• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Had this rattling around my head for a few months. I listen to a tonne of podcasts, and a good portion of them are the interview format: regular host, new guest every week, forty or so minutes of chat one on one. You could probably say that Marc Maron is the grandfather of the form, but I'm interested to hear who you folks think takes the crown.

For me it's a toss up between Michael Ian Black and Adam Buxton. They're wildly different in style, but I think they both make an effort to really branch out with both topic and interviewee, rather than limit themselves to a specific field or industry.

Michael Ian Black is probably the most astute interviewer I've listened to in ages, constantly surprising the interview subjects with links between topics that the person he's talking to weren't aware of, and quite regularly manages to cut to the meat of a subject in a way that is both incisive and disarming. Some highlights are his interviews with Daniel Kanneman, Suzy Favor Hamilton, Tim Gunn, and Valarie Plame.

Adam-Buxton-Podcast-Artwork-HG-1500px_670.jpg

Adam Buxton, on the other hand, is incredibly conversational, but he does a really lovely thing of allowing the interview to just ramble in whatever direction, without forcing it into a rigid structure. It allows you to get a really human, personal view of his subjects, in a candid, often almost uncomfortably intimate context. Highlights include Charlie Brooker, Paul Thomas Anderson, Johnny Greenwood, a massive two part interview with Brian Eno, and a startling interview with Syrian refugee Hassan Akkad.

So who else you got, Era?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Does Fresh Air count? Terry Gross is probably the best interviewer alive.

I actually don't listen to many interview podcasts anymore. I probably listened to Marc Maron the most back in like 2008-2014.

OP
OP
Arkestry

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Eh she's more of a straight up journalist. It's not like Serial or her segments on TAL are particularly about the quality of the interview, so much as the composition of the story and the quality of the investigation. The second season of Serial was even mostly comprised of someone else's interview with the main subject.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think we can all agree it's Joe Rogan, he's pretty impartial

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Eh she's more of a straight up journalist. It's not like Serial or her segments on TAL are particularly about the quality of the interview, so much as the composition of the story and the quality of the investigation. The second season of Serial was even mostly comprised of someone else's interview with the main subject.

You know what, I was actually thinking of Terry Gross. Had to Google.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
If verbally fellating 'intellectuals' for 2 and a half hours and doing very little research on guests makes a good interviewer, sure, Rogan is up there.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
From what little I've seen of his, the interviews are just way too aimless for me. And they're mostly like 2 hours plus, right? Dude needs an editor.
...I was being facetious in the hopes of getting some attention, but it looks like that isn't gonna happen

I've always been a fan of Kevin Pollack's podcast. Haven't listened to it in years, but I remember really enjoying listening to him.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pod Save crew in general are pretty great interviewers. If I had to pick one, it's probably Favreau, but his and Lovett's interview with Jimmy Carter last week was great because of the way they kind of play off each others questions.

I don't know though. Flipping through my pocketcasts I'm realizing that I don't listen to a lot of interview heavy podcasts these days.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How the fuck are people seriously suggesting that most intolerable of neurotic narcissists, Marc Maron? Yeah, maybe he's the greatest interviewer around if your interests chiefly lie in "what anecdote from X celebrity's personal history most obviously reflects one of Marc's many neuroses?"

OP
OP
Arkestry

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
How the fuck are people seriously suggesting that most intolerable of neurotic narcissists, Marc Maron? Yeah, maybe he's the greatest interviewer around if your interests chiefly lie in "what anecdote from X celebrity's personal history most obviously reflects one of Marc's many neuroses?"

I also gotta say that having 15 minutes of him talking about his cat and noodling on the guitar before he start should disqualify him from contention.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Russ Roberts, for a wide variety of subjects, but especially and unsurprisingly economics.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the people I listen to its Bill Simmons.

But honestly he is not the best at it. I just listen to crap podcasts.

You see this when Chuck Klosterman comes on and asks a ton of interesting questions of Bill and whatever subject in general they are discussing.

I would pay money for a regular Klosterman podcast.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I do enjoy Rogan despite the hate he gets on here. He usually asks the same follow up questions I would think to ask. Plus the podcasts are typicaly long and he keeps it interesting the whole way through.

I used to like Mark Maron but not anymore. He got a little too smug and got annoying to me.

Michael Rapaport has some funny convos with the guests he brings in. They're usually on the same wavelength I think by design. He's a mad shit talker.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we can all agree it's Joe Rogan, he's pretty impartial

Lol

images

Joe Rogan is one of the worst interviewers, because he spends the whole interview sucking up to them and very rarely criticises his controversial guests - coupled with his huge fanbase, it's essentially a podcast spreading misinformation to millions. Hes a gateway drug to a lot of far right characters

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

images

Joe Rogan is one of the worst interviewers, because he spends the whole interview sucking up to them and very rarely criticises his controversial guests - coupled with his huge fanbase, it's essentially a podcast spreading misinformation to millions. Hes a gateway drug to a lot of far right characters

I think this will largely depend on whether or not you are American. We don't expect our journalists or hosts to ask the "tough" questions. It is more about flow.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Evan Kleiman - Good Food

Thoughtful questions about food culture, and she lets the person who has experience and knowledge in the area answer the questions thoroughly. She doesn't cut them off, doesn't assume, doesn't try to answer the questions for them because that's so easy to do in this day and age with Wiki and Google.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this will largely depend on whether or not you are American. We don't expect our journalists or hosts to ask the "tough" questions. It is more about flow.

It's more that he will let talk the other person talk about the controversies, but not show the strong counter argument. Like Peterson comes on and shits on and mischaracterizes a Canadian transgender bill, talks about free speech "crisis", Joe agrees with Peterson, but doesn't mention the fact the top lawyers in the country have called Peterson out or the data that goes against the free speech crisis narrative. He does this for almost all his right winger guests. The only times I've seen him push back are when it comes to climate change or diet. A simple "what's your evidence for this point" would be enough, instead his guests are presented as experts, presenting their expert opinions. But they're just selling anecdotal experiences as truth.

Dave Rubin is just another host, Candace Owens is the director of turning point media. There's no mention that they're funded by the Koch Brothers, or have pretty clear agendas when you look at their previous work.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Terry Gross.

Edit to actually say something on the subject: It's amazing when they honor a recently passed person by replaying old interviews and sometimes they go back to like 1983. Terry's been in the game a long time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Another vote for Rogan. His guests are extremely relaxed on his show and it seems like you're listening in on two people talking at a bar or party.