• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos, Master Chief, Waluigi, Angry Birds, Steve from Minecraft, Trevor/Michael/franklyn, Olimar, Bayonetta, Sam Fisher, Agent 47, Nathan Drake, Dante, Joanna Dark, Max Payne, Mii's, Rosalina,
This is one of the threads where some of them serious answers are funnier than the joke ones. Fucking Olimar? According to wiki the series hasn't even sold 5 million copies.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Probably Master Chief.... although Kratos and Nathan Drake are pretty close, especially after how well GOW and U4 did this gen.

Nov 21, 2017
Tom Nook, of course

/s

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
How about Wreck-It Ralph? It's an edge case, as he was created for a movie, but he's a video game character both in the movies and in real video games. And since he was in a big hit movie with tons of marketing everywhere, he's probably pretty darn recognizable. Until today I had no idea who "Minecraft Steve" was (except for guessing that it's probably the name of the main guy, so I've managed to play as him without knowing the character), and I suspect that my knowledge of who Master Chief and Kratos is stems from my deep history playing games, while most people might have a passing recognition of them but maybe not.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief is cool and all, but is he really more popular worldwide than say Steve and the Creeper from Minecraft?

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
It's Spartan John-117, the Master Chief. Hundreds of people have seen my Chief tattoo and not a single person has ever asked me "who is that/what is that from". You have to remember, from 2001-2010 he was EVERYWHERE

Oct 25, 2017
How about Wreck-It Ralph? It's an edge case, as he was created for a movie, but he's a video game character both in the movies and in real video games. And since he was in a big hit movie with tons of marketing everywhere, he's probably pretty darn recognizable. Until today I had no idea who "Minecraft Steve" was (except for guessing that it's probably the name of the main guy, so I've managed to play as him without knowing the character), and I suspect that my knowledge of who Master Chief and Kratos is stems from my deep history playing games, while most people might have a passing recognition of them but maybe not.
There's no edge case here. He's the main character of a Walt Disney Animation Studios theatrical release first and foremost. He's not a video game character.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MineCraft is much much more popular than all the others and more lasting than the angry birds and assimilates (in the sense of broad appeal, young kids-friendly).
Master Chief doesn't talk AT ALL to most of my colleagues with children, Minecraft talks to all of them.Halo lost its relevancy, if it ever had one outside of US gamers.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Steve. Master Chief is undoubtedly pretty huge, but Minecraft is way bigger than Halo ever was.

You have to originate from a video game to be a video game character. Wreck-It-Ralph is a movie/film character.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Steve would be my guess, with Master Chief being a distant second.

Dec 6, 2017
Definitely Master Chief. Everyone sees that facade and knows Halo. Everything else is well known amongst gamers, but for people that don't play video games they have no idea.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Minecraft guy

Halo guy. ( I seriously found out his name was master chief in like 2011 lol)

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Right this very moment? Probably The Fortnite Characters.

I kid, but I also would not be 100% surprised to see them in Smash.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Most famous as in recognizable even among non-gamers? (Like Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, and Pac-Man are)

Minecraft iconography, without question. Even if they can't name Steve or Creeper, I would argue more people in Western societies recognize them as "Minecraft characters" than not.

Master Chief might be the runner-up among gamers, but not non-gamers. I would argue Master Chief isn't very distinguishable at all from say, Doomguy, to someone who didn't know him. In 2018 I might even say Kratos is more recognizable (among gamers and non-gamers). The real 2nd place after Minecraft, are Miis.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Masterchef are showing their age imo.

Steve (Minecraft) might be right, but I'd bet a certain person in a very successful mp game has them beat.

zwwlvzjj0ximj6hsaxyi.jpg