Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of unsubstantiated claims that sugar substitutes and sweeteners are bad for you in this thread.
backed up by reasons such as 'they have a lot of syllables' and then some personal anecdotes thrown in to really sell it.

I have not seen any evidence that artificial sweeteners are harmful to health, and even the claim that they might lead to overeating to compensate for the zero calories is inconclusive at this point.

You go for it OP, don't let the FUD get to you, it's just people using the naturalistic fallacy.

While I agree that there is no scientific evidence showing negative effects from consuming artificial sweeteners, that doesn't mean anecdotes from people who have reactions to these chemical are lies. It simply means we don't have scientific explanation for them yet.

Take these anecdotes with skepticism if you will and feel free to consume sugar-free drink to your desire. Just keep in mind that if you happen to have negative side effects from it, you're not alone.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
On a similar note, people that say that regular mayo and half fat mayo taste the same are full of shit, because half fat mayo tastes LEAGUES better. I was actually shocked at how much I prefer it over regular mayo, and its half the calories!

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
On a similar note, people that say that regular mayo and half fat mayo taste the same are full of shit, because half fat mayo tastes LEAGUES better. I was actually shocked at how much I prefer it over regular mayo, and its half the calories!
I... could not disagree more, but you do you

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Yes it's a life saver for myself. I am at risk for Diabetes, so want to avoid extra sugar as much as possible.

I use Xylitol (Stevia) as my choice, with Aspartame (equal) if I don't have my own packages or in say, Coke Zero

Sadly can't use anything with sucralose (Splenda) as my body has a reaction with it. It's not common, but can happen. :0

Enjoy!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Taste aside, I find that some of the sugar substitutes really mess with my digestive system. I'll get up more at night to pee, or I'll just feel like I need to pee when I had just gone. Dunno what it is, but my body doesn't care for them.

I've switched to sparkling water with light flavoring. There are Jelly Belly branded ones that are honestly pretty good and dirt cheap. I think an 8-pack costs me $6.00.

I still try not to go overboard with them, so only maybe two or three a week, but they've been great to ward off actual soda. I also drink more tea.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was just searching, and all I could find are statements from like the american cancer society, an ms society, fda, fda-types in europe and elsewhere saying there's no evidence after decades of testing.

I found exactly the same thing. All tests indicates that you would need to drink between 15-18 cans of zero coke a day for an unknown period of time for anything to happen.

That's a lot of zero coke. I stand corrected :)

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Taste aside, I find that some of the sugar substitutes really mess with my digestive system. I'll get up more at night to pee, or I'll just feel like I need to pee when I had just gone. Dunno what it is, but my body doesn't care for them.

Sugar and salt make your body store water. If you reduce your intake of those two things significantly, you might very well find that you need bathroom breaks more often. I just finished a massive diet that had been going on since the summer, and frequent bathroom breaks was something I just had to get used to, including having to get up in the middle of the night. Now that I've been adding sugar and salt back in my diet, this has become less common again.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Diet sodas taste like poison to me (and I do believe all those sugar substitutes are in fact poison), the aftertaste is awful. It's a night and day difference too, I don't believe people who don't taste the difference. Then again there are people that don't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Sugar and salt make your body store water. If you reduce your intake of those two things significantly, you might very well find that you need bathroom breaks more often. I just finished a massive diet that had been going on since the summer, and frequent bathroom breaks was something I just had to get used to, including having to get up in the middle of the night. Now that I've been adding sugar and salt back in my diet, this has become less common again.
Getting up in the middle of the night is one thing, but using the bathroom before bed, laying down, and feeling like I need to pee almost two minutes after got old fast. When I cut the fake sugars, that went away.

Now it's tea before bed or hot water.

Not saying this will happen to everyone since it clearly doesn't, but it has been my experience over the last two years with trying to cut down on some of my sugar intake while looking for substitutes.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Lol

Anyone live in an area they foolishly tried olestra, a calorie free cooking oil substitute? Like the entire junk food isle went olestra for a hot second. "Only 40 calories a serving, what could possibly be the consequence?"

By day 3 everyone knew.

As for sugar free, sugar alcohol in high doses will wreck your colon.

As for the artificial sweeteners, not so dangerous up front but overall it probably won't help dieting so much. A lot of research in obesity is that hyper palatability causes the overeating, your body's hunger will ramp up until whatever excessive body fat level is hit.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They don't taste the same as their sugary versions but I'm at the point now where the sugary ones are too sweet for me so that's nice.

But yea I do like them. It's an acquired taste but once I had it i couldn't go back

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm surprised to hear so many say that Coke Zero tastes sweet, because my experience is the opposite. I like the non-sweet taste of it, though, and Coke Zero is my favorite artificially sweetened soft drink.

The most authentic sugar substitute I've tasted is Pepsi Max. Now that tastes like actual sugar, and lots of it.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Now it's time to move on to caffeine free diet Pepsi. getting rid of both sugar and caffeine were a game changer for me

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I'm low key addicted to Coke Zero, I love it and I hate it. Like, at least 500ml a day. I've been switching to water past few months but I still gotta have some Coke Zero. Anecdotally, it's not causing me any side effects like headaches or anything, but I should probably try cut it out all together cos I don't like the feeling of dependence.

Sugar-free sweets/candy on the other hand, fuck that 100%. I got the worst shits of my life from some Aldi sugar free sweets, and it was a relatively small amount too. Happened again with sugar free gummy bears and that was enough for me to never have them again.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
Be careful with aspartame in drinks. It can lead to an overactive bladder if you drink it regularly. Eventually you'll be up all night, peeing every hour.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not all zero calorie sweeteners are created equal. You could get natural ones like stevia (tho they're more expensive) if aspartame is a concern.

From what I understand, the spike in insulin numbers as if it's real sugar occurs in those that have never had artificial sweeteners prior. If you are already consuming the stuff, then the insulin spike doesn't occur.

For those that got headaches from it and dropped the diet sodas, did you replace it with water? From what I understand, sodas are not good water replacements and was just curious whether the issue is really dehydration rather than the diet soda themselves. Or it could be the caffeine.

Ultimately, diet soda isn't good for you... but it's better than regular soda. If you can ultimately switch to water then that is of course ideal. Just don't consume the stuff like water.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there is.

Aspartame is basically poison.

If you only drink every now and then, that's totally fine. If you're the type of person that drinks it like it's water, well, that's bad for you. But so is everything in excess.

And for those that are saying that Coke Zero is close to regular, what's the matter with you? I really like it and actually prefer it, but it's nowhere close to regular coke, lol.

EDIT: Also, beware of some sugar substitutes. There are a lot of them that actually spikes your glucose just like regular sugar (sucrose). The only beneficies these substitutes usually have is the lower calories count.
This is all nonsense. You should really do some research before posting things as fact.
Diet Coke tastes better than regular Coke

I've been drinking diet soda for so long that regular sugar just tastes too sweet to me
Yeah, it's disgusting. I can't drink the regular stuff.
While I agree that there is no scientific evidence showing negative effects from consuming artificial sweeteners, that doesn't mean anecdotes from people who have reactions to these chemical are lies. It simply means we don't have scientific explanation for them yet.

Take these anecdotes with skepticism if you will and feel free to consume sugar-free drink to your desire. Just keep in mind that if you happen to have negative side effects from it, you're not alone.
Yes, sure, there may be effects in SOME people, but so many people are coming in here and spouting nonsense that's completely unsubstantiated. Then getting pissy when people push back.

Deliverance

Aug 1, 2020
As a formerly obese person, then fanatic strength coach, then average programmer, I believe the ideal strategy for sugar free stuff is as a replacement good.

If you find yourself consuming a source of sugar regularly, swapping it with the sugar free one is a good strategy for the most part, if you can tolerate it. They're very helpful when doing extremely restrictive diets in the short term, too.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been like 18 months since I cut sugary drinks from my diet and Coke Zero/Pepsi Zero are a god send, they are so close to the original that I couldn't even go back.

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid "sugar free" as much as possible to be honest. I can always tell a difference in taste and also the replacement is always some chemical with 13 syllables. It can't be that much "better" than just regular sugar. And if you were trying to avoid that stuff, "sugar free" stuff is still unhealthy anyway.

Oh no! Letters!

Sugar is also a chemical with a 13 syllable name, but it is common enough to have a shorter table name.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
I like the stuff! I only ever drink one of those tiny cans of coke zero every week or so... so I'm. not the best case study, haha. A similar amount of the normal pop would make me feel mad bunk, however.

Nov 22, 2017
Last time I read a review article about sugar and sugar-free sodas they found that sugar-free was safe for you -- but they had no data for >1 sugar-free soda a day. Sodas with sugar were bad at all levels (of habitual consumption).

What I always found super interesting was the reason researchers origionally thought diet sodas were as-bad for you as a standard soda was they compared long-term health outcomes of those using diet or not but they didn't control for the fact that present day diet drinkers spent decades drinking normal soda before switching -- so they already damaged themselves.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Monk fruit extract is my sweetener of choice. More expensive than others though.

best-sugar-substitute.png

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I can't drink anything that isnt sugar free honestly, particularly drinks containing a sweetener other than aspartame or sucralose tend to make me feel very sick. Even stevia surprisingly tends to make me feel really nauseous, which is disappointing because it's a natural sweetener compared to all the artificial ones.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
It's bad for u. It messes with ur stomach microbiome and ur body doesn't know how to process synthetic food ingredients. There's no such thing as a free lunch...

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Sugar free Reeses are delicious, but only eat about 3-4 a day or else your ass will be begging for mercy

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I drink sugar-free stuff almost exclusively. The only noticeable downside is that they can give you the shits if you consume too many of them, but YMMV.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Please ignore the crowd that loves to shout "they are worse for you than sugar!" because the science just isn't there at all lol.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Monk fruit extract is my sweetener of choice. More expensive than others though.

best-sugar-substitute.png

This chart is cherry-picked nonsense by someone with an agenda against anything that can't be classified as "natural", as if that term means anything about how healthy or not something is.

I mean, look at the aspartame entry, for example. "FDA reports a large list of adverse health effects with overconsumption". What's "overconsumption" here? In fact, why not check with FDA itself? Looking at their website, they specifically point out that aspartame is safe to consume for the general public, unless you have "a rare hereditary disease known as phenylketonuria (PKU)". They even list the quantities of aspartame you must consume before it could reach harmful levels, which match what I described earlier in the thread. Based on FDA's own simplified reports, you have to, on average, consume aspartame equal to 150 (!) tablespoons of sugar in a single day before you are even at risk of adverse effects. This chart entry grossly misrepresents FDA's findings, as well as the over 90 countries that have categorized aspartame as safe. Aspartame has received more research and study than Stevia, which this chart seems to have a hard-on for. Sure, Stevia is great and all (if you can accept that it has a unique taste unlike sugar), but this chart is not trustworthy in how it represents it. That leaves everything else in the chart questionable, at best.

Much of this nonsense has its roots in the same bullshit that has caused MSG to be so reviled. There's even a Wikipedia page about the controversy.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
san pellegrino essenza is life, i just wish they stopped putting those stupid foil caps on the cans, what a waste

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Getting up in the middle of the night is one thing, but using the bathroom before bed, laying down, and feeling like I need to pee almost two minutes after got old fast. When I cut the fake sugars, that went away.

Now it's tea before bed or hot water.

Not saying this will happen to everyone since it clearly doesn't, but it has been my experience over the last two years with trying to cut down on some of my sugar intake while looking for substitutes.

I developed Interstitial bladder cystitis some months after replacing my normal sugary pop with Dr. Pepper 10 and diet pop. Which I never liked. I stopped drinking the artificial sweeteners, problem went away. For a few months. Before returning.

Made me feel like I needed to pee all of the time.

Bladder scoping (not fun!), A few years of treatments with very expensive drugs (no generic) and I'm better these days. Provided I avoid a lot of stuff.

Still can't touch artificial sweeteners, or anything really acidic (full acid OJ for example). Gotta be careful with caffeine intake too.

Not fun.

Stevia seems to be OK for me, so I switched to that mostly. Or sugar.

I can't be sure the sweeteners brought it on (correlation does not equal causation). They are part of the IC avoid these foods list for a reason.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This chart is cherry-picked nonsense by someone with an agenda against anything that can't be classified as "natural", as if that term means anything about how healthy or not something is.

I mean, look at the aspartame entry, for example. "FDA reports a large list of adverse health effects with overconsumption". What's "overconsumption" here? In fact, why not check with FDA itself? Looking at their website, they specifically point out that aspartame is safe to consume for the general public, unless you have "a rare hereditary disease known as phenylketonuria (PKU)". They even list the quantities of aspartame you must consume before it could reach harmful levels, which match what I described earlier in the thread. Based on FDA's own simplified reports, you have to, on average, consume aspartame equal to 150 (!) tablespoons of sugar in a single day before you are even at risk of adverse effects. This chart entry grossly misrepresents FDA's findings, as well as the over 90 countries that have categorized aspartame as safe. Aspartame has received more research and study than Stevia, which this chart seems to have a hard-on for. Sure, Stevia is great and all (if you can accept that it has a unique taste unlike sugar), but this chart is not trustworthy in how it represents it. That leaves everything else in the chart questionable, at best.

Much of this nonsense has its roots in the same bullshit that has caused MSG to be so reviled. There's even a Wikipedia page about the controversy.

It's literally insane how much anti-sweetener propaganda there is out there. Reminds me of the discussion around GMOs.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the info. I normally find KetoConnect to be well researched and they haven't struck me as science deniers, but I'm guessing they have an agenda against Aspartame for whatever reason.