERY stylized and weird looking.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think Min Min helps, but I think if you want to normalize diversity (which is the whole point of representation in media), then you need to go waaaaaaay farther. We have several examples of the realistic style (Ryu, Joker, Kazuya), but it's not nearly enough.
Sure, however I think picking out Min Min and saying she doesn't look Asian enough is a bad way to get this point across is all. I know Asians who deal with that criticism and they find it super offensive.

Link famously looks like a young Leonardo DiCaprio and Hero (DQ11) looks like the lead of many an alt-rock band.
Yeah...we're not going to agree on what real human beings look like. I get your point that you want someone who looks like they're from Yakuza though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is a guest playable character in Sega's Fist of the North Star mobile game. Confirmed anime.

Sonic is what happens when Japanese artists create a character made for Americans.

Which is to say, greatness. This is why Terry is also the best because he's a rockabilly hobo in a trucker hat except he's also a mixed martial arts god.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The reason for that is because the egg donor for Solid and Liquid was a Unnamed Japanese Woman who was Dr. Clarke's (Paramedic's) assistant.

No DLC character is really "boring" to me, since I like playing with random characters in a huge roster. More mechanics, the better haha.

But Kazuya or any Tekken rep was the most expected for me, to the point I would have been surprised if they somehow skipped it again. Mostly due to pretty much fitting all the expected criteria's (historically important 3rd party rep, Bandai Namco develops the game, Sakurai loves fighting games, etc.)
I recall Big Boss being of Japanese-Hawaiian ancestry though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, however I think picking out Min Min and saying she doesn't look Asian enough is a bad way to get this point across is all. I know Asians who deal with that criticism and they find it super offensive.
I am asking for more in addition to Min Min. I don't think she should be the sole representative of an Asian female.

Racism typically targets people based on their looks. It is how racism tries to other-ize people. But if media depictions can include those people and their looks, it will normalize those looks, and help reduce racism.

So we need more minority characters that look more like real life. Hence, the desire for something more akin to Yakuza, rather than blonde hair, green eyebrows, etc.

White people don't exactly need to be represented any which way, because white people aren't being hurt the same way.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I am asking for more in addition to Min Min. I don't think she should be the sole representative of an Asian female.

Racism typically targets people based on their looks. But if media depictions can include those people, it will normalize those looks and help reduce racism.

So we need more minority characters that look more like real life. Hence, the desire for something more akin to Yakuza, rather than blonde hair, green eyebrows, etc.

White people don't exactly need to be represented any which way, because white people aren't being hurt the same way.
This clarifies what you're saying and that isn't something I objected to. Just don't say a character's eyes aren't Asian enough or things like that for their ethnicity to count. That's like, super offensive to Asian people who may not have what you deem as the correct Asian features.

For the record I wouldn't count on too many non stylized characters from Nintendo. At least not in Smash Brothers. My point wasn't that white characters aren't being accurately represented, it was that characters like Link and Samus are also stylized. That's what Nintendo does. Look at a picture of Link then look at a picture of Nathan Drake or Joel and tell me Link isn't highly stylized. This is how Nintendo makes their characters, and I don't really want them to start making realistic looking characters. I love the Arms designs and I'll take those over realism any day.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I recall Big Boss being of Japanese-Hawaiian ancestry though.

Sorry I misread your post on who it was about.

Just from reading up on the wiki, that information was from the 1998 Metal Gear Solid: Official Mission Handbook strategy guide; where a lot of the backstory written there for Big Boss has been disregarded in future games. Mostly making him younger and making him a member of the CIA in the 1960's (Snake Eater time period) instead.

Though they also didn't really change anything else on his origins though in later games, just some elements have been changed.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This clarifies what you're saying and that isn't something I objected to. Just don't say a character's eyes aren't Asian enough or things like that for their ethnicity to count. That's like, super offensive to Asian people who may not have what you deem as the correct Asian features.

For the record I wouldn't count on too many non stylized characters from Nintendo. At least not in Smash Brothers. My point wasn't that white characters aren't being accurately represented, it was that characters like Link and Samus are also stylized. That's what Nintendo does. Look at a picture of Link then look at a picture of Nathan Drake or Joel and tell me Link isn't highly stylized. This is how Nintendo makes their characters, and I don't really want them to start making realistic looking characters. I love the Arms designs and I'll take those over realism any day.
Thank you. And no offense intended. I love Min Min.

Obviously it's subjective what is recognizably "ethnic," and of course there are a variety of looks within each race -- all valid and deserving of inclusion.

But I think the closer you can get to what most people recognize, the more its inclusion will help normalize those traits and reduce racism through representation.

That's because if one can more readily identify it, that means it looks more distinct to them. And racism targets those with "distinct" looks, so those are the looks we need to prioritize for inclusion.

My statements were not meant to take anything from Min Min. I just assume that polling people on the street about, say, Min Min's race vs. Chun Li's race would result in more people correctly recognizing and identifying the latter. And so that look is more "distinct" to them -- and thus more likely to be other-ized and a victim of Asian hate.

That's where media representation can help.

Last edited:

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Anyone saying Kazuya can catch this
z55hacofr8a41.png
What the fuck? Am I supposed to draw a star with the control stick?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Obviously it's subjective what is recognizably "ethnic," and of course there are a variety of looks within each race -- all valid and deserving of inclusion.

But I think the closer you can get to what most people recognize, the more its inclusion will help normalize those traits, and thus reduce racism through representation. That's because if someone can more readily identify it, that means it looks more distinct to them. And racism targets those with "distinct" looks, so those are the looks we need to prioritize for inclusion.

My statements were not meant to take anything from Min Min. I just assume that polling people on the street about, say, Min Min's race vs. Chun Li's race would result in more people correctly recognizing and identifying the latter. And so that look is more "distinct" to them -- and thus more likely to be other-ized and a victim of Asian hate.

That's where media representation for that look can help.
This makes a lot more sense worded this way, and I think we can largely agree here. Thanks for the clarification.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
How are so many people voting Steve o.o? In gameplay and the reveal were sick. I mean, in character design, sure. But, other than that..

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Byleth actually made me immediately say "Yeah, that's Fire Emblem" and then laugh in my drowsy state when I happened to catch the trailer in the morning minutes after waking. They tried hard to make his moveset stand out from the other FE reps, but none of that can save a main protag Fire Emblem character.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
In defense of Byleth: their moveset is sick. I love that huge axe attack. It's just as satisfying as pulling off a Falcon/Warlock Punch.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Not gonna lie, as an Asian myself, I found it offensive.

No offense intended or not, you need to do better. Your posts were embarrassing.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
This is dumb, FE doesn't "deserve a slot", like i get this thinking with Pokemon since every main game sells like 15+ million and is part of a multimedia franchise with global recognition but FE "needing" to have the latest rep is ridiculous when you think about it

No need to be rude about it, "deserve a slot" is just a figure of speech to me🙂 I agree with you/never said thatanyway.

I don't think every "latest" FE game is entitled to a character or "slot." I even called the series as a whole oversaturated and said I would get rid of some of them if up to me 😅 I think Fates/Corrin was quite questionable, for instance (and I like Fates). I am calling FE3H somewhat special by FE standards (higher acclaim, fan praise, and sales than the average in the series), not saying 3H would have been entitled to a rep no matter how it was received.

All I am saying is -I- felt it was deserving of a character (after the fact, not because it's the latest entry). I think they chose the wrong one, and it's unfortunate so many other FE characters were in before them, as it made Byleth uniquely unpopular by virtue of the most recent (but in a vacuum not the most questionable) FE rep.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's neat that Hero is voted the "least boring" of the named characters in the thread poll. He's one of my favorites, thanks to the command menu keeping each match fresh. But I still thought the community here would have taken issue with him as another sword fighter in a game with its fair share of 'em (albeit THE original JRPG swordfighter).

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yep. Not gonna lie, as an Asian myself, I found it offensive.

No offense intended or not, you need to do better. Your posts were embarrassing.
Yeah, I'm going to echo parts of this. Not Asian myself, but I did feel like some generalizations were made that were a bit uncomfortable. Determining what's "correct" representation is a fraught subject that can become a self-imposed rhetorical trap.

Neiteio, let's try to do better. Myself very much included.